Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

• Author

Liam
    Participant

@wrexview 10091 wrote:

Surprised by that, as Sky News saying that it houses many sex offenders !

The category is more about the level to which they can be trusted not to escape rather than the nature of their crimes as I understand it, although category A does generally house the most serious offenders.

Copied and pasted off Wiki:

Category A Those whose escape would be highly dangerous to the public or national security. Offences that may result in consideration for Category A or Restricted Status include: , Attempted murder, Manslaughter, Wounding with intent, Rape, Indecent assault, Robbery or conspiracy to rob (with firearms), Firearms offences, Importing or supplying Class A controlled drugs, Possessing or supplying explosives, Offences connected with terrorism and Offences under the Official Secrets Act

Category B Those who do not require maximum security, but for whom escape still needs to be very difficult.

Category C Those who cannot be trusted in open conditions but who are unlikely to try to escape

Open prison Category D Those who can be reasonably trusted not to try to escape, and are given the privilege of an open prison. Prisoners at ‘D Cat’ (as it is commonly known) prisons, are, subject to approval, given ROTL (Release On Temporary Licence) to work in the community or to go on ‘home leave’ once they have passed their FLED (Full Licence Eligibility Dates), which is usually a quarter of the way through the sentence.

wrexview
    Participant

Just listening to the discussion on Sky News, they are suggesting that there is pressure to re categorised prisoners downwardly due to lack of space in category A and B establishments.

Liam
    Participant

Will be interesting to see what happens to the Wrexham prison, built to category B standards and the MoJ aren’t ruling out upgrading it to that category at a later date.

dewi73
    Participant

I’m sure any prisoner with less than a year to serve will become a cat C prisoner before release

wrexview
    Participant

Would the public perceive a category B prison less acceptable than a category C one ?

Liam
    Participant

@wrexview 10096 wrote:

Would the public perceive a category B prison less acceptable than a category C one ?

I think an immediate negative connection would be made by the public, but it would have little impact on them. More likely to effect staff and prisoners.

dewi73
    Participant

@wrexview 10096 wrote:

I think the media expect the public to be concerned about prisoners escaping when we all know that this is unlikely to happen regardless of what category prison it will be.
    My major concerns and that of others I have spoken to is the detrimental effect it will have on the perceived image of Wrexham.
    I think the Councillors involved have acted naively expecting this Prison to be a saviour to Wrexham when in fact it could be a drain on the local resources.

Liam
    Participant

@dewi73 10102 wrote:

I think the media expect the public to be concerned about prisoners escaping when we all know that this is unlikely to happen regardless of what category prison it will be.
    My major concerns and that of others I have spoken to is the detrimental effect it will have on the perceived image of Wrexham.
    I think the Councillors involved have acted naively expecting this Prison to be a saviour to Wrexham when in fact it could be a drain on the local resources.

In my experience it’s the other way round regarding the media and the public on fear of escapees. I reported a public meeting regarding the prison with MoJ officials and Pentre Maelor residents present. Personally I don’t see prison escapes as an issue due to them being a rare occurrence in closed prisons, but it became very apparent that it is a big worry for local residents.

I think you’re spot on about the impact it could have on the town’s image though. You only have to look on Twitter this evening to see the number of people who have made derogatory comments about Maidstone because of the prison riots, including the town’s own residents! I’m not sure having the UK’s biggest prison will be a big attraction.

zinger
    Participant

No matter what we would like Wrexham to be known for, it will be known for having the largest prison. You can forget the best markets & the best coal, steel, iron, brickworks, brewing, one of the oldest football grounds & all the proud industry which went before. In fifty years down the line unless someone does something very quickly that is what it will become. Lincoln has/had a prison quite close to the hospital but it did have the most beautiful cathedral which was the first & last thing to be seen as you entered the city. Looking from the high ground at the town, what was once the most outstanding building, the Parish Church, was replaced by the hideous police station.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’’ is closed to new replies.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News