Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

• Author

Metalhead
    Participant

”unlikely to make a determined escape attempt” ?:confused:

How exactly do the prison service determine how ”unlikely” a prisoner may be to make a serious attempt to escape? Apart from perhaps those with very little left of their sentence would most prisoners not make a serious attempt to escape if that was at all possible? Also if prisoners are really to be taken outside of the prison parameters would that not give them an ideal opportunity to try and bolt?

dewi73
    Participant

dewi73
    Participant

wxm
    Participant

If Wrexham is to be the place for this prison, then Wrexham must publish a plan which considers the future needs of each aspect of the County. What will our economy look like, what will the industrial estate look like, what will Wrexham town centre look like, who will want to live in Wrexham County, what will peoples skills be, for example what will the relationship of the local hospital be to a prison.

It should be understood where the prison fits into this overall plan for Wrexham, its effects on the economy, the community, the rewards and the risks. In twenty years, a prison will no doubt have changed the nature of Wrexham, and we should go into this with our eyes open. While reports have been published, data and information quoted seems to be from an original study, and has not been re-reported as changes to the proposals have emerged.

DIEARD
    Participant

Just reading some concerns about effects on the local area this super prison may have. I live in llwyn onn . What are the chances this will effect my house value and insurances of all kind going up? I was thinking that with higher police presence in the area that insurances wouldn’t be affected, but I’ve read otherwise. I do want to look at selling in a few years, do I sell now instead? What are your thoughts on these issues

dewi73
    Participant

@DIEARD 8045 wrote:

Just reading some concerns about effects on the local area this super prison may have. I live in llwyn onn . What are the chances this will effect my house value and insurances of all kind going up? I was thinking that with higher police presence in the area that insurances wouldn’t be affected, but I’ve read otherwise. I do want to look at selling in a few years, do I sell now instead? What are your thoughts on these issues

It might be easier to sell now before the ‘rush’ in a few years.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

The trouble is when is the right time. If you are happy there and sell, then the prison doesn’t materialise, would you regret it? If you don’t sell now and prices do tumble then again you would regret not acting earlier. As most people in the area are aware of the proposed prison would it be easy to find a buyer anyway. I don’t envy you having to choose.

wxm
    Participant

An economy cannot be built on the activity of a prison. Strong people value systems build communities and economies. Public services are an outcome of those communities value systems and economic achievement. A prison will have to sit on top of a successful economy, or it will take precedent and become the economy, in which case local housing, education, health and retail will falter.

dewi73
    Participant

Grayling ploughs on with plan for

“Critics said the new mega-jails would become monolithic “warehouses” that struggled to rehabilitate offenders, while fierce opposition campaigns were threatened in areas where they could be opened. The idea was again dropped.”

It amazes me how the Wrexham Council campaigned for this prison in the first place considering that the previous Labour government rejected the idea of ‘titan jails’.

NJones
    Participant

According to the BBC this morning one of the locations has ‘pulled out’ leaving the former Firestone site in the running. The site that has pulled out is privately owned and is hoped to be used for a power station.
    Source: BBC News – Kingmoor Park ‘out of the running’ for new Wrexham jail

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’’ is closed to new replies.

More...

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News

MMA Event coming to north east Wales this weekend!

News