Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’

• Author

Rob
    Participant

Wrexham Still A Possible Location For New Super Prison | Wrexham.com

It seems the long mooted ‘super prison’ is still on the cards – with Wrexham Industrial Estate area being one site talked about.

I tweeted this story up earlier and the reaction all seemed fairly positive and in favour of it – with the only worries being ‘house prices’ and that visitors to the prison may not be welcome around here!

It would be a big prison , thus the ‘super’ or ‘mega’ tag, of 2000+ prisoners.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Not good for the branding of the town. The area is already perceived to be the landfill for the north west, now it could be where people are most likely sent, if they are found to be foul of the law.

A few 100 jobs is not worth the branding disaster for the town.

Incinerator yes, prison no.

Sam
    Participant

Why doesn’t anyone want to invest in something for the feel good factor in Wrexham ?
    Please don’t say any of the shopping sites. Feel good !

Getting into town at 9am or the weekend is not feel good.

wrexview
    Participant

Do you think it will actually be built? There is obviously spare capacity if they can close places like Shrewsbury by April.

Sam
    Participant

Probably dipping their toe in the water first regarding building it.

I could save them the building costs by creating more space !

It’s not a new concept, corporal & capital punishment !

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Sam 3052 wrote:

Probably dipping their toe in the water first regarding building it.

I could save them the building costs by creating more space !

It’s not a new concept, corporal & capital punishment !

Do you know what the re-offending figures are for corporal punishment, as it may mean less prisons needed but more crimes..

Pretty sure i read in one of the sunday papers at the weekend that community sentencing has at en per cent better success rate of no re-offending than the jail terms… food for thought that.

Sam
    Participant

Regarding the re-offending after corporal punishment, it maybe the same rate as sending them to a place where it actually improves their quality of life.

But you got me on the second point, I’m all for community sentencing, as long as its enforced and the sentence fits the crime.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Sam 3056 wrote:

Regarding the re-offending after corporal punishment, it maybe the same rate as sending them to a place where it actually improves their quality of life.

But you got me on the second point, I’m all for community sentencing, as long as its enforced and the sentence fits the crime.

Agree about punishment, there has to be an element of punishment that makes the victim or loved ones of the vicitim feel better. As we all judge time jailed a value… e.g.a drink driver who kills a child and only gets 6 months – we all then ask is a child’s life worth only 6 months.

But why do jail sentences only include jail sentences, why can’t they include community sentences once the prisoner has achieved parole, thereby reducing the prison population?

On the subject of the super prison, I don’t think Wrexham’s reputation should be sullied by becoming the most likely place where people are sent as punishment for lawbreakers, just because the big parties all want to look tough on crime. Wrexham is not Coventry, the corner or the naughty step.

wrexview
    Participant

What do they do in Barcelona ?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@wrexview 3063 wrote:

What do they do in Barcelona ?

Sorry, but i’ve never read a report on the penal system or discussed it with anyone.

Will ask around.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Wrexham Getting ‘Super Prison’’ is closed to new replies.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News