Wrexham Food Festival 2013

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Food Festival 2013

• Author

Rob
    Participant

Wrexham.com popped down to both days of the Food Festival this weekend and you can find our round up here : https://www.wrexham.com/news/wrexham-food-festival-2013-32242.html

It includes some of the tweets we had sent in to us which were mixed in praise, feedback to make it better and some complaints.

Did you go down? What did you make of it?

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I couldn’t attend the festival as am in the middle of home improvements and every weekend is spent working :(

I did take a peek at the web cam on Llwyn Isaf and it looked quite busy. I hope the fund raising went well :)

Adam
    Participant

As per the tweets really..

Great to see such a turnout. The queue to get in was up past the guild hall at one point. Really good selection of fast food stalls outside too.. Burger, beer, sunshine and live music.. Bliss..:-)

As others have mentioned, inside the tent was pretty cramped and the total number of stalls was less than I would have expected..
    Most frustratingly, as I mentioned on another thread, was that most of the stalls were not from the local area which is a bit of a joke when you notice the ‘sponsors’ and promoters were Wrexham council, LocalFoodFirst, the European Agriculture fund for rural development: Investing in Rural Areas and the WAG, amongst others. Yet many local producers couldn’t afford to attend.

It was still an enjoyable afternoon however although it left me wondering why on earth did the council think I wasn’t viable to have a similar setup every month, or even quarterly, when this festival and the Victorian market have been the biggest crowd pullers in the past 12 months.

On a vaguely connected topic, I just watched the final Mary Portas episode about saving the High Street. Highly recommended if you missed it. A lot of the comments on this forum were echoed throughout the series. Anyhow, it got me pondering about rents in the town so I checked the council site. On it is a pic of the high St cafe to let in the butchers market but it must be from yonks ago (dark red frontage and the cafe was called Tomlinsons) as I really don’t recall it looking like this. Anybody else remember? I can’t believe how smart it looked compared to the greasy cafe facade that replaced it.

Can’t get link to work but look for ‘vacant properties town centre’ PDF on council website..page 6.

Rob
    Participant

Turnout was 2750 apparently over the weekend, and 75% local stalls.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Rob;6806 wrote:

How much did it cost to put on?

Rob
    Participant

Not sure.

WAG put some cash in via I grant I think, along the lines of Welsh Government | Support for Food Festivals , and it was an event ‘in partnership’ with Nightingale House.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Rob;6814 wrote:
    Not sure.

WAG put some cash in via I grant I think, along the lines of Welsh Government | Support for Food Festivals , and it was an event ‘in partnership’ with Nightingale House.

fab hopefully this means cash for nightingale house as well as cash for the stalls.

it’s increased the gdp of the town as well as for charity… that’s great.

Rob
    Participant

That appears to be the aim going by whats been said, and its an event that can become (or is?) cost neutral to the Council so in theory a magic win win win !

Nightingale House certainly seem very pleased with how it went, and feedback stated on twitter and internet forums (!) has been noted so I wouldnt be surprised if its bigger and better next time around.

Adam
    Participant

@Rob 6806 wrote:

Who made the 75% claim? That’s some way of my interpretation of local.. make your own minds up from the list below.

Niggles aside, it was a great event and I was very happy to put my hand in my pocket for a good cause. Plenty of room for improvement to make it bigger and better though.

2013 Exhibitors

Aballu Artisan Chocolatier Rossett
    Alison’s Home Made Treats Malpas
    American Street Food Wrexham
    Amore Pizza North West?
    Big Hand Brewery Wrexham
    Caffeine Rush National Franchise
    Caws Cenarth Carmarthenshire
    Celtic Spirit Anglesey
    Clear Black Wine Wrexham
    Coleg Menai Anglesey
    Condesa Welsh Liquers Anglesey
    DD Thai Food Warrington
    Food Business Assistance Dolgellau
    Food Station Wales Bangor
    Frost and Velvet Wrexham
    Fussels Fine Foods Somerset
    Hannah Restaurant Whitchurch
    Home Farm Wrexham
    GlitterArty ?
    Little Tastle Chester
    Llangollen Brewery Llangollen
    Local Food First Wrexham
    Megans Kitchen Llangollen
    Mon ar Lwy Anglesey
    Mon Stir Sauce Anglesey
    North wales Brewery Abergele
    North Wales Hog Roast Prestatyn
    Orchard Pigs Wrexham
    Ostrich Direct Preston
    Penypound Preserves Mid Wales
    Pieroth Luton
    Radfords Meats Oswestry
    Riverford Veg National Franchise
    Rosies Cider Llandegla
    Rustic Cooks ?
    Spanish Churros Bolton
    Ultimate Fudge Cheshire
    Village Bakery Wrexham
    Wrexham Lager Wrexham

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News