[quote quote=140403]Needle exchanges are available at:
    Wrexham CDAT, Swn-y-Coed, Grove Road, Wrexham, LL11 1DY
    AND
    Detox Unit, Hafan Wen, Watery Road, Wrexham, LL13 7NQ

The number to call to report needles is:
    Pride in Our Streets (street Scene) – 01978 298989

OR
    email them on [email protected]
    OR complete the online form at https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/env_services/service_requests/syringes.cfm

Needles can also be disposed of at any GPs or pharmacy.

How anyone can say there’s no way to report it, or there’s no needle exchange is beyond me, and simply strikes me as apathy from some of the general public, for which we have a strong representative sample of the apathetic population right here on this forum.

If you want to see fewer needles in public spaces, you need to report it and support the ‘authorities’ in keeping the county clean. The problem isn’t with the ‘authorities’ (as you can see above) to fix, as there’s plenty of opportunity for exchange or disposal, it lies with the users. Clearly the users don’t give a fig, it’s therefore up to the public to report any needles that they spot.

Want to propose any other solutions?[/quote]
    I can honestly say I did not know the number existed until today. So I had no way of reporting needles.

zinger
    Participant

I don’t think that we are apathetic with regards to this problem. I have not seen any discarded needles but if I did then I would not rest until I found someone to report it to & would check that collection has also been made. I would have thought that the obvious place to start looking would be Streetscene. With regards to needle exchange, since I personally do not have, or want to have, any connection with the drug taking fraternity, I have not taken the trouble to find our where needles can be exchanged.

Nen
    Participant

AND

OR
    OR complete the online form at https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/env_services/service_requests/syringes.cfm

How anyone can say there’s no way to report it, or there’s no needle exchange is beyond me, and simply strikes me as apathy from some of the general public, for which we have a strong representative sample of the apathetic population right here on this forum.

If you want to see fewer needles in public spaces, you need to report it and support the ‘authorities’ in keeping the county clean. The problem isn’t with the ‘authorities’ (as you can see above) to fix, as there’s plenty of opportunity for exchange or disposal, it lies with the users. Clearly the users don’t give a fig, it’s therefore up to the public to report any needles that they spot.

The Council ought to know by now where the “hotspots” are for needles and be checking them on a regular basis, not waiting for the public to do their jobs for them.

bubble
    Participant

AND

OR

On this thread about the hotline, there are 8 “voices”, which is clearly not a sufficient number to support reliable inferences about attitudes in Wrexham. This sample is also self-selected and self-reporting. I fail to see how it is a representative sample of anything.

I prefer to think of myself not as apathetic, more as cynical and weary, ground down by previous numerous but ultimately futile attempts to get issues dealt with.

Well done to those users who engage with needle exchange schemes or take the time to dispose of needles at the GP or pharmacy. In this item https://www.wrexham.com/news/increased-policing-promised-after-chief-inspector-humbled-by-accounts-of-rhosddu-anti-social-behaviour-122554.html, published a year ago today, a person who had attended a meeting about the problems in Rhosddu stated that “The health board have issued 250,000 syringes but collected none”. Perhaps they were making it up, or misheard it. Maybe the situation has undergone a vast improvement over the year, and I just didn’t notice.

As for other solutions, I don’t think needles should simply be given out in the first place. If addicts cannot be relied upon to engage with needle exchange programmes voluntarily, then make then compulsory. It’s curious how the issue of discarded needles is out of the control of the council or the NHS or the police or [insert organisation here], yet blame can be apportioned to me. I will continue to ignore any discarded needles that I see – I do not find being accused of being part of the problem to be a persuasive argument to do otherwise. I’m not endangering anyone – others are exposed to the same level of danger as I am, by the same people (drug addicts), using free needles that are handed out by the same authorities (NHS, Welsh Gov, or whoever), who are well aware that many needles will be discarded in this way. Perhaps when I feel that the authorities are taking a more responsible approach to the issue, then I might do so too.

Another solution might be to set up a telephone number for reporting drug addicts where someone will come and pluck them off the street and take them to rehab or prison – that’s a number I’d ring.

CarolThomas
    Participant

I fully sympathise with your views, however :
    Detox is generally unavailable as there are only very few beds in Wrexham and surrounding area
    Many of the addicts are unwilling to contemplate a change and see their destiny is an early grave
    You were right about the number of needles dispensed and none collected.
    The war of words between the Council and the Crime Commissioner on who will pay for PCSO s in the next year- both Council and PCC are saying no will mean fewer uniforms on the street so less deterrent leads to more of a problem

flipper
    Participant

The pharmacy’s that take part in the needle exchange program make money for participating in the program, as a condition why can’t the pharmacy’s have a room? So that it’s done under supervision? This way pharmacy’s can help communities with less needles strewn around the area after all it’s them that’s making the profit.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=140600]The pharmacy’s that take part in the needle exchange program make money for participating in the program, as a condition why can’t the pharmacy’s have a room? So that it’s done under supervision? This way pharmacy’s can help communities with less needles strewn around the area after all it’s them that’s making the profit.[/quote]

I am someone who would support the trial of ‘shooting up’ rooms in the right location and environment, but not at local community pharmacies. It is not something the likes of the elderly and people with young children picking up prescriptions should have to put up with – endless queues of drug takers, all cagey and shaking, waiting for it to be their turn to get high. Where do they go after to be out of their head? What happens if they can’t afford a fix today, do they start begging outside the pharmacy? Start pestering people for their prescription drugs? Start trying to steal from other drug users? Are we to expect a queue of 15 of them at 9am? Waiting for it to open up? What happens on a Sunday when it’s closed?

Lots of questions and concerns.

flipper
    Participant

Hi Matt, I don’t think any of us has the answers to this, Arfon Jones the pcc wants a fix room, can you imagine wherever this is sited it will kill the place, just look at the issues in Rhosddu, i just think the pharmacy’s who are in the scheme make considerable profit from it must take some responsibility. But I’m sure others will have ideas also

Council Watcher
    Participant

I cant agree about a fixed room — the style of drug taking means that users very often will inject or smoke their substance of choice within a relatively short time after ‘scoring’.

A drug purchase in Rhosddu is unlikely then to be consumed in another part of town where a room is available. There is evidence that the average time between purchase and consumptions less than 15 minutes- how many rooms would you need to set up to cover the town. Setting up one is the opening of the door for lots to be established — but in whose backyard?

bubble
    Participant

In Wrexham Leader today: http://www.oldleaderlivestory.co.uk/home/2017/11/20/gallery/more-than-30-needles-left-overnight-at-a-wrexham-retail-park-100326/

“Cllr Phil Wynn, Brynyffynnon Ward, told the Leader drug users are now being issued with a black plastic ‘safe box gadget’ to put the needles in after using them.
    But at the scene on Friday, the boxes had been discarded and needles were left next to them.
    Cllr Wynn added: “I’m not surprised to hear about this, they are going to find places off the beaten track. We know we have heroin addicts in Wrexham, some are on the street, we will from time to time come across them.
    “I am not surprised that number of needles was found at one location. The crucial point is it’s up to the land owner to keep it clear.”

My favourite part in this is how “The crucial point is it’s up to the land owner to keep it clear.”. No blame attached to the addicts who drop the needles next to (but not inside) the “safe box gadget”.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News