Wrexham Discarded Needle Hotline

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Discarded Needle Hotline

• Author

bubble
    Participant

Only 40 calls in one year – less than one per week. I’ve seen discarded needles and not reported them. I don’t feel it is my responsibility to report them. I think it is the responsibility of “the authorities” (e.g. police, council, addiction charities) to come up with a proactive way of protecting the general public against hypodermic needles. After all, it is the authorities that supply the needles to drug users, in full knowledge that many of these needles will be discarded wherever. It may not be a legal requirement for a needle exchange, rather than just handing needles out, but I don’t see why a needle exchange policy could not be adopted anyway. It seems to me that the authorities have a conscience when it comes to drug addicts, in that they want them to have clean needles to avoid exposure to blood-borne diseases – but there is no such consideration for other members of the public who can easily come across these discarded needles. Some needles will be discarded in parks where children play.

Animal Mother
    Participant

[quote quote=140357]…I’ve seen discarded needles and not reported them. I don’t feel it is my responsibility to report them. …Some needles will be discarded in parks where children play.[/quote]

You appear to be part of the problem. How do you expect the “authorities” to act if they don’t know what or where the problem is. Surely any right minded person would, if they saw something dangerous (especially to children as you put it), report it to allow it to be sorted?

Whose responsibility is it to report something that YOU’VE seen?

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=140357]I don’t feel it is my responsibility to report them.[/quote]

Great attitude. Let’s hope you never have an accident and a passerby or witness has the same attitude as you.

dagg
    Participant

Who do we report this issue to, is their a phone number to contact. Mind you I have never found any needles.

zinger
    Participant

Whilst not agreeing about the reporting of needle finds, Bubble does have a point about a needle exchange. There must be a reason why this is not done.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=140371]Who do we report this issue to, is their a phone number to contact. Mind you I have never found any needles.[/quote]

Exactly, and would there be a response to someone reporting it in any case ?

and as Zinger says why isn’t a needle exchange policy done, again the type’s/users of these sort of issues bear no responsibility whatsoever for their actions which is why generally they get such little sympathy.

As far as Bubble being part of the problem, that seems a bit harsh and unfair !

Council Watcher
    Participant

Many of the discarded needles are unused – the supply in multi packs is more than a user needs for a fix – the others are a waste — two issues. the extra cost is not necessary and then the discarding of needles from people who may not come down from a fix in the same location as they injected leaving dirty needles. This is one of the reasons why Arfon Jones as Police Commissioner is advocating for rooms tio be availabe for injecting.

Not ideal but moving users from injecting to inhaling or digesting substances us safer than needle discarded.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=140383]

Who do we report this issue to, is their a phone number to contact. Mind you I have never found any needles.

Exactly, and would there be a response to someone reporting it in any case ?

and as Zinger says why isn’t a needle exchange policy done, again the type’s/users of these sort of issues bear no responsibility whatsoever for their actions which is why generally they get such little sympathy.

As far as Bubble being part of the problem, that seems a bit harsh and unfair ![/quote]

Thanks. Actually, I am not part of the problem. I may not be part of the solution (or rather the solution as Animal Mother sees it), but neither am I part of the problem; the needles are there regardless of whether I see them or not. I don’t discard the needles; I’m under no obligation to report them and I’m not expected to report other litter, such as dog sh*t. I have seen needles as I walk to work, in full view of anyone who passes by – including people taking their kids to school – and they have still been there when I walk home at the end of the day. Perhaps other people are not reporting them either, or maybe they are reporting them and no action is taken. It might be interesting to know how many people notice needles and don’t ring the number, but they’re not likely to admit to it on this thread now.
    I was assuming the total of 40 calls was absurdly low, but perhaps it is a triumph for Wrexham. Perhaps there really were only 40 other discarded needles in Wrexham in the space of a year, and EVERYONE who saw them reported them (well, everyone other than me, and those on my walking route).
    I don’t know what the number is to ring to report it, whether it’s a free phone number, 24 hours, answered as promptly as 101, or how long it takes for someone to come and collect the needles. Does the needle have to be on public land – and how can I determine whether it is? Should I remain on site until the needle is collected, perhaps set up a cordon? Should I factor in extra time for my journey in order to provide this public service?
    As I entered a pharmacy a few weeks ago two women were leaving, one complaining to the other that she had “only” been given 8 needles to last her the weekend. That’s 8 needles that she’s unlikely to have taken back to the pharmacy. Even if not dumped in a public place, where do these needles end up? How safely are they disposed of?
    My recollection is that the free needles are dispensed in accordance with Welsh Government rules and that the NHS/Council/Police/whoever have no say in this and so are apparently unable to do anything about it.
    I have made more than my fair share of telephone calls about anti-social behaviour, drug use, drug dealing and violent behaviour. I’ve contacted the police, social services and housing associations. I have learned that at best they do nothing, and are usually indiscreet too. There is very little point in reporting anything.

Council Watcher
    Participant

There does not appear to be a number on the Council website to report needles that are discarded but there is a form == https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/env_services/service_requests/syringes.cfm

If I recollect correctly there was going to be a dedicated phone line for Councillors to use — I suggest that you bombard your Councillor everytime you spot one as they should be able to arrange for the removal.

http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1

The other point about less discarded needles may be that the contract the Council have with Cais funded from the Council Enabling Grant scheme to supplement Streetscene may also be effective.

Animal Mother
    Participant

Needle exchanges are available at:
    Wrexham CDAT, Swn-y-Coed, Grove Road, Wrexham, LL11 1DY
    AND
    Detox Unit, Hafan Wen, Watery Road, Wrexham, LL13 7NQ

The number to call to report needles is:
    Pride in Our Streets (street Scene) – 01978 298989
    OR
    email them on [email protected]
    OR complete the online form at https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/env_services/service_requests/syringes.cfm

Needles can also be disposed of at any GPs or pharmacy.

How anyone can say there’s no way to report it, or there’s no needle exchange is beyond me, and simply strikes me as apathy from some of the general public, for which we have a strong representative sample of the apathetic population right here on this forum.

If you want to see fewer needles in public spaces, you need to report it and support the ‘authorities’ in keeping the county clean. The problem isn’t with the ‘authorities’ (as you can see above) to fix, as there’s plenty of opportunity for exchange or disposal, it lies with the users. Clearly the users don’t give a fig, it’s therefore up to the public to report any needles that they spot.

Want to propose any other solutions?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News

Wrexham University announce Professor Joe Yates as new Vice-Chancellor