Wrexham County Councillors Renumeration

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham County Councillors Renumeration

• Author

wxm
    Participant

https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/financial/statement_of_accs_1011.pdf

The financial statements make some interesting reading. While we properly look at councillors remuneration, what is happening against the whole human resource cost? The accounts mention a payment to the Clwyd Pension Fund for £17.8m. While obligations may have been made decades ago, the financial black hole that appeared in society in 2008 means we all have to bear the consequences. Wouldn’t that £17.8m be better spent in the Wrexham community?

jimbow
    Participant

@Gordon 1020 wrote:

A big jump between £19,000 and £33,000, just can’t see how Mark Pritchard can justify that in the current economic climate especially as most public service workers have their pay frozen. I can’t even see MP’s accepting pay rises like this

What qualifications are needed for this job at £33,000?
    I believe if it is your calling to become a councillor and serve your community,you should do it for free.If you are in a full time job, income from that should suffice,why squeeze the community for more?If you have retired,the same applies.The rest of the OAP community have to live on pensions why not councillors.Imagine a retired Council official retiring on a high pension and then becoming a councillor on a remuneration of that of a Lead Member it beggars belief.

wxm
    Participant

We need to start a new party “Democratic unpaid Councillor for Care and Prosperity”. There should be enough people to stand who only want to meet once a week (most would give up Saturday or Sunday). That would also mean officers could get on with their jobs, rather than spending time with 50 councillors, should make Saturday meetings swift as well.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

great idea in principle but…

the problem with councillors not being paid is more chance of corruption.

There are enough eyebrow raising incidents already…

brymbo development
    the wrexham village development
    the proliferation of big 5 supermarkets in wards were councillors formally known as lib dem were based.

unless there is an independant anti corruption body that is transparent non waged councillors is a recipe for failure.

I also feel no real scrutiny for the council staff will lead to autocratic empire.building.

My feeling is the current system is at fault… the councillors should only arbitrate what the electorate should decide/vote on, as well as scrutinise how the council body is functioning. .If x factor, big brother, i’m a celeb, bgt and stricly can get instant decisions from voters why can’t wrexham council?

Conde
    Participant

Hi Wayne,
    Can you explain your 3rd incident again please? is that 5 wards that are currently represented by Liberal Democrats, or before May 2012 were represented by Liberal Democrats?

Knowing the wards that are represented by the Liberal Democrats, I do not believe that to be the case.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Conde;4176 wrote:
    Hi Wayne,
    Can you explain your 3rd incident again please? is that 5 wards that are currently represented by Liberal Democrats, or before May 2012 were represented by Liberal Democrats?

Knowing the wards that are represented by the Liberal Democrats, I do not believe that to be the case.

i mean the big 5 supermarkets; tescos; morrisons, asda, sainsburys, etc.

Every big supermarket during the last administration got planning in a ward were the councillor incumbermant was voted in at the election on a lib dem ticket.

Conde
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 4181 wrote:

i mean the big 5 supermarkets; tescos; morrisons, asda, sainsburys, etc.

Every big supermarket during the last administration got planning in a ward were the councillor incumbermant was voted in at the election on a lib dem ticket.

Actually, in the 8 years that the Lib Dems held control of the council, only 1 supermarket was given permission and built and that was Morrisons, and just to be clear… before it was Morrisons it was a council depot.

Going back a little futher than that, Sainsburys was actually opposed by councillors from the party ( Yes I’m a Lib Dem, but I think in the case of fairness… we need the understand the backstory.)

Having done a lot of research on subjects like this, I can quite catagorically state the reason that there are as many supermarkets as their are, is because the Local Plan was based on a shopping needs assessment which wasn’t of course, conducted by the councillors (irregardless of party).

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Conde;4183 wrote:
    Actually, in the 8 years that the Lib Dems held control of the council, only 1 supermarket was given permission and built and that was Morrisons, and just to be clear… before it was Morrisons it was a council depot.

Going back a little futher than that, Sainsburys was actually opposed by councillors from the party ( Yes I’m a Lib Dem, but I think in the case of fairness… we need the understand the backstory.)

Having done a lot of research on subjects like this, I can quite catagorically state the reason that there are as many supermarkets as their are, is because the Local Plan was based on a shopping needs assessment which wasn’t of course, conducted by the councillors (irregardless of party).

tescos cefn mawr.

Conde
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 4185 wrote:

tescos cefn mawr.

Is not in a Lib Dem held ward. But looking at the date of the planning app, you are right to say it was approved in the Lib Dem’s time in the council.

One thing I must stress, is that the planning comittee has members from all the political parties though.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News