Wrexham County Councillors Renumeration

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham County Councillors Renumeration

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

We live in a very odd society where Councillors are forced to take an increase in pay or the Wrexham Council face legal action! Faced with this dilemma the Labour Party Councillors have decided to donate the extra money to charity.I hope they keep us informed about where the money goes and I am sure they will be supporting local charities.

Arfon Jones
    Participant

This situation is as clear as mud, Lead Members allowance goes up from £19,500 to £28,000 and that applies to 7 of the 10 Members of the Executive Board, it does not apply to Cllr D. A. Bithell who is not a Lead Member. The Labour group said they would donate their increases to local charities, Neil Rogers did not make it clear whether it is just the Members salary would go to charity or the £9,000 x 4 which the 4 Labour Lead Members will get. Cllr Mark Pritchard seemed to support the Independent Remuneration panel’s recommendation which seemed to suggest he intends to accept his increase from £19,500 to £33,000 as Deputy Leader. The other two Leade Members, Cllr Bob Dutton and Cllr Hugh Jones did not indicate one way or another whether they intend to accept their £9,000 increase. None of the Chairs of Committees which draw a senior salary indicated whether they intended to accept an increase of £2,000 each. Without making an FOI request after a couple of months no one will know what salary Councillors took until the end of the year when figures will be published.

This will be a bitter pill indeed for public sector workers in Wrecsam to swallow; when their own salaries have been frozen.

Arfon Jones
    Participant

To clarify Wrexview claims we are forced to accept, that is not the case at all, we can decline this increase or we can accept it and donate it to a charity which is what I intend to do with my net increase.

wrexview
    Participant

So could each individual Councillor refuse the increase outright?

Arfon Jones
    Participant

Yes they could, then it would go back to the council’s coffers. Most Councillors who are on the basic salary are looking at an increase of approx £400 a year or £24 a month net (I think, this will need clarification). I’d sooner see that £24 a month go to a local charity, it will make more difference there than in a budget of £210 million.

Gordon
    Participant

A big jump between £19,000 and £33,000, just can’t see how Mark Pritchard can justify that in the current economic climate especially as most public service workers have their pay frozen. I can’t even see MP’s accepting pay rises like this

wrexview
    Participant

The total sum, made up from all the Councillors over the five year term of the Council is not insignificant. It could prove very useful when setting the budget next year and be used to prevent some cuts. It would also be more valuable if retained ” in the Council coffers” as no tax would have been deducted from it.

wrexview
    Participant

Have all Wrexham County Borough Councillors accepted their increased renumeration? Have any individuals or party donated money to charity so far?

wxm
    Participant

Councillors like any other walk of life can decline to be paid. What value is added to our lives, our care, and the economy?

Why don’t they meet once a week and get their civic duties done, and then earn their money in work the rest of the week as we all do. We all do voluntary work one way or another.

Rob
    Participant

@wrexview 2743 wrote:

Have all Wrexham County Borough Councillors accepted their increased renumeration? Have any individuals or party donated money to charity so far?

I cant recall anyone saying or making PR from a donation of the increase as of yet.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News