Wrexham Council Declares War On Residents 3 Week Bin Collections

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Council Declares War On Residents 3 Week Bin Collections

• Author

spudulike
    Participant

Well I’ve filled in the consultation but no matter what the public want WCBC always do the exact opposite. I told them in the survey if they go to three weekly collections then anything I can burn will be going into my garden incinerator so I can put other rubbish in the black bin. Not the best for the environment, but with a large family and animals my bin is often full to the brim before collection day, and I do recycle and also actually stand in the bin to compact it. Thee will be more rats knocking about spreading disease, people dumping bags next to council bins, disaster waiting to happen all to save a few quid. IDIOTS !!!

zinger
    Participant

Whilst I not happy about three weekly collections I’m not quite sure why there would be more rats as food waste would still be collected weekly as with papers & bottles, cans, tins & plastics.

I see families with bins overflowing now. A neighbour has 4 green recycling boxes with only 2 children so I don’t know how they will cope.

I think that we need to ask more questions as to how council houses can be left empty for as long as they are. The rent lost would go a big way to lessening council shortfalls. Totally gutting houses & renewing bathrooms & kitchens each time a tenant moves out is a big waste of money apart from rent lost.

I also think that more services should be in-house rather than employing contractors for plumbing, electrical work & joinery.

So much money is wasted which would more than cover the costs of emptying bins. Just my opinion of course.

Councillor X
    Participant

On the upside …

A move to monthly bin collections has led to more recycled waste and less going to landfill, the first council in England and Wales to do so has claimed.

Conwy council controversially rolled out monthly black bag collections in September after it was piloted in 2016 .

The council recycled 11% more and sent 12% less waste to landfill in the final three months of 2018 than the same period of 2017, figures show.

Matt
    Participant

X you missed out the details of where all the additional rubbish goes from the article:

But resident Aloma Wheway said fly-tipping had increased since the change.

“We haven’t got much of a choice but you see more waste – black bags full of things – dumped all over the place,” she said.

“Some people find it okay but families are really struggling because they have more waste.”

The mother-of-two, who said she embraces recycling, claimed many residents were burning their own waste to avoid the smell.

The council pointed to figures showing general waste accounted for 25% of the illegally dumped waste in November 2018 – up from 22% in 2017.

So it means Conwy council failed to get 12% of its waste into landfill and means it was left strewn all over the county instead or left polluting the air.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47490317

Councillor X
    Participant

Matt you are such a killjoy!

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=177094]Matt you are such a killjoy![/quote]

Well if you derive your kicks from sexy Council stats I apologise for intervening. Meanwhile I’m off to research US style “trash” compactors to flog on the Monday market for those too lazy to jump up and down in their bins.

Perhaps someone could also go round offering a jumping up and down in the bin service to those too elderly or disabled to do so themselves.

wrexview
    Participant

“It comes following a warning that sticking with the current fortnightly service for black bins could cost Wrexham Council more than £800,000.”

Is this the total cost of collecting the bins? Previously we were told the SAVING by changing to three weekly collections was £47,000. Councillors have the opportunity to clarify if this figure is correct during their discussions. Meeting the recycling target of 70% will not be met if the Council go to three week collections and charge for green bin collections. Just because other Councils have done it doesn’t make it the right way for Wrexham to go. Wrexham already has a good record of recycling, is this the best way to encourage people to do more ?

MargaretA
    Participant

[quote quote=179598]“It comes following a warning that sticking with the current fortnightly service for black bins could cost Wrexham Council more than £800,000.”

Is this the total cost of collecting the bins? Previously we were told the SAVING by changing to three weekly collections was £47,000. Councillors have the opportunity to clarify if this figure is correct during their discussions.

If the reason for doing this is to increase recycling, the Council should look seriously at education about recycling. Step up the visits to schools, if necessary employ another education person.
    Send out frequent posts on Facebook. People need constant reminding, so that it becomes second nature to recycle. The Reduce, Reuse, Recycle slogan says it all, but we don’t hear it very often.

wrexview
    Participant

Wrexham Councillors have listened to our concerns and have decided against introducing three weekly collections. The Council still have a recycling target to meet , set by the Assembly, so the public need to do their bit to help them achieve it.

thetown
    Participant

You say Wrexham councillors have listened to our concerns,the truth is the talk of collecting our rubbish every three weeks was a smoke screen,days later it was released that our council tax was going up by 7% most people never moaned because they were happy about the bins still getting collected every other week.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News