Wrexham Council Declares War On Residents 3 Week Bin Collections

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Council Declares War On Residents 3 Week Bin Collections

• Author

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=175154]Changing to three weekly bin collections will save the council £47,000. Opening up the Guildhall Councillor’s Car park to the public seven days a week would create income to match that. Not to mention the £22,000 spent on the unnecessary resurfacing of that car park![/quote]

£47,000 a year is that it? Surely with thousands of households paying in council tax – that could be factored as an increase in the council tax. Spread out across the whole county that’s just a few quid each surely. Would rather swallow a small collective cost than have smelly bins and rats everywhere.

wrexview
    Participant

Flintshire Leader reporting fly tipping affecting Flintshire school, not surprising when you only have 40% paying for a green bin to be emptied. Wonder what level fly tipping in Wrexham would reach with three weekly bin collections?

Councillor X
    Participant

Call me an old fart but I can remember when we had bins and the bin men used to take our bin bags once a week. That seemed to work ok.

Me and Mrs councillor X manage to fill our black bin in two weeks and it’s only me and her. Three week collections would be a bad move.

AMA Express
    Participant

Have you tried getting Mrs Councillor X to stand in the bin and jump up and down ?

Or are those bruises just the norm ?

TimRegency
    Participant

I suppose there’s no harm in mentioning that they will take those wide plastic food trays with the plastic bottles now. Frees up a bit of bin space, but not likely a week’s worth.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=175385]Have you tried getting Mrs Councillor X to stand in the bin and jump up and down ?

Or are those bruises just the norm ?[/quote]

We tried her standing in the bin but the bin men refused to take her!

Matt
    Participant

Whacked in my response to the consultation today bang on deadline day.

Raised issues over the reduction in bin collections and the absurd suggestion that they are going to further reduce standards of highway maintenance.

Will be interesting to see how many people have bothered to complain about the bins vs the number of people who will get a rude awakening when it gets implemented after not bothering to speak up.

TimRegency
    Participant

The trouble with consultations is that, often, they simply harvest the replies that agree with their plans and discard anything that doesn’t and then at the end of the day proclaim ‘we asked people, this is what they said.’

When done properly and not against the backdrop of austerity, consultations are a good idea, but not when they are processed in a cynical way, such as above.

TimRegency
    Participant

‘Ignore’ rather than ‘discard,’ I don’t think they go quite that far just yet.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=176966]‘Ignore’ rather than ‘discard,’ I don’t think they go quite that far just yet.[/quote]

I Will be interested to know – how with the reduction of black/blue bin collection from fortnightly to once every 3 weeks – they will be able to ignore the mounting rubbish that people are just expected to suddenly reduce in their general waste.

Annual Black/Blue bin lifts will reduce from 26 down to 17 – which means 9 full black bins worth of rubbish either has to suddenly be reduced from households or disposed of elsewhere at cost to the household itself.

For some delusional reason the Executive Board Councillors are under the firm belief that people are under-recycling and putting recycling into black bins and that they’ll just start recycling and the additional waste will go away just like that. The fact of the matter is, when you go round areas on bin collection day it is obvious that people are religiously recycling with full tubs of plastic/cans and glass waste. Also noticing a lot more kerbside caddies for food waste out these days.

So people have been recycling for years and even with all the recycling done religiously – large families struggle with the amount of waste even before a fortnight is up. Some savvy people will be able to get their waste downb but it’s not as easy as that with the ridiculous amount of non recyclable packaging that comes from the supermarket etc… Those with vehicles will just go to the skip more and make it their burden to sort general waste and that will knock down the county’s precious recycling rate at these locations significantly. Then those who are better off will pay a private firm to do an additional lift at £15 a time.

This leaves the less well off who don’t have a car and can’t afford to pay a private firm to get rid of excess waste – they will have 3 choices if they are unable to reduce waste:

1) Burn rubbish – I see incinerator bins are popular in supermarkets this time of year – this will just pollute the county further and create bad odours, which ironically reducing bin collections was meant to reduce emissions and air pollution.

2) Fly tip and overload public bins – both illegal, but let’s face it – people will do it and they’ll get away with it.

3) Let Rubbish build up in the back garden – attracting vermin.

It’s not going to be a good look for the town and they’ll forever make the excuse that Conwy has monthly collections only so aren’t the worst. Shambolic.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News