Wrexham Council Declares War On Residents 3 Week Bin Collections

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Council Declares War On Residents 3 Week Bin Collections

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Apparently the threat is real this time.

Everyone fill out this consultation – share it your friends/family/online – all and sundry.

http://www.yourvoicewrexham.net/KMS/DMart.aspx

We in Wrexham cannot and will not accept or tolerate 3 week bin collections – the bins are already overflowing and stinking with rubbish on 2 week collections for larger families – even with all the recycling being done religiously. The fly tipping issue has not been remedied. They haven’t even replaced Kingdom yet to deal with litter offenders. People are still leaving dog shit everywhere. Playgrounds and playing fields regularly have broken bottles and used syringes discarded on them.

I know you council Exec Big Wigs read these posts – be prepared for a hell of a fight on this one. We will not be shafted on this one like they’ve done in Conwy.

MargaretA
    Participant

[quote quote=175081]Apparently the threat is real this time.

Everyone fill out this consultation – share it your friends/family/online – all and sundry.

http://www.yourvoicewrexham.net/KMS/DMart.aspx

We in Wrexham cannot and will not accept or tolerate 3 week bin collections – the bins are already overflowing and stinking with rubbish on 2 week collections for larger families – even with all the recycling being done religiously. The fly tipping issue has not been remedied. They haven’t even replaced Kingdom yet to deal with litter offenders. People are still leaving dog shit everywhere. Playgrounds and playing fields regularly have broken bottles and used syringes discarded on them.

I know you council Exec Big Wigs read these posts – be prepared for a hell of a fight on this one. We will not be shafted on this one like they’ve done in Conwy.[/quote]

I have completed the survey, but was bemused by Question 13. The preamble is about Country Parks, but the question is about allotment fees. Did I miss something?

Matt
    Participant

Fired off my initial warning shots to Clr Bithell as he was praising the litter collection in Penycae on Facebook. Will be interested to see if he responds.

David A Bithell yes John etc… work tirelessly to keep our village clean and tidy from litter. I just believe the area is at risk at being a whole lot worse and your area of Johnstown if the black bin delivery collections are changed to 3 weekly. I can take a picture of my black bin right now & show you how full it is leading up to the 2-weekly collection with everything pressed down as much as it can. Plus with a full compliment of sorted recycling into plastic & cans, food caddy, glass bottles, garden waste & card & paper. We are a family of 4 with 2 young girls & I have spoken to several other households in the local area with families & all of them are highly concerned about what is going to happen if bin collection gets reduced. Not everyone has cars to do skip runs & it will be the case that some people will end up fly tipping, putting pressure on the public bins or having rubbish piling up in the back garden. The summer months already mean maggots and flies build up in bins because of the fortnightly collection & then mice & rats gets attracted. I can’t even begin to imagine what will happen if things are left another week. I’m posting this on here as you are the Exec Lead for Environmental services David and also I want to bring the issue to your attention John C Phillips because as our councillor a number of us are highly concerned with the proposals and the effect it will have on the village. We are in workings to set-up a Wrexham wide campaign against these changes that will turn Wrexham streets into those similar to a 3rd world country. It is completely unacceptable with the ever increasing council tax rates that services are being cut to the bone in respect that a basic level of sanitation cannot be upheld and would be of great detriment to public health, in particular to children, the elderly and vulnerable. We will not be fobbed off by threat to climate nonsense excuse – as a real threat to local wildlife exists as litter ends up overflowing onto the streets and as we see in Penycae even into green areas and the river. It is also unacceptable to cite austerity and cuts because quite frankly we’re paying in for the running of this town & the wages of those who govern & operate the council. We should get a say about whether or not we end up in slumlike conditions. It’s about time the Exec board pulled its bloody socks up & did something decent & dignified for the town for once. People will pay the annual council tax increases, they’ll deal with cuts across the county & make do. But what we can’t make do with is this town turning into an absolute sh*thole.

Also, a new group of activists has set-up in Wrexham to deal with this issue and other issues of concern around the county, such as the deteriorating state of the roads. So feel free to join.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/686585901839017?ref=share

TimRegency
    Participant

Isn’t this down to George Osborne’s cuts? Something like a 56% central government cut to local councils?

The Tories seem to be doing a great job of distancing themselves from this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

great idea. get more households to compost and recycle.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=175099]great idea. get more households to compost and recycle.[/quote]

It would be great if everyone did compost and recycle. But not all households live in a house or give two hoots about the state of the bins. I live in flats that have communal bins. The bins closest to the entrance to the bin area are literally overflowing & bags of rubbish are also dumped on the ground by the bins, torn open by cats – yet the bins a couple of steps further back can be completely empty. All manner of sh*t is dumped in the recycling bins & all sorts of recycling is dumped in the general waste. Residents don’t care because their flats are not next to the bins and those households responsible cannot be identified because the bins are communal. The household next to the bins ends up with the smell and the flies from all those bins (for 9 flats in the block I live in). In my previous flat I was the unfortunate sod who lived nearest the bins. When I moved here I was adamant I would not take a ground floor flat or one near the bins.

In my block, three-weekly collections is going to be awful for the flat next to the bins. The council and/or landlord (in our case, Wales & West Housing Association) could at least improve matters if they had the will, e.g. if they gave each flat a designated lockable bin. Then they could take appropriate action against those households who still let their own bins overflow & don’t recycle. But the council, landlord and Assembly Member won’t do anything – they’ve been fully aware of the issue for several years now.

Households with their own bins at least have some control over the state of their bins & the council can perhaps claim that these households can improve matters by compacting rubbish, composting & recycling. But I don’t have any such control with our communal bins. It doesn’t matter how responsible I am when most of my fellow residents don’t give a sh*t about the state of the bin area.

Fortunately, it honestly makes no difference to me now if our communal bin area gets worse as I live on the opposite side of the building. As is the case for all but one of the flats in this block, I’m alright Jack! But I understand the injustice of it when the council, landlord and AM will not remedy the situation and are content for the consequences to be borne by a single household (in our case, one with small children).

I doubt that the consequences for properties with communal bins will even feature in the council’s plans for this change.

dewi73
    Participant

[quote quote=175095]Isn’t this down to George Osborne’s cuts? Something like a 56% central government cut to local councils?

The Tories seem to be doing a great job of distancing themselves from this.[/quote]

I believe Welsh Labour refused to pass on the money they received from the UK Government to freeze Council tax

wrexview
    Participant

Changing to three weekly bin collections will save the council £47,000. Opening up the Guildhall Councillor’s Car park to the public seven days a week would create income to match that. Not to mention the £22,000 spent on the unnecessary resurfacing of that car park!

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Probably would be best if we moved to monthly black bin collections and those wanting fortnightly bin collection pay an additional fee like those with green bins.

As for flats within communal bins, an additional charge should be made to the management companies that own the freehold. Likewise all HMOs should pay an additional fee.

We are all creating too much waste and it reflects our generally unhealthy lifestyles in the western world and in Wales in particular.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Wrexham’s ever increasing number of fast food outlets need to pay more for the huge amount of waste they create as well.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News