Wrexham Council Chief Pay Rise

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Council Chief Pay Rise

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Councillors tell us times are tough, cuts are needed to balance the books. Belt tightening all round and then they vote to increase the Chief Executive’s pay. What prompted the Councillors to see this as a priority now? Where are they taking the money from?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

I have no problem with anyone getting a raise, because people should be rewarded for success. That’s why i don’t understand why it had to be a secret session, if the chief exec is doing a good job, the council should be shouting about it, not hiding it.

What is very worrying is that the council leader has been shown up to be a deceiving so & so…

locallad
    Participant

I was under the Impression that there was a ban imposed by The Goverment on ALL public sector workers having a pay rise.Obviously not in wrexham council.If she had any man management skills she would Refuse this Offer,after all some staff at Wrexham Council lost that off their salaries.As for Mr Rogers not wanting this to be made Public.Just remember this when there are local elections.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@locallad 2908 wrote:

I was under the Impression that there was a ban imposed by The Goverment on ALL public sector workers having a pay rise.Obviously not in wrexham council.If she had any man management skills she would Refuse this Offer,after all some staff at Wrexham Council lost that off their salaries.As for Mr Rogers not wanting this to be made Public.Just remember this when there are local elections.

People don’t care, they will vote labour in that ward whther it’s a donkey, neil rogers or a liar.

Very much believe that no councillor should be allowed more than three terms in their life. Power corrupts even those with the best original intentions.

wrexview
    Participant

Apparently it is not a pay rise, they have extended the applicable pay scale. The result is the same though each extra increment paid increases your pay. This means the Council will be paying out more money.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@wrexview 2916 wrote:

Apparently it is not a pay rise, they have extended the applicable pay scale. The result is the same though each extra increment paid increases your pay. This means the Council will be paying out more money.

It’s still deception in my book. If the Chief exec is earning more than they did last year it’s a pay rise.

This is one of the problems in some parts (not all parts) of the public pay system, you can go up an increment on the pay scale every year, but the responsibilities of the job have not changed allbeit their experience is greater.

That can result in inefficiencies in the system and even worse for the individual as their salary means one day they become unemployable when their department has staff cutbacks during the fiscal/political cycle.

If the chief exec has more responsibility they should be shouting about it!!! That’s a good thing!!

NJones
    Participant

So despite the councils pay review a few years ago the senior staff are still getting more, while the lower pay scale staff are having to do more for the same wage.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@NJones 2922 wrote:

So despite the councils pay review a few years ago the senior staff are still getting more, while the lower pay scale staff are having to do more for the same wage.

Anyone who has more responsibility and has improved the performance of their department should be rewarded.

Anyone who has made a pig ear of their department should be removed. Sadly the voters reward councillors for failure and deception.

I remember the last time he was in charge the current council leader banging on about how good wrexham was for shopping because there was so much floor space available especially with the forthcoming Eagles Meadow at the time. He failed as now there is more empty shop floor space than ever before in wrexham and much more than Eagles Meadow holds.

And his predeessor was no better. Never trust a policitian that has studied law!

DavidB
    Participant

It would be interesting to get a definitive actual value of the Chief Execs pay from the Authority.
    A figure of £105,000 was mentioned in a previous article.
    Also the pay scale seems to have been “stretched” from a max of £117,500 to £125,000.
    If my maths is correct, this looks like an increase of 6.38%.
    Not bad in this climate of austerity !!

Iceman
    Participant

Disgraceful. How can the council freeze the pay of everybody except one person. Is she accepts it, i dont know how she will look her colleagues in the eye. The bigwigs get free parking right outside as well while the rest of them have to walk and / or pay. Shameless use of public money and completely unfair and eliteist. I am sure she has worked hard and is very good, but that also goes for many of the other council workers whose pay has been frozen for years. What is going on. The council authorise the destruction of historic buildings and spend millions on Eagles meadow, while many shops stand empty and the face of our town is changed forever. Then they come up with this. Ridiculous.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News