Wrexham Council

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Council

• Author

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=137721]
    I don’t know about all specific cases but I know of similar cases where addicts have continually stolen money and possessions from their families and eventually been cut loose as the families were at the ends of their tether. I can’t imagine that this situation is that unusual.

[/quote]

Unfortunately the only solution families in this situation are aware to help resolve such issues is to go on Jeremy Kyle & get shouted in their faces about which one of them is the tea-leaf that has stolen granny’s pearls. Issue becomes trivialised for 5 minutes of entertainment.

DerekJackson
    Participant

Do families cast off their family member or does the family member cast off the family – there are two ways of looking at this and no matter how much a family may try to help their tolerance levels either break or are breaking point — when it gets to this stage often the pressure causes internal family conflict and other peoples relationships can collapse, this particularly the case when the a child can be from a previous relationship and is not a blood relative to both in a couple relationship.

Often when someone has cast off their family the new family to fill the void are the other people on the street in similar circumstances.

The impact on an entire family should not be underestimated when someone turns to substances — it is therefore unfortunate there is virtually no support for other family members even though with the right support they could be part of the solution to help someone out of the world of substance misuse.

Angiebaby
    Participant

Derek Jackson – you have hit the nail very squarely on the head.
    Our services are ineffective and short sighted. There should be an evidence based review of the whole structure

bubble
    Participant

Wow, Angie, it turns out you DO have an opinion on why addicts’ families are not helping them.

Addicts are known to be deceitful and manipulative in their quest to feed their addiction (though I’m sure when you sit amongst them they speak only the truth). Addicts ruin lives – those of their families, and of their neighbours and their own. Not just a little bit, but devastatingly. Yet your sympathy seems focused on only the visible ‘victims’. Presumably it pricks at your conscience seeing these people out in the open – but you are not so bothered at the plight of the hidden victims, who are not to blame for the situations they find themselves in.

Your letter to Hugh Jones does not at any point mention drugs or addiction. You use the more sympathetic term ‘homeless’ – and I don’t believe for one minute that is by chance. Their homelessness is a symptom of their addiction. Personally I think you would get more support if you were open and honest about what the problem is for these people – your decision to characterise them as homeless without once acknowledging their addictions weakens anything else you say – if you spin the truth on this how can we believe you on anything else? By failing to acknowledge their addictions you have handed the council a gift – why would your comments on the ‘homeless’ be taken seriously when you cannot even acknowledge a major feature of the problem in Wrexham – the council could choose to take the view that you don’t understand what the problem is, or alternatively that you’re trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes.

You came on this forum with your take on the ‘homeless’ problem in Wrexham. You cherry-picked the information you drew attention to. You had to be asked – and then asked again – whether you would be happy for them to live next door to you, where you would have them live, and why their families weren’t helping them. And when people do not share your views you have implied (or even sometimes claimed outright) that they are uninformed and heartless. So much for not judging.

I don’t think you have the slightest idea of how devastating addicts’ behaviour is to their neighbours. It is relentless – not just now and again. I certainly don’t think you give a second thought to how insulting and hurtful it is to people like me, to hear do-gooders appealing for sympathy and understanding for these people.

Have you contacted service providers and offered volunteers to supervise their buildings during the daytime so that addicts have somewhere to go? If the council takes them off the streets and places them in social housing, would that be sufficient for you? You don’t want them living next door to you – and whilst I don’t suppose you’d specifically want them to be given a regular tenancy right now, I expect that if they were, you would rather see the life of someone like me ruined by their behaviour than see them homeless. Would you set up a help group for us?

I work with homeless drug addicts. Not because I like them or even because I want to help them – but because I was sick of hearing the sanitised version of events from people like you. So now I get to see for myself what goes on. It’s been a real eye-opener.

Angiebaby
    Participant

Bubble – you sound like a very bitter person.
    You know nothing of the degree of insight I have into addiction, you’re not interested either!
    Your posts are all very personal, and attack me, rather than debate the subject. I wonder why this is?
    Two possibilities spring to mind immediately, there are others.
    I’ll keep my counsel for the time being – as I’ve said, I don’t like to judge.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=137763]Bubble – you sound like a very bitter person.
    Your posts are all very personal, and attack me, rather than debate the subject. I wonder why this is?
    Two possibilities spring to mind immediately, there are others.
    [/quote]

Oh no, do tell. What are these possibilities?

99DylanJones
    Participant

Angie as you have the insight into the Groves could you put all our minds at rest and let us know have the campers (note I am not calling them homeless as they all did not fit into this category) now gone back to the accommodation that many of them already have or have they moved to an encampment further outside of the town.

I wonder if they have moved to another location whether the Council will move the toilets and skips to a new site?

Angiebaby
    Participant

The individuals from the Groves have moved on to other encampments – I’m not going to disclose the whereabouts, as I think the undue attention was particularly aversive to people who really do just want to be left alone.
    They felt very vulnerable on the Groves as it came under increasing scrutiny.
    One thing I can confirm is that none save 2 have been offered suitable accommodation by the services or the council.
    The situation has not improved at all – the problem has just been moved

99DylanJones
    Participant

Angie bit confused with your response
    It has been implied by the Council previously that a number from the Groves actually had tenancy so presume some have gone back to their own place and may have also have taken some others in… shared costs
    You have also failed to confirm that two from the Groves have actually been supported by a variety of the service providers by getting two into rehab and detox this week. Should there not be some prise for the service providers that have achieved this.
    I respect and can understand why you wont reveal where some of them may have decamped to – unfortunately one of these will no doubt be highlighted tomorrow when people travel into Wrexham on a double decker bus. I am aware of one new site on a key feeder road that has been created over the past couple of days which is not visible from the roadside due to the height of the hedge but is very visible from above.

zinger
    Participant

The people representing the homeless population seem to have gone very quiet recently. Is this because they have moved back into their accommodation or left town for pastures new?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News