Wrexham Council

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Council

• Author

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=136690]The site currently looks like an advert for the Go Outdoor camping shop with a choice of tens from 2 man to family.
    There has now been extra fencing put up which restricts access to the rear of the Groves from the Chester Road site.
    Not sure that winter will be a deterrent as many of the ‘campers’ will have slept in far worse conditions than they are in at the moment.
    Perhaps the installation of lighting and patio heaters will improve the overall comfort or perhaps there could be a complete move to the Council owned Crown Buildings that have at least two floors currently not in use and very limited number of local residents.

[/quote]

If they can afford to run patio heaters for them all winter they may as well send them all off for a jolly in Spain to keep them warm.

Councillor X
    Participant

Elaine Guntrip-Thomas, chairwoman of Wrexham’s Save Our Heritage group, said the group “knew the worth of the building all along”.
    She added: “We believe that we have been vindicated in our decision to campaign to save this important building.
    “The next step will be to ensure the building is used to educate future generations.”

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=136705]Elaine Guntrip-Thomas, chairwoman of Wrexham’s Save Our Heritage group, said the group “knew the worth of the building all along”.
    She added: “We believe that we have been vindicated in our decision to campaign to save this important building.
    “The next step will be to ensure the building is used to educate future generations.”

[/quote]

That juxtaposition of those 2 images implicates the council for failing to take the next steps, not the Save Our Heritage group. Those 2 images just show how piss poor Councillors are at taking serious both the issues of homelessness in Wrexham and the need to secure additional educational facilities for our children.

If someone can honestly tell me that the Council don’t have the power to relocate these people to a more secure and suitable (even temporary) location and then start works on returning the Groves to a place of education then the town is in even worse hands than I thought.

Dick
    Participant

With all those empty buildings why not turn them into dormitory’s and get the homeless inside out of the bad weather

wxmlad
    Participant

How long will this situation last? I seems to me like they are there for ever.
    Our councilors need to grow a set of balls & hoof them off

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=136715]How long will this situation last? I seems to me like they are there for ever.

[/quote]

Another tent today, where are they coming from (the tents) they look new, mountain warehouse ??

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=136720]

How long will this situation last? I seems to me like they are there for ever.

Another tent today, where are they coming from (the tents) they look new, mountain warehouse ??

[/quote]

Donations from the very generous Wrexham public. Need to keep the donations coming though as others are looking to move into the area – other Councils aren’t willing to provide such a facility.

bubble
    Participant

A few years ago I would have felt much sympathy for Wrexham’s homeless. But since living very near to 3 properties inhabited by drug addicts, I find it hard to sympathise with them. It took months to get one evicted and I ended up off work sick and moving to get away from the others (one of whom was not evicted for another 18 months – and another was still there and still a problem). And this was despite there being residents from 13 nearby properties all reporting what these druggies were doing.

From a purely selfish perspective, I’m quite happy for the camp to remain at the Groves – simply because it is nowhere near me.

I’d also be quite happy with a drug ghetto – as long as I didn’t have to live near to it, of course. The drug charities could all be located there too, in close proximity to their service users, and the ghetto’s centrepiece could be a magnificent gleaming ‘fix room’.

As for likening Wrexham’s ‘homeless’ people with those from Grenfell Tower; I think that’s appalling. Grenfell survivors lost their homes, all of their possessions – and in many cases their loved ones – in a truly horrendous and terrifying event that was no fault of their own.

Wrexham’s homeless are generally drug addicts, who in many cases lost their homes not because of their addictions per se, but because of their anti-social behaviour and the adverse effects this had on neighbouring homes and families. Many of them already had the kind of accommodation that we are encouraged to believe would help them turn their lives around – and didn’t even have to pay for it because they were entitled to housing benefit. They want us to treat them well while they continue to treat the rest of us like shit. Until you have lived next to it for an extended period of time and seen all the help they are offered whilst they have not the slightest consideration for anyone else, you could not appreciate how awful it is.

I don’t understand why the churches aren’t opening their doors for them to sleep in at night – it wouldn’t cost churches any extra, it’s unused space at night, Christian charity and so on. It’s as if even the churches sense that these aren’t the kind of people you want to have come and stay over …

It’s probably high time we had another petition from Phil Wynn.

MP1953
    Participant

Pretty much spot on Bubble, as you say most of these people have had help and (free housing benefit etc.) support before, but have dropped out, as for churches opening their doors sounds admirable but would you like to be the caretaker or warden cleaning up the mess each day, and the cost to churches to replace the damage they would inevitably do.

Solution ???????? Clear them off, heartless maybe but thats what the council does with travellers. ;)

zinger
    Participant

I agree 100% Bubble. Perhaps they could be moved in with the travellers on Ruthin Road but I suspect that they wouldn’t want to live next door to them either.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News

Wrexham University announce Professor Joe Yates as new Vice-Chancellor