Wrexham Council

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Council

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=136434]

Went to Queens square this morning it was unbelievably intimidating they were everywhere swearing, arguing with each other etc. something has to be done, the town is struggling without all this, it will be a no go area soon and setting up camps for them in the groves school is just going to encourage more to come.

I don’t think this problem will ever leave Wrexham now. Even if all of the current addicts in Wrexham recovered and got rehomed, more would take their place – simply because this is where the service providers are. Why would addicts go somewhere where there are no agencies to feed them and sympathise with them, when they could come here? And now they have a camp right across the road from The Wallich.

[/quote]

Well if you are correct (and you may well be) Wrexham as a town will be finished as people will not now set foot in the town when they are confronted with total unpleasantness, especially on a Saturday afternoon…
    I did note that there was a post about a viable solution, but that was deleted after a short time !!!! ;)

99DylanJones
    Participant

I think there still seems to be a myth on some of the threads about Wrexham attracting more homeless and addicts due to services being here. The current profile of those at the Groves and elsewhere is that about 85% have a local connection.

By local it will mean that many of them might have been in school with the readers of the threads or a relative- everyone one of them will have a back history.

A number will have been in and out of care for a long period when they were children- remember they could have been in Foster Care 20 – 30 years ago at a time when no one listened to them if there was anything wrong and we read of many stories from that era when lots of abuses physical and mental took place and turned a blind eye.

The back story for some of those at the encampment and around town is quite horrific and shows over the years a total failing in Social Care, Education and rehabilitation services.
    With people who have often turned to drink and drugs often used to try and mask the reality of their lives the steps to support them out of the ‘dark place’ they reside in at the moment will not be short term and certainly will involve many hours of therapy.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=136463]I think there still seems to be a myth on some of the threads about Wrexham attracting more homeless and addicts due to services being here. The current profile of those at the Groves and elsewhere is that about 85% have a local connection.

[/quote]

I’m not suggesting addicts move here in their droves from all over the country, but that addicts from relatively nearby towns and villages will congregate here because the services that either help them or make excuses for them (depending on your view) are in Wrexham. e.g. Nen mentioned people coming from Rhyl; I would also suggest places like Ruabon, Llangollen. Oswestry, etc. The services are largely concentrated around the Rhosddu and Grosvenor Road areas. I don’t think that people living in these areas will ever be free of this problem. I don’t live in the Rhosddu or Grosvenor Road areas, but I do visit them and it’s clear that the problem is worse there than in most other areas of Wrexham.

wrexview
    Participant

The site is getting bigger , another large tent has been erected that includes a window. Has the skip ever been emptied ?

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=136600]The site is getting bigger , another large tent has been erected that includes a window. Has the skip ever been emptied ?

[/quote]
    Ooh, wonder if that’s the Rhyl lot that we’re on about relocating there? Keep the donations coming Wrexham!

What gets me is, the Government found homes quickly for the people made homeless by the Grenfell Tower disaster but yet they can’t do the same for people like these that have been homeless much longer. It a disgrace.

zinger
    Participant

All well & good finding homes but not fair on tenants who have children, pay their rent, look after their properties to have drug addicts move next door to them. Would you be happy to have a zombie next door to you?

99DylanJones
    Participant

Zinger I agree with your concerns which is shy it is essential that appropriate support is in place and the location of housing is crucial to ensure that drug ghettos don’t get created.

Regarding your comment about drug addicts next door.. everyone needs to realise that there are 100’s of substance misuse users across the County Borough just that they are not as visible as those at the Groves but are in need of support as well.

Latest information in the British Medical Journal highlights the highest growth rate of substance issues are in the over 50’s age group – the so-called baby boomers.
    http://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j3885

The concentration on the environmental impact of the Groves is avoiding the far broader issue facing society- one in ten people you come into contact with in your daily life are potential abusing themselves with substances- addiction to prescription drugs, the odd glass of wine which soon becomes a bottle, all can lead to excess very quickly and addiction with someone not being able to reduce intake.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=136611]Zinger I agree with your concerns which is shy it is essential that appropriate support is in place and the location of housing is crucial to ensure that drug ghettos don’t get created.

Regarding your comment about drug addicts next door.. everyone needs to realise that there are 100’s of substance misuse users across the County Borough just that they are not as visible as those at the Groves but are in need of support as well.

Latest information in the British Medical Journal highlights the highest growth rate of substance issues are in the over 50’s age group – the so-called baby boomers.
    http://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j3885

The concentration on the environmental impact of the Groves is avoiding the far broader issue facing society- one in ten people you come into contact with in your daily life are potential abusing themselves with substances- addiction to prescription drugs, the odd glass of wine which soon becomes a bottle, all can lead to excess very quickly and addiction with someone not being able to reduce intake.

[/quote]

Dylan you are missing and dodging the point here, there may well be people on to many prescription drugs, drinking a bottle of wine etc etc, but they are not a problem to other people, the issue here is that if my wife and mother cannot walk through their own town without feeling safe in 2017 there is a huge problem, my mother who is well into her eighties by the way was surrounded by some of these druggies or whatever you want to call them when her mobility scooter broke down by the Yale college pestering her for drinks money and fags.

As I said before there was a solution put forward on this forum to solve this, but I dare not repeat it as it would not be politically correct and would be deleted in any case !

wrexview
    Participant

This encampment can only be a temporary measure, winter will soon be upon us, the Council must decide on a plan of action as to how they are going to deal with the situation that they have allowed to develop on the Groves. Every individual Councillor has a responsibility to engage with the wider community and associated agencies to see the successful relocation of these people. Discussions should be held in public via either the Executive Board or Full Council , ideally both. Extra and special meetings can always be arranged when circumstances dictate a need.

99DylanJones
    Participant

The site currently looks like an advert for the Go Outdoor camping shop with a choice of tens from 2 man to family.
    There has now been extra fencing put up which restricts access to the rear of the Groves from the Chester Road site.
    Not sure that winter will be a deterrent as many of the ‘campers’ will have slept in far worse conditions than they are in at the moment.
    Perhaps the installation of lighting and patio heaters will improve the overall comfort or perhaps there could be a complete move to the Council owned Crown Buildings that have at least two floors currently not in use and very limited number of local residents.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News