Wrexham.com Q&A – Put Your Questions to Town Centre Inspector

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham.com Q&A – Put Your Questions to Town Centre Inspector

• Author

D R
    Keymaster

Question through specifically for Inspector Wycherley –

Regarding the bus station have the police ever issued any security advice to improve the area to the council?

And After Operation Glare tram are you satisfied with the councils measures to keep the bus station drug and antisocial free?

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127821]This is the same question I have already asked twice before , how near are the police to catching the car arsonists and charging them ? Have any of the various appeals for information been helpful or are they more of a hindrance?

[/quote]

I am here with Inspector Wycherley and Councillor Hugh Jones… and starting the replies now. Any typos are me as I am taking dictation…!

IW:
    Car arsons we experience in the Caia Park area fall into three distinct categories, the first is stolen vehicles that are burnt out to destroy forensic evidence, the second is vehicles that are being used for criminal acts and are similarly burnt out to destroy forensic evidence, and the other one is peoples cars that are peoples cars that are for no reason whatsoever burnt for malicious damage.

The vast majority are from the first and second category. This is a notoriously difficult crime to solve as obviously the forensic evidence is being destroyed. However we have had arrests and charges but the problem persists at all be it a reduced level.

North Wales Fire and Rescue service work with us, CCTV cameras are now on every appliance and we have a range of preventative measures in place, including a film that was recently commissioned between the fire police and local authority about the harm this type of activity causes. Clearly the public want to know what is going on with this type of offences, but my nervousness is that almost every time we have publicised them in the past there has been an upsurge that we consider to be copycat attacks.

Information is the key to this, if anyone can help us please dial 101 and ask for me personally, or crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127822]The illegal drug Spice is causing problems on the streets of Wrexham , do the police know where the supply is coming from?

[/quote]

Inspector Wycherley (IW):
    It is a fact we need to improve our intelligence picture on the supply chain of Psychoactive Substances, so called ‘Legal Highs’

Hugh Jones (HJ):
    Parliament has determined that so called legal highs are not illegal to use.

IW:
    We have certain lines of enquiry. With controlled drugs, we have established lines of enquiry. However this is an emerging trend, with new lines of enquiry.

D R
    Keymaster

Question from our friends over at Deeside.com –

Noticed Wrexham getting tremendously damaging headlines across most national tabloids and TV how can it’s reputation be repaired?

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127827]Q) Do the Police have adequate resources to tackle the drug supply chain leading to Wrexham?
    [/quote]

IW: If we had unlimited resources we would solve all issues.
    Our resources are finite, and have to be used for a myriad of different tasks. I can see questions on here today already about drugs, so called legal highs, speeding, night time economy, car arsons. So if you think of those things, plus the day to day, of reassurance, school visits, patrols, there is never enough resources to do everything.

The Police and Crime Commissioner consults the community every year and formulates the policing plan which I and my colleagues and partners work towards delivering. In there are his priorities, which should be your the communities priorities, and it is vital you have input into that plan as it informs policing.

HJ: I am looking to ask the Police and Crime Commissioner to provide further resources to Wrexham.

[quote quote=127827]
    Q) Do you think that there are any agencies or project that are starting to make a difference for those abusing substances and can we learn anything from other parts of the country/world?
    [/quote]

HJ: As a result of Wrexham Council and working in partnership with north wales police bringing agencies together, we are making progress. I have said all along there is no silver bullet, this will take time. We are definitely making progress.

There are significant number of lessons in the Welsh Government in the Social Health and Care Committee report into substance misuse that need to be implemented. There are lessons to be learnt in their own report.

IW: We do monitor what is going on around the world and the UK. On the issue of the so called legal highs, their usage is more prevalent in cities , my safer neighbourhood sergeant is visiting Manchester on Friday to replicate success they have had there in combatting these issues.

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127848]There should be a reduction in what’s available on the streets soon as a lot of it’s going to be diverted to Berwyn Hilton HMP Berwyn.
    [/quote]

HJ: The regime and procedures in HMP Berwyn are finally honed and developed and are in advance of other areas of the prison estate.

IW: There is a specific offence of possessing new psychoactive substances in an institutional setting.

D R
    Keymaster

Question / statement in about PCSOs…

There may be a call in the Town Centre for PCSOs during daylight hours. However, PCSOs walking around local villages in two’s in daylight hours, to my mind does not threaten the burglary brigade.

To me a far better use could be made of PCSO by them working nights instead of days.

I do not know the stats but I presume more break ins etc take place under cover of darkness.

Your thoughts?

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127850]How many crooks have you caught with that expensive helicopter?…..get rid of it & put another 30 officers on the street!

[/quote]

IW: We share the helicopter with neighbouring forces now, as an expense cutting measure. One force surrendered their aircraft a year or so ago. This is an expensive resource however if I can introduce you to the number of people whos kids have been returned after they are missing you may have a different view. Also the helicopter provides high definition images from events to our control room and when locally, to my desk, which means we can put the right officers in the right place to deal with situation as they are happening. In order to reduce costs to the minimum we are now looking into drone technology. Watch this space…

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127872]1. Given there’s been an increase in accidents on the A483 at peak times shouldn’t the police be doing more to stop the illegal use of mobile phones. I regularly see many drivers texting/facebooking etc from the seat of my motorcycle. If officers used unmarked bikes for that purpose instead of harassing motorcyclists the roads would be a lot safer.[/quote]

IW: I am also a keen motorcyclist. I have never been harassed by police. What I have seen is riding , particularly on the A5 A487 A470 dangerously. There are key routes that our road policing units prioritise as part of their drive to reduce people being killed or seriously injured. That said, this is a complete bugbear of mine, off duty in my own car or on my motorcycle I repeatedly see people using their mobile telephones.

With the increased use of dashcams any footage recorded can be electronically submitted to north wales police via our website as part of Operation Snap, also we have specific patrols looking for these types of offences for which the maximum penalty has recently been doubled.

[quote quote=127872]
    2. As Wrexham appears to be descending into an open drug den, with drug abusers evident, the stench of cannabis, used drug paraphernalia discarded everywhere do you think it a good idea to be moving the police HQ to Llay?
    [/quote]

HJ: Historical pictures do not show the true current position in Wrexham where progress is being made to tackle the problems of both substance misuse and discarded needles. In terms of police presence there will be a new town centre facility next to the library so the move of certain policing operations to Llay will not impact on the town centre.

[quote quote=127872]
    3. Given rate payers pay a lot of money to the police precept, do you think we’re getting value for money? The police appear to be spending increasing amounts on capital such as buildings, vehicles etc but with fewer boots on the ground. The result is the feral element feel they now have freedom to cause havoc particularly with the arson in Caia Park.
    [/quote]

HJ: This is an issue that should be addressed to the Police and Crime Commissioner.

IW: Estates is a matter for the Police and Crime Commissioner.

wrexview
    Participant

Question for Councillor Hugh Jones … what are the Council going to do to promote the town of Wrexham , in light of the negative , out of date publicity in the national and local press over the last couple of days? My suggestion …. a concerted effort to deep clean the town Centre , eradicate the bubble gum on the pavements, make use of our spring flowers and trees coming into leaf , by the Council having spring free parking week advertising “Wrexham is open for business ” . We need an immediate initiative ! The businesses in the town deserve this !

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News