Worst performing A & E

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Worst performing A & E

• Author

Council Watcher
    Participant

What a demoralising headline for the staff who work their socks off to get people through the system as quick as they can with a shortage of resources and large numbers of people turning up who could just go to a chemist or make an appointment with their GP. It is time that people realised the title of this service is Emergency!! Not a drop in centre.

My personal measurement of performance at a Hospital is not how long you wait but whether after treatment you are still able to leave feeling confident that you have had appropriate treatment. Does Wrexham A & E have the worst performance for patients dying in waiting rooms – NO; Does it have the worst performance for patient satisfaction once they have been seen – NO.

Let’s give credit to all of the staff and encourage more people to work in the Health Service which is fast running out of people to do the basics- this is not about money because you only need to see the number of vacancies that have been around for months that just can’t be filled.

A SPECIAL PLEA – Think twice before you go to A & E and look for alternative treatment/diagnosis.

janeywxm
    Participant

“Cartrefle councillor Ronnie Prince also questioned whether there were measures in place to monitor how many left before receiving treatment each day.
    He said: “You’ve given a broad account of A&E, but is any work in process to bring down waiting times as we get a lot of complaints about people going to A&E who leave because of the long wait?”

That is the part of the problem! If you are able to leave and go home, then probably in most cases, you should not have been there to begin with!
    People use it for minor ailments and illnesses that GP’s should be dealing with. The system is being used incorrectly and I agree staffing is an issue but so is misuse of the department by patients!

Janey

krazypaving
    Participant

I completely agree! If you are leaving a&e then you obviously do not have an emergency. Unless you need things your GP, local pharmacy or local minors units cant provide, stay away from a&e.
    The ones who complain “we had to leave after 4 hours of waiting” its you that causes the problems there.

TimRegency
    Participant

It’s not true that it can’t be an emergency if you leave after some hours waiting. A suspected retinal detachment or aggressive diabetic foot infection are two examples. The problem is that people are not doctors and the Tory government defunding the NHS.

Councillor X
    Participant

If we charged our foreign visitors to use the NHS then i am sure that the figures would improve.

You cannot blame them for coming over and bringing their aging relatives to receive free health care but it has a strain on an already suffering service.

My neighbours bring both sets of parents over every winter and although they are very pleasant and we share a few beers, they expect the NHS to look after them because they are frail and sickly.

MP1953
    Participant

If we charged our foreign visitors to use the NHS then i am sure that the figures would improve.

You cannot blame them for coming over and bringing their aging relatives to receive free health care but it has a strain on an already suffering service.

My neighbours bring both sets of parents over every winter and although they are very pleasant and we share a few beers, they expect the NHS to look after them because they are frail and sickly.

Along the same lines The Labour government of the nineties and early noughties put in record amounts of money into Education and the NHS where they went wrong was they let in everyone and his dog in to swallow up all of that cash !

Matt
    Participant

Councillor X – are they from the EU? – If so, that’s currently called Freedom of Movement. Likewise – Spain, Portugal etc… deal with tens of thousands of our frail elderly every winter where they get equally free care using an EHIC card.

So if we swapped things out and all our elderly who escape the UK in the cold winter months came back here for treatment (they may well have to do so post Brexit) and the others stayed where they were, it would probably balance things out and the strain on the NHS would be equal. What do we do then? Force the elderly to pay for the NHS because their needs are greater than the rest when they worked for 45+ years paying in.

Was it your intention to come across as xenophobic? Something a bit sneaky about being nice to our overseas visitors when you see them face to face and then bitching about them behind their back. Something a bit off about that. At least be honest with them when you are sharing a drink and merriment.

MP1953
    Participant

Matt said Was it your intention to come across as xenophobic?

This is the problem Matt any comment or discussion about this and many other subjects and you are accused of being xenophobic or racist… the worlds gone nuts as someone says ! especially this country.

Matt
    Participant

Well as someone who takes everyone as they come on a personality and action basis, regardless of where they are from – you can see how I am struggling to understand why blame has once again fallen at the lap of ‘foreigners’.

If it were not for the fantastic overseas doctors, nurses and auxiliary staff working tirelessly in the NHS to ensure everyone stays well and doesn’t die then the public healthcare service would absolutely be on its knees. So to question why fellow human beings don’t deserve to be treated when they are guests in our country is beyond me and does by dictionary definition come across as a bit xenophobic – having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

In this case the prejudicial nature being that they should be begrudged access to our healthcare system.

It’s all swings and roundabouts – Brits abroad are the first to complain if there’s a charge for any healthcare when they are on a holiday and if we want to continue enjoying treatment when mishaps happen abroad then we should at the very least extend the same courtesy to those who come here. If someone is spending the winter here then they are adding to the economy, spending money etc…

The world hasn’t gone nuts, it’s just about being open minded and fair. People are perfectly entitled to voice their opinion in the same manner that I am perfectly entitled to disagree or interpret things as xenophobic.

bubble
    Participant

What do people from overseas have to do with this? Why would people from overseas using the NHS cause Wrexham – in particular – to be the “worst performing” A&E?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News