Women in power in Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Women in power in Wrexham

• Author

JaneJ
    Participant

Looking on the TV today at all the celebration marking a 100 years of the Suffrage movement and women getting the vote really shows that Wrexham has not moved very far forward. One female on the Council Executive out of 10 and only 10 out of a full Council of 52.

Come on ladies lets start planning for the next election and aim for 50/50 – at least at AM and MP level in Wrexham County it is 50/50 so shows it can be done.

Let’s go for it big time based on our ability and not gender, some of those long-serving Councilors who are driving Wrexham into the ground need to be removed. Leaving them to rule the roost with no challenge does not bode well for our children and children’s children. Act now or give up and expect education standards that fall far short of what our children deserve, a Social care system unable to cope with an ageing population and increased numbers of children living longer with what used to be life-threatening conditions, bin collections move to monthly, nature reserves established along all our roads and roundabouts, housing that is unfit and not enough.

Turn up at next Tuesday Council Executive and show that women deserve to be recognised. 10.00am Guildhall Council Chamber. Let’s start the Wrexham Women’s Movement for Change. Council Chamber followed by coffee at Ty Pawb. If you cant make the Council meeting just come for coffee. Come and join us- the future is in YOUR hands..

Nen
    Participant

My daughter has sort of half expressed an interest in this but, realistically, what type of person is Councillor a good option for? Is it enough money as a job in its own right or is it a part time “second job”. Seems to me that it’s more a “semi-retirement” job to supplement a pension and give them something to do. Or have I got this wrong?

Matt
    Participant

Good call to arms Jane – compeletely agree need some fresh blood into those chambers to deal with the continued stagnated decline of Wrexham.

Just look at Clr Pritchard’s independent group! 16 Middle aged white men & 0 women! These are the core of the coalition, the decision makers, executive power final call-makers. A bunch of group-think protect the role, make the cuts and play it safe types.

http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=GROUPING&VW=LIST&PIC=0

You’d think there was something almost masonic about their set-up. Shrouded in mystery as they are just the independents with no manifesto. You have to wonder why no female independents opted to align with that group?

Very eye-opening.

Liz Jackson
    Participant

This is not just about women and the Independents – try breaking the mould within the Labour Party In Wrexham as a female- tried a few years back and could hardly get a foot in the door so I terminated my membership. Maybe a bit different now as they do have a couple of females now on the Council.

As far as it is a job or part-time – the fact that the meetings have nearly all moved to daytime often disengages womon who tend to be (but not always) the ones in a partnership with children that do the playgroup, school run etc and have to fund work around these commitments – fitting anything else during daytime hours is almost impossible. How many women on the Council have school-age children- not many if any at all I suspect.

The “system” does not present a level playing field for male and females or age. I know we have an ageing population but surely we don’t need a Council filling up with those who are 55 plus in line with the Welsh Government Older Peoples Strategy.

I’ll be turning up on Tuesday just to see how many come and see if we can gather some momentum – (will have done the school run and checked on in-laws before 10.00). This will be great if we can start getting the female voice heard – above all show we have the understanding to be involved in politics and community action.

CarolThomas
    Participant

Jane the lack of responses here since you posted either shows that Wrexham.com threads are male-dominated (reflecting the Council) or Wrexham women are apathetic and could not care less – something I hoe can be proved wrong. I hope some women will make it to the Council Chamber tomorrow or for a chat over coffee to see what can be done.

Come on you male thread contributors tell your wives, partners, girlfriends, daughters about what is proposed.

Idris
    Participant

I think that this thread is very sexist and short sighted!

Women cannot be bothered to put themselves forward for the jobs and then play the sexist card because nobody is knocking on their door and asking if they want to be a Councillor! Men seem to have applied for the jobs, so why haven’t the women?

Don’t you think that Councillors should represent Wrexham’s diverse set up? Put in lots of Eastern Europeans and Portuguese and a few Muslims. Lets be as equal as we can. Include the Travelers, zombies and homeless on the Executive Board.

Woman are as equal as men, they just need to apply themselves and take the jobs!

Hugh Bet
    Participant

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=150556]Jane the lack of responses here since you posted either shows that Wrexham.com threads are male-dominated (reflecting the Council) or Wrexham women are apathetic and could not care less – something I hoe can be proved wrong. I hope some women will make it to the Council Chamber tomorrow or for a chat over coffee to see what can be done.

Come on you male thread contributors tell your wives, partners, girlfriends, daughters about what is proposed.[/quote]

Hi Carol, I think weekends, especially Sundays are very slow for Wrexham.com posts. Usually pick up during the week. Am sure lots of other people will be interested.

Perhaps you could ask Rob to do a tweet publicising it as well?

Matt
    Participant

You can’t really say Women aren’t trying to get in and apply for councillor jobs, you have 2 out of 3 Plaid councillors being female – that sends a strong message.

There definitely is a discussion needed about accessibility issues within some party/grouping circles.

Fair point taken about Labour and your personal experience Liz and I can only hope under Dana Davies’ leadership that things are changing locally.

You only need to look at the entire Ruling coalition – Independent/Wrexham Independent/Tories have just 5 out of 33 Councillors being female.

jimbow
    Participant

It’s one thing getting elected onto the Council from your local ward,it’s another to get the Leader to appoint you to a position on the Executive Board. To get into a position of having some clout is not that easy. But good luck,it comes across that it is not all about ability looking at the present make up of the Exec Board.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News