Wino's and other general wastes of space congregating in St Giles Car Park

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wino's and other general wastes of space congregating in St Giles Car Park

• Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote quote=115110]Some of what I have seen on this thread I find disturbing.

We are talking here about a vulnerable group in society, many with psychiatric illnesses who find themselves in a position that we all could were circumstances different. I have no doubt in my mind that none of these people want to be in the position they are in and many I am sure would be more than happy at the opportunity of employment, psychological intervention and accommodation. Alcoholism and drug addiction is an illness that has become a modern day epidemic that needs to be tackled a lot more.

The fault here lies with Government. Budgets for mental health support and drug and alcohol intervention continue to be slashed. When I see people congregating in this way I find it upsetting – not because the people disturb me by their behaviour but because it shows we have failed as a society to protect the unfortunate.

If we want to do something about the situation then get involved with the projects that aim to help. For example the “Feeding the Roofless” project, the homeless shelter in Holt Road (which does fantastic work but with extremely limited number of beds) and also the work of the Salvation Army locally and nationally.

Moving these people somewhere else doesn’t fix the problem. Are we really that apathetic to accept the solution to the problem as moving these people to somewhere we can’t see then ?

[/quote]

Well said. I agree with these comments.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=115110]Some of what I have seen on this thread I find disturbing.

We are talking here about a vulnerable group in society, many with psychiatric illnesses who find themselves in a position that we all could were circumstances different. I have no doubt in my mind that none of these people want to be in the position they are in and many I am sure would be more than happy at the opportunity of employment, psychological intervention and accommodation. Alcoholism and drug addiction is an illness that has become a modern day epidemic that needs to be tackled a lot more.

The fault here lies with Government. Budgets for mental health support and drug and alcohol intervention continue to be slashed. When I see people congregating in this way I find it upsetting – not because the people disturb me by their behaviour but because it shows we have failed as a society to protect the unfortunate.

If we want to do something about the situation then get involved with the projects that aim to help. For example the “Feeding the Roofless” project, the homeless shelter in Holt Road (which does fantastic work but with extremely limited number of beds) and also the work of the Salvation Army locally and nationally.

Moving these people somewhere else doesn’t fix the problem. Are we really that apathetic to accept the solution to the problem as moving these people to somewhere we can’t see then ?

[/quote]

Fair enough, but what about the people they are intimidating and frightening going about their normal business, or maybe move them to outside your abode :(

zinger
    Participant

Some posts on here stifle any sort of reasonable debate. Because opinions differ, doesn’t mean they are wrong, just seen from a different perspective.
    People who feel sorry for the poor unfortunates should do something about it. Don’t expect others to do it for them. Get them to mow your lawn perhaps and give them lunch. Just don’t give them the wherewithal to purchase drugs & booze.
    Families shouldn’t need to feel intimidated taking children to parks & other open spaces or into town for that matter.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=115141]Some posts on here stifle any sort of reasonable debate. Because opinions differ, doesn’t mean they are wrong, just seen from a different perspective.
    People who feel sorry for the poor unfortunates should do something about it. Don’t expect others to do it for them. Get them to mow your lawn perhaps and give them lunch. Just don’t give them the wherewithal to purchase drugs & booze.
    Families shouldn’t need to feel intimidated taking children to parks & other open spaces or into town for that matter.

[/quote]

Hear hear ….

krazypaving
    Participant

I parked in st giles today and they were there! I dont think they are homeless at all, there was a lad in an adidas tracksuit and riding a bike circling around people as they are getting out of their cars. A woman in her forties who looked ‘tidy’ i mean her hair and make up was done to a degree she was wearing a jacket that is still on sale in primark. None of them looked scruffy or like they are lacking a decent meal. I dont understand why you would do this, its pathetic, grown adults doing this and they are the first thing shoppers see when they arrive to park, my thoughts were what a shithole!!

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=115292]I parked in st giles today and they were there! I dont think they are homeless at all, there was a lad in an adidas tracksuit and riding a bike circling around people as they are getting out of their cars. A woman in her forties who looked ‘tidy’ i mean her hair and make up was done to a degree she was wearing a jacket that is still on sale in primark. None of them looked scruffy or like they are lacking a decent meal. I dont understand why you would do this, its pathetic, grown adults doing this and they are the first thing shoppers see when they arrive to park, my thoughts were what a shithole!!

[/quote]
    There are CCTV cameras all over town so why aren’t the police taking action? They must record a lot of incidents like this.
    I expect they don’t have the manpower or there is too much paperwork involved in dealing with these troublemakers.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News