Williams report recommends Wrexham merge with Flinsthire council

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Williams report recommends Wrexham merge with Flinsthire council

• Author

NJones
    Participant

Story on BBC news site: BBC News – Williams Commission report calls for fewer councils

The recommendation of reducing the 22 authorities down to 12 across Wales seems to make sense given current financial situation and all the ‘fat cat’ managers.

gogledd
    Participant

Why not merge with Denbughshire too, and rename it…..lets see…..Clwyd!

johnhoppy
    Participant

@gogledd 11327 wrote:

Why not merge with Denbughshire too, and rename it…..lets see…..Clwyd!

I and no doubt a few others remember the old Clwyd County Council, and in my opinion there was not much wrong with it. I presume that if we were to revert to Clwyd that the old District Councils would be revived also.

NJones
    Participant

I always said this would come full circle- things in local government always do. If only they spent less time wasting tax payers money deciding how things might be done better, and more time doing the jobs they are supposed to do- we’d probably all be better off!

zinger
    Participant

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of paperwork still has Clwyd as part of the address. The Halifax for one.

wrexview
    Participant

Hopefully the administrative centre for the new merged council will be in Wrexham, anything else would have a major effect on the economy of the town!

johnhoppy
    Participant

@wrexview 11332 wrote:

Hopefully the administrative centre for the new merged council will be in Wrexham, anything else would have a major effect on the economy of the town!

The Shire Hall in Mold was purpose built to accomodate the old Clwyd CC, and I imagine it would still be able to serve this purpose. Some Departments may be centred in Wrexham, but I can not see the administrative centre being here unfortunately.

wrexview
    Participant

Not long ago there was talk of demolishing the Shirehall in Mold , not sure if it was on economic or structural grounds.

NJones
    Participant

Th Shire Hall in Mold has got to the age where maintenance is very costly, and the accommodation doesn’t provide enough flexibility for the current occupiers. It would be a shame to see out of use or demolished (the architect was a local man) but instead it could be revitalised?

I think, given the concerns regarding the accommodation, that the centre would have to be in Wrexham, maybe utilising some of the buildings such as Redwither towers that WCBC owns. Still the councils have proved they don’t follow common sense or reason!

Alunh
    Participant

I suspect that the single biggest difference nowadays is the sophistication of the Computer systems with thinks like Skype taken as read. Many family members who work for large companies no longer have to travel to work in regional centres or London.

Rationalisation should be easily achieved and I would envisage certain services completely centralised and computerised and the savings on Admin rechanneled either back to the tax payer or into front line services.

Sensible report and, given the growth of the private sector nationwide, a move in the right direction

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News