Will Wrexham Be Known As The Container Town?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Will Wrexham Be Known As The Container Town?

• Author

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=145761]

Hopefully they will be more like ones you see across the country on building sites, that are equipped with kitchens, toilets and heating.

There are photographs on the planning application of them kitted out. I do not know how to show them on here, but have a look for yourself.[/quote]

BBC Was quoting these ones that have been already used in Newport. It is the equivalent of a small flat.

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/amazing-grace-spaces/

Council Watcher
    Participant

Containers are certainly not a new idea and have been used for at least 10 years in a number of cities- one of the key issues though is Wrexham Council are buying these in ready-made- delivery mid to late April after the cold weather so may not deal with current issues.
    The current issue of additional demand has partly been met by the church community over the past few nights who have opened doors to provide additional accommodation.
    The real success stories for containers this is been the homeless themselves do the conversion – this can give them a sense of order and belonging to respect ‘their’ container more.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/new-container-village-created-help-747654

Let’s praise the Council- Welsh Government who are actually funding this project (it is not coming from normal rates but as a grant). Next time though look at models that have made a real difference to people’s lives and address some of the social issues other than just accommodation.

zinger
    Participant

I have a concern that Rhosddu Colliery Road Chapel is being considered for the less vulnerable homeless to sleep. It is not in my back yard but I am concerned for the elderly and disabled people living in the vicinity as I have an elderly relative close by. I wonder what the term less vulnerable homeless means.

jimbow
    Participant

As I have alluded to in a previous post I am not against the use of containers to provide accommodation for the homeless.

What does concern me is that Wrexham could become the centre for more homeless people from surrounding areas, due to the innovation of this project.

I believe that Welsh Government should make each Council in Wales do as they do with the traveller community. Make it a law that each Council make their own container provision for the homeless, rather than saturate one area.

AMA Express
    Participant

They’re not converted shipping containers at The Maelor. They’re custom-built portable theatres.

Idris
    Participant

[quote quote=145757]some night in the near future the the local authority just might decide to shut them in and lock the doors of the containers,, mark them, for onward shipping to Libya and solve the dosser problem for good.[/quote]

JUST SEND THEM ALL BACK TO CHESTER, RHYL, LIVERPOOL, MANCHESTER ETC.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, you can have the homeless in doorways near Specsavers and along Island green, or you can have them in containers. It’s not a problem that’s going to magic itself away, and it’s not one you can just sweep under the carpet and ignore.

Containers seem to be a decent, low-cost solution to a problem that’s very much in your face if you go into the town centre as I have just done. I counted 7 homeless people, and I only walked from Island green up to McD’s and out by Avow.

As for “SEND THEM ALL BACK” in all caps – Wrexham is more than capable of making it’s own homeless and drug users, so take your rose tinted glasses and fuck off if you have nothing to add that requires the use of more than 3 braincells.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News