Will Wrexham Be Known As The Container Town?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Will Wrexham Be Known As The Container Town?

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

Wrexham Council Planning will today consider plans to use 4 converted shipping containers on land at the rear of Ty Nos homeless shelter on Holt Road for temporary accommodation.

This follows on from pod like shipping containers being used for procedures at the Maelor Hospital.

Where will this take and lead us?

BenjaminM
    Participant

Not sure what point you are trying to make here! I thought with the recent and ongoing inclement weather that the country is experiencing and likely to experience in the future, provision for homeless and destitute persons would be a welcome initiative.
    I fail to understand how you seem able to make a quantum leap from 4 containers proposed to be sited at the rear of a building to your, quite frankly, ridiculous header introducing this topic to the forum.
    At least one thing good comes from this thread. It gives us all a break from you bleating ad nauseum about the bloody markets.

Owain Glyndwr
    Participant

It will encourage homeless people from outside of the area come and live Wrexham and the ex Groves campers to come back into the town. They can make their own Hightown Flats!

jimbow
    Participant

This is a Forum about expressing oneself on any given topic that any one person so desires. You do not have to read about the markets, nobody makes you. It is just about opinions.

You have been off this forum for some time. Previously you were quite often slagging peoples opinions. Looks as if you are back at it again.

In your opinion it is a ridiculous header but at least it has got you off your backside and conjured a reply. Opinions keep the Forum going. Chill out BenjaminM.

Matt
    Participant

Shipping containers seem to be the latest neat, compact and functional thing to turn into usable space.

You only need to look at the Hawarden Estate Farm Shop on Broughton to see just how much you can upscale it.

https://www.olddailypostlink.co.uk/business/business-news/hawarden-estate-farm-shop-opens-10624281

I do agree that if we had hundreds of containers for temporary or more permanent accommodation for the homeless you’d end up with a “shanty town” effect. That’s more of a net aggregate effect of clustering a number of “problem” individuals together – like you get with high rise flats etc…

However, the actual concept is a really neat one. The actual way they are kitted out is (if one was to be well maintained) is better than the quality of accommodation that some young people end up living in as a starter home either through social housing or through private renting where standards have been poorly maintained and forced to live at an inflated cost.

Ty Nos is obviously the logical location for them, but you have to ask, does it create a homeless lottery where 4 lucky homeless get to stay there whilst the rest look on enviously. Also, I am guessing sufficient security will be in place to stop lots of people congregating and using one of the containers as a shooting up den and ransacking it as that would be a definite misuse of their purpose. I think there needs to be other provisions in place to deal with the drug addiction issues.

Whilst providing accommodation solutions for the homeless is desperately needed in town, there are also wider issues that need dealing with that were brought to light on social media over the cold weather spell. It was the case that whilst lots of the homeless made it into shelter during the freezing and snowy conditions, there were many homeless who completely shunned seeking shelter and further support as it meant that they’d not be able to get their fix and do their drugs. So local people had observed that places like the arcade had a number of homeless in it during the weekend who had left it in a poor state, including with discarded needles that actually left one member of the public with a needlestick injury just trying to tidy up the mess outside their shop.

This whole drug blight leaves a massive disconnect between homeless people who are somewhat vulnerable (many of them unable to get away from substance abuse) and then the local authorities who will help the homeless that choose food and shelter over drugs. There are a number of local groups who fill in these gaps and go out and try and help those still left on the streets regardless of what state they may find them in, but much of the time this is a thankless job as they face heavy criticism from both local authorities for not doing things by the book and accusations of drug-enabling and criticism from some wings of the general public who label them “do gooders” and obviously have an even lower opinion of “druggies”.

If you take the average Wrexham person, you’d find they are sympathetic towards those who are homeless (you only need to see the legendary status of homeless veterans on Facebook), but cannot come to terms with a person who is abusing drugs and all the stigmas and public health risks associated with it.

pete
    Participant

“Shipping container” buildings are all the rage in healthcare at the moment. Aside from the other benefits (speed of construction, factory finished item etc.), I think the main attraction is that they can be leased rather than being bought – handy when you don’t have the cash to buy it outright!

cromwell
    Participant

I say Jimbo old chap, look at the big picture. Wrexham council is providing a secure place for these people to sleep instead of shop doorways which they will also use to urinate in, also, it keeps them pretty well confined during the hours of darkness and prevents them getting up to mischief or crime along with causing great annoyance to the public. And who knows, some night in the near future the the local authority just might decide to shut them in and lock the doors of the containers,, mark them, for onward shipping to Libya and solve the dosser problem for good. So tell me Jimboy will that solve the problem for you, maybe you could tag along and ensure the containers are returned.

wrexview
    Participant

Hopefully they will be more like ones you see across the country on building sites, that are equipped with kitchens, toilets and heating.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=145757]I say Jimbo old chap, look at the big picture. Wrexham council is providing a secure place for these people to sleep instead of shop doorways which they will also use to urinate in, also, it keeps them pretty well confined during the hours of darkness and prevents them getting up to mischief or crime along with causing great annoyance to the public. And who knows, some night in the near future the the local authority just might decide to shut them in and lock the doors of the containers,, mark them, for onward shipping to Libya and solve the dosser problem for good. So tell me Jimboy will that solve the problem for you, maybe you could tag along and ensure the containers are returned.[/quote]

Hey Cromwell,less of the OLD chap. Where in my post have I criticised the Council for what they are doing? I do not have a problem with this solution. The question posed for discussion was,where will this take and lead us?

I have just had a procedure done in the Maelor Hospital that was carried out in what resembled a shipping container. I was informed the old building was falling down and that this was the way forward using containers as theatres.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=145759]Hopefully they will be more like ones you see across the country on building sites, that are equipped with kitchens, toilets and heating.[/quote]

There are photographs on the planning application of them kitted out. I do not know how to show them on here, but have a look for yourself.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News