why

• Author

johnhoppy
    Participant

The main problem as far as I can see with regard to the influx of Eastern European workers is that it usually drags down the wages of the native population (us). I am retired now, but when the Poles first came to Wrexham after Poland’s entry into the EC I did not receive a pay increase for 5 years, and I am convinced that this was due to the availability of cheap labour. They are entitled to come here and I have no argument with that, but when they come solely for work for a few years and live cheaply in multiple occupancy accommodation they can obviously live more cheaply that you and I who have families to support. I do not pretend to have any solution to this as you can not blame employers as if you complain there are plenty more on the next bus from Warsaw or wherever to take your place.

Simon
    Participant

I have no problem with the migrant workforce. Just that it was too many too soon in 2004. The UK, Ireland and a Scandinavian country didn’t have a cap on the numbers. We couldn’t cope. Even today we haven’t recovered from the pressures put on housing and hospitals etc
    It’s the illegals I’m concerned about. The past Labour government even admitted that they had no idea how many were in the country.
    If a takeaway can afford to pay cash-in-the-hand to illegals working there or delivering takeaways, then it’s not fair on the rest of us who have to pay tax!
    Takeaways and nightclubs have long been the target of HRMC.
    It’s a bit like driving instructors and anyone else who gets paid cash. 1 job for me, and 1 job for the taxman.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

It concerns about that the eastern europeans are becoming the new black.

A) An employer must fill in the details of any employer in real time now. If they do not have the correct documentation, the employer gets a fine of 1,000. So obviously the employer is either breaking the law in employing somebody who is illegal or the employee is legal.

B) Except for the over 65s population, all the age groups haven’t increased in Wrexham much over the last 2 census. So the problem is not immgrants swamping the system, it’s a case that locals are leaving (in my opinion probably education and no job prospects if you want to earn more than 20k) and the immigrants have chosen wrexham to live in.

For me, one of the attractions of returning is that wrexham is more cosmopolitan that is ever been before. I’m used to living in places where the immigrant or second generation immigration population is at least 50%. I love it.

Chris
    Participant

I think most of the replies justify the rant. If I had the time I would compile a list of similamr sized uk towns for comparison. There are better I agree but how many towns have a World heritage site on the doorstep. How many towns havehalf a dozen top international manufacturing companies within its borough.
    You think Wrexhams rough go and spend time in Handsworth Oldham Toxteth Bradford Stockport. If you think its souless live in Telford for a year or two. If you think we have lots of migrants and dont have the infrastructure to cope pop over to Lincolnshire, have a word with the locals there.

For those whom think theres better places to live why area you still here or why aren’t you working to improve what we have got. I would guess it because its easier to be negative.

I’m fortunate in my line of .work to speak to lots of visitors to this area and most complement the locals and the borough. People do travel from all over the UK and beyond to visit here, we should be proud of what we have got. I know I am. We should not be content though theres still plenty improve.

I’m also proud to be a volunteer who works to improve our community. I wonder how many of the moaners are.

Rob
    Participant

@Adam 9221 wrote:

Until recently I personally felt there was a subtle, but growing momentum of real change for the town. A rare mid week trip to the centre put pay to that.

-Markets as scruffy as ever despite the rhetoric…
    -A new ‘Hydroponics’ shop opened on Chester Street (that will pull in prospective tenants for the TJ Hughes site won’t it?)
    -Yet another Eastern European deli opening on Market Street.

According to the online planning docs, the latter apparently satisfies WBC’s Development Objectives..???

Surely it would be more troubling if the council were restricting what legitimate & legal business could be conducted , and consdiering nationalities of the owners?

Hopefully the markets issue you mentioned is being addressed :D

Adam
    Participant

@Rob 9241 wrote:

Surely it would be more troubling if the council were restricting what legitimate & legal business could be conducted , and consdiering nationalities of the owners?

Hopefully the markets issue you mentioned is being addressed :D

Lapdancing bars are legitimate businesses however I would hope the council would restrict one from opening next to the parish church.

I have absolutely no issue with Polish Deli’s as a business, however I do have a problem with any business opening in the town that has a negative visual, social or cultural impact.

Chris,

I’m afraid you’re not going to win the game of naming places better/worse to live than Wrexham.

To answer your question honestly, I don’t have the time, energy or inclination to attempt to change the town for (what I consider to be) the better as it is essentially a cultural problem. For every person I meet that want something better there are 5 that don’t see a problem and take any comment as middle-class snobbery.
    Clearly I am in the minority… I’ll continue to live in Wrexham for the convenience and spend my limited free-time and disposable income elsewhere..

NJones
    Participant

I’m quite happy living in Wrexham. I once lived in Crewe and Blackpool for a year and didn’t like it so moved back here. I work with disabled students and have done voluntary work in the community. I love the area – life is what you make it.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Jeremy Hunt said on the 25th march this year that non GB EU nationals ‘probably’ accounted for 200m of the 100 billion NHS budget. (figure would also include tourists)

That’s 0.2% of the NHS budget.

thats figure was ten times as much as cameron said.

No 10 struggles to back up Cameron’s immigration speech claims | Politics | theguardian.com

Of the 2.2 net EEA migrants, 13,000 were claiming Job seekers allowance in march 2013.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/world/europe/cameron-pledges-tighter-rules-for-immigrants-in-britain.html?_r=1&

Simon
    Participant

A hydroponics shop on Chester Street?

Not far from the Police Station. They’ll be training binoculars from their windows, seeing whose setting up home grows!!!

Simon
    Participant

I know one takeaway which has people from China, Iran, Pakistan working behind the counter. It also has Brits & Poles delivering the takeaways.

And it is cash in the hand.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News