What shop/restaurant/business would you like to come to Wrexham?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum What shop/restaurant/business would you like to come to Wrexham?

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Not sure about another Off Licence coming to Chester Street, we already have one on the corner of High Street/ Chester Street. No doubt the Council will consult before deciding whether to grant a licence .

Liam
    Participant

Quite a few objections from local business owners, unsurprising given the prevalence of people drinking on the streets nearby lately.

Adam
    Participant

I’ll be camped outside the planning office if they let this through..

As for the badly painted, fluorescent orange off license already on the corner of High Street.. what a beautiful sight for somebody entering Wrexham for the first time. I was told that planning had no option to reject it.

There’s a lot of talk on here about people taking pride in the town… unfortunately it’s very difficult when those running it treat it with such distain..

wrexview
    Participant

I agree with you the bright orange colour is totally out of keeping with the rest of High Street. A street with the Wynnstay Hotel listed front, a number of lovely stone buildings and the entrance to our grade1 listed St Giles Parish Church and Davies Brothers gates. Would making it a conservation area help?

Mike
    Participant

I think the ‘orange shop’ is probably one of a few we’re not exactly proud of and the difficulty is once we allow that sort of appearance it sets a precedent across the board.

Adam
    Participant

Of course it would help if it were a conservation area but can these designations be applied retrospectively? I’ve no idea. Perhaps if it were then we could start to claim back the few remaining historic and architecturally significant buildings in the centre.

For example:

The High Street entrance to the Butchers market – beautiful building. Flanked by a tanning salon and a cafe stuck in the 1977.

Above Overton Arcade: Trees growing on the roof

Central Arcade: Beautiful Victorian arcade leading to the Butchers markets. Needs plenty of TLC but could be a great feature of the town centre with niche shops. How is it advertised to the public? By a printed plastic sign nailed on with what looks like plasterboard nails.

There needs to be a concerted effort by the council (and all of us really) to ensure these buildings and others are protected and restored. We’ve lost far to many historic buildings over the decades – most replaced with soul-less shells that are already looking in need of replacing – the buildings around Queen’s square (it’s not a bloody square, don’t start me on that) are a typical example..

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News