What is the garden tax I hear about and at what cost to you

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum What is the garden tax I hear about and at what cost to you

• Author

welshman1000
    Participant

What do we Know about this proposed “Garden Tax” and is it around 3 times what we currently pay in Council tax? — hm.—- that’s Thousands of pounds out of our pocket each and every year maybe!
    Is that information correct?

wrexview
    Participant

In the grey booklet Corbyn holds up along side the red manifesto, the one that shows their costings for all the give aways, is a reference to a “land tax” as opposed to rates. Extrapolate that out and you get the idea of the garden tax ( house and land around it ). More concerning is they see this tax being paid by owners, so in theory housing associations , councils and landlords will be responsible for the tax not the tenants. Money to cover defaulters will almost certainly lead to higher rents.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=132506]What do we Know about this proposed “Garden Tax” and is it around 3 times what we currently pay in Council tax? — hm.—- that’s Thousands of pounds out of our pocket each and every year maybe!
    Is that information correct?

[/quote]
    One google search says ………….. Those with more than 1.23 acres of land face having to pay a 28 per cent levy on gains on the sale of a home.
    So thousands of pounds out of our pockets each year ……. if we are selling houses with 1.23 acres of garden!

Another says …………Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell has claimed that that a Labour Government will not add to the taxes of people earning below £80,000.

I don’t think they will make much out of my window box or pension but your typical Tory like Andrew may be out of pocket

wrexview
    Participant

This is annual tax suggestion , to replace rates. The reference to not adding to tax of those earning less than £80,000 refers to income tax, VAT and NI , I thought.

welshman1000
    Participant

Garden Tax Bills at 3 times the current Council Tax charge — I cant afford it just like you.
    thanks Wrexview — wasn’t aware about what you raised — so if you are a Landlord be very scared as it could
    cost you bigtime if tenants don’t pay.

Jamsindahouse
    Participant

**As per other forum thread**

The “Garden Tax” is the name the Tories have come up with so people with a garden think the are going to be charged more tax.

The actual idea is to rethink the way land value is assessed. This could actually lead to people paying less council tax as the current banding scheme would be either changed or replaced.
    More info can be found Here & Here

welshman1000
    Participant

What about the “hit” Landlords will take?

Jamsindahouse
    Participant

[quote quote=132513]What about the “hit” Landlords will take?
    [/quote]

From what I’ve read the value of the land is being judged solely on the land itself, not what is placed/developed upon it. (Please correct me if I’m wrong)

If landlords currently have tenants the tenants would be paying the council tax directly and this would be the same if the system was to move to a new Land Value Tax system.

With the possibility of the payments decreasing if the value of the land is set lower.

This is similar to how you can currently request the council to re-band your home if the current tax level is incorrect or house prices in your area have lowered.

wrexview
    Participant

Under the proposed idea the legal liability would rest with the owner and they would be the ones who would face prosecution for non payment. The reality is land/home owners are easier to trace than tenants.

Dick
    Participant

You’re in cloud cuckoo land if you think you will be paying less, who’s going to set the size to be taxed? will all those older council houses with large gardens be hit, course they will. This typical Labour politics of envy in that anyone with a large garden must be wealthy.
    Just for your info Atkinson lives in an ex council house in Llay not the mansion you infer. Why are Labour voters so envious of people who work hard to achieve something and make a few bob for themselves on the way?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News