What are the Criteria Used to Decide Which Roads Get Resurfaced?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum What are the Criteria Used to Decide Which Roads Get Resurfaced?

• Author

AMA Express
    Participant

Highways England are only responsible for motorways and some ‘A’ roads, so I doubt that their guidelines cover potholes in roads in Wrexham and it’s surrounding area.

(BTW They ceased to be The Highways Agency in December 2014)

jimbow
    Participant

Went into town centre yesterday down Chester Road. Pleasantly surprised that resurfacing work had started at the junction of the lights at Grove Road. When coming back out of town at midday the road had been dug out and was awaiting tar. Have been back into town mid morning today and the state of play has not changed. Not a worker in sight and still awaiting tar.

wrexview
    Participant

Good to see a proper new surface on the Chester Road junction with Grove Road , think they are waiting for some tarmac from the Tesco roundabout resurface. After the long wait for the pot holes to be banished a couple more days waiting for tar is well worth it !

parkingmad
    Participant

Walked through Bryn Offa this morning, contractors have just spent 3 days resurfacing the main road through the estate. What a mess if I had payed someone to resurface my drive and it ended up like that I would demand a refund. The tarmac is lifting up already.

zinger
    Participant

Painting white lines on estate roads that need resurfacing seems a bit of a waste of money. A few double yellow lines close to junctions with main roads might be a better use of paint.

wrexview
    Participant

Driving along Norfolk Road before anymore resurfacing , seems a dream, no deep pot holes to be seen or felt. However despite another piece of Chester Road by Garden Village shops being resurfaced recently there are still plenty of pot holes deep enough to cause vehicles to shudder as they pass over them. Surely arterial roads should be repaired before estate roads that do not have heavy HGV’s using them.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

We are squabbling over the details. The question is how come we were able to tarmac all these roads once from muddy and stoney tracks; yet now we cant even afford to repair them.

Mike Davies
    Participant

Lack of investment from Central government. The problem isn’t restricted to Wrexham, it is a nationwide issue. British roads have been neglected for many years. Research has shown it will take £Billions to bring all our roads up to scratch. Councils repair town roads but they rely on funding from Central government, which is reducing year on year. This means that they are just trying to play catch-up but without sufficient funding. Something needs to change but government are happy to keep the status quo because they know that is the Councils not them that people will blame. So they save the money and use it to prop up something else.

jimbow
    Participant

Mike– I take on board what you say. However, this should not be an excuse to use as the reason for not doing basic repairs. Look how long it took to repair Tesco roundabout and other major roads in Wrexham. And let us not forget the major priority of WCBC,The Councillors Car Park. Sorry, the priorities seem to be wrong.

Mike Davies
    Participant

[quote quote=176746]Mike– I take on board what you say. However, this should not be an excuse to use as the reason for not doing basic repairs. Look how long it took to repair Tesco roundabout and other major roads in Wrexham. And let us not forget the major priority of WCBC,The Councillors Car Park. Sorry, the priorities seem to be wrong.[/quote]

I am making no excuses for anybody, I was answering the previous question as to why the this Country was able to create and tarmac all the roads in the first place but cannot seem to maintain the roads anymore. The fact is there are too many roads that need repairing due to long-term neglect. How the work is prioritised is a different issue.

There are many reports and articles on the subject. This is quite a good read. A report is published every year by the AIA
    https://www.asphaltuk.org/wp-content/uploads/alarm-survey-2018-FINAL.pdf

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News