Welsh nationalists Plaid Cymru who are the kidding

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Welsh nationalists Plaid Cymru who are the kidding

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=140932]

Yes I’m one of those beloved Welsh nationalist Plaid Cllrs, Carrie here, sorry ‘Flipper’, there wasn’t an intention to be anonymous, thought it was fairly obvious. It’s actually the first time I’ve managed to log on here. What are you talking about public services not being impacted? The question was about the UK budget announcement yesterday and the potential impact of that on the Difficult Decisions proposals, not the Tory austerity agenda generally. Plaid aren’t in coalition in Wales, we’re in opposition. We’re sort of back to square one here, this is a good example of why I personally gave up on forums years ago.

I have said this before and will say it again, anyone who is in any sort of position of power should not be anonymous, councillors, council officers, etc. anyone who is not Joe Public should state who they are, because judging by many posts Joe Public is in the minority on here :(

The problem with the above thought MP1953 is this. You are anonymous, how do we know you aren’t doing exactly what you say others shouldn’t do. Are you really “joe public” as you call them, or maybe you are somebody in power with your own agenda. I have always posted under my own name (even before I was elected as a councillor). That was my choice. I sometimes think that anonymous people shouldn’t be able to make personal remarks about “real people”. I have had anonymous posters making personal and untrue statements about me on this forum, only for them to say afterwards “oops sorry, I was wrong”. Should that be allowed? It doesn’t really encourage me to want to debate on a public forum when I don’t know who I am talking to. Remember, this forum is un-moderated and it is possible to say just about anything without any redress.

It is also the case that we don’t actually know whether you are Mike Davies. Just because you have set it up as your user name does not mean that is who you are. And, without wishing to sound harsh, just honest, even if you are Mike Davies, I don’t actually know who Mike Davies is. I’m guessing you’re a councillor? But anyway, how do we know it’s really you?[/quote]

Fair points with some of this, BUT whoever it is that registers people on this site does know the names, and ok they could be giving false names although it seems pretty certain that Mike Davies is who he says he is or the real Mike Davies would be none to happy I guess, so for me like Mike Davies everyone who is a councillor, council official, belongs to a political party, union official etc. you get the picture should have the bottle to come on here as themselves, for me it doesn’t matter that others are anonymous as long as people put their points across sensibly, because at the end of the day if no one put themselves forward for positions within society where would we be.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=140936]
    Bubble, it would be quite easy to confirm my identification if you didn’t really believe it. Do you doubt everybody that you have discussed things with on this forum?[/quote]

I generally view anyone’s user name with some scepticism, as I think it’s unwise to simply accept that someone is who they say they are – particularly on the internet. Granted, with most users on Wrexham.com their user name is unlikely to be their real name (e.g. I am not called Bubble in real life). However, just because someone posts under a name that sounds like a real name does not mean that this actually is their real name – and the use of a real-sounding name certainly does not automatically make me believe it is real. Perhaps Wrexham.com could introduce a little verification symbol (like Twitter or Facebook).

Council Watcher
    Participant

I would not trust Facebook or Twitter as a way to verify anyone’s identity- same issue as on this thread.
    Not supporting Mike Davies anymore than any other Councillor but here are his details- not he is one of only two Councillors in Wrexham who have generally decided not to become part of an Independent Group but to actually remain Independent
    http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=1000000138

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=140939]I would not trust Facebook or Twitter as a way to verify anyone’s identity- same issue as on this thread.
    Not supporting Mike Davies anymore than any other Councillor but here are his details- not he is one of only two Councillors in Wrexham who have generally decided not to become part of an Independent Group but to actually remain Independent
    http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=1000000138[/quote]

Facebook and Twitter have little symbols (blue ticks) to indicate if this really is the person, which whilst not perfect are more reliable indicators that people are who they say they are than just taking someone’s word for it. I appreciate you have given me a link to Mike Davies’ page, but that still does not prove that the Mike Davies on Wrexham.com forum is that same person. I actually happen to believe that he is, but I do not know this for a fact. Using a real-sounding name does not necessarily mean that we are talking to the person whose name it is. It can be just as anonymous as any other user name.

Mike Davies
    Participant

[quote quote=140940]

I would not trust Facebook or Twitter as a way to verify anyone’s identity- same issue as on this thread.
    http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=1000000138

Facebook and Twitter have little symbols (blue ticks) to indicate if this really is the person, which whilst not perfect are more reliable indicators that people are who they say they are than just taking someone’s word for it. I appreciate you have given me a link to Mike Davies’ page, but that still does not prove that the Mike Davies on Wrexham.com forum is that same person. I actually happen to believe that he is, but I do not know this for a fact. Using a real-sounding name does not necessarily mean that we are talking to the person whose name it is. It can be just as anonymous as any other user name.[/quote]

It would be very simple to check who I am. If anybody emailed me (using the email address on the council website), and asked me if it was indeed me posting on wxm.com they would have the answer :-)

Council Watcher
    Participant

I think all Thread Poster should meet for a Christmas get together and wear two badges one with thread names and one with real names (assuming people still used their real name) would be interesting to see what disguises some of the posters put on for a face to face meeting

jimbow
    Participant

Mike Davies would come as bubble.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Or Bubble could come as Mike Davies – everyone bring a photo license!!

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=140952]Or Bubble could come as Mike Davies – everyone bring a photo license!![/quote]

Maybe Bubble and Mike Davies are one and the same! ;-)

Council Watcher
    Participant

On the assumption that a number of contributors are one of the same – the Christmas get together would only need a very small room to meet!!!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News