Welsh nationalists Plaid Cymru who are the kidding

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Welsh nationalists Plaid Cymru who are the kidding

• Author

flipper
    Participant

Not hasty at all in fact lots of tumble weed has passed by, its not criticism it’s the truth, Plaid are just playing to the audience they have done for year’s it would be a different tune if they were in power though and there is no chance of that thank goodness.

draiggoch
    Participant

There were other savings proposals, capping senior pay, capping consultant spend, boosting local spend via public procurement as well as others. Cuts are unavoidable with a decreasing budget but you prioritise how you make savings, as a starting point from the top down and not the bottom up. Hopefully not such a horrendous idea even from a ‘tiny opposition’? Yes Plaid have a small group, that means having to punch above your weight to get ideas out there and proposals on the table. Doing ok judging by this thread!

You can’t predict a budget 7 months out so no, there wasn’t an alternative budget back in May. You’ll have to wait to criticise that. As for the rationale of taking the council budget proposals through scrutiny? Errr,scrutiny, challenge, openness, transparency, accountability, the list goes on. There’s a reason the committees are there, to challenge the Executive Board and lead members, as well as ‘looking good’ and ‘ego building’ as you put it! How effectively they do that is down to the capability of the individual members on those committees, thanks to Plaid, you’ll get a chance to judge that for yourself.

With the Westminster budget query, I doubt it unfortunately but happy to be corrected. As I understand it half of the additional £1billion capital funding over 4 years is effectively a loan and ultimately paid back to the UK Treasury. The rest of the spending announced totals just over £200m over 3 years. The Welsh Gov have stated in real terms the budget is still down 5% since 2010 , so they’re certainly not expecting yesterdays announcement to have a huge impact on public services and have said so. On the basis of that, I would think the Difficult Decisions proposals are still very much live.

flipper
    Participant

Draiggoch you come across as you know a lot? You are not one of thos Plaid councillors are you? You don’t honestly believe public services are not impacted, when people are living in shop door fronts, the dependence on food banks is on the increase where have you been. This is the austerity measures handed down by Westminster and welsh government where your leader is in coalition. Do you honestly think any local authorities want to make cuts, I for one don’t want any cuts but I know they have to be made. You mention cut from the top that old chestnut wake up and smell the coffee millions need to be saved and it’s going to take more than iPads to make the savings.

draiggoch
    Participant

Yes I’m one of those beloved Welsh nationalist Plaid Cllrs, Carrie here, sorry ‘Flipper’, there wasn’t an intention to be anonymous, thought it was fairly obvious. It’s actually the first time I’ve managed to log on here. What are you talking about public services not being impacted? The question was about the UK budget announcement yesterday and the potential impact of that on the Difficult Decisions proposals, not the Tory austerity agenda generally. Plaid aren’t in coalition in Wales, we’re in opposition. We’re sort of back to square one here, this is a good example of why I personally gave up on forums years ago.

Matt
    Participant

Welcome to the forums Carrie. Ultimately if people on here are true to their word you should earn respect for being a councillor who actually posts on here.

There have been ones who have come & gone, but I find the political spectrum of Wrexham residents on here incredibly broad.

I think there is an automatic bias against Plaid in Wrexham but as a Labour voter on a national level I find local Labour’s opposition to cuts etc… against the Independent-Tory coalition quite flimsy. So to have a grouping of councillors who are willing to be vocal and stand up to the ridiculous slash and burn budget cuts should be welcomed. If no-one is willing to do anything to scrutinise the status quo then we may as well not have councillors and let them have a dictatorship instead.

When the independents are actually just a party themselves, their usefulness as independent standing members who can question party politics of the major ruling parties becomes redundant.

draiggoch
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome Matt, appreciated. I’m happy for people to judge me/us on what we do, not what we say online and ultimately what we achieve. Completely agree with your comment on the Independents!

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=140896]Yes I’m one of those beloved Welsh nationalist Plaid Cllrs, Carrie here, sorry ‘Flipper’, there wasn’t an intention to be anonymous, thought it was fairly obvious. It’s actually the first time I’ve managed to log on here. What are you talking about public services not being impacted? The question was about the UK budget announcement yesterday and the potential impact of that on the Difficult Decisions proposals, not the Tory austerity agenda generally. Plaid aren’t in coalition in Wales, we’re in opposition. We’re sort of back to square one here, this is a good example of why I personally gave up on forums years ago.[/quote]

I have said this before and will say it again, anyone who is in any sort of position of power should not be anonymous, councillors, council officers, etc. anyone who is not Joe Public should state who they are, because judging by many posts Joe Public is in the minority on here :(

Mike Davies
    Participant

[quote quote=140910]

Yes I’m one of those beloved Welsh nationalist Plaid Cllrs, Carrie here, sorry ‘Flipper’, there wasn’t an intention to be anonymous, thought it was fairly obvious. It’s actually the first time I’ve managed to log on here. What are you talking about public services not being impacted? The question was about the UK budget announcement yesterday and the potential impact of that on the Difficult Decisions proposals, not the Tory austerity agenda generally. Plaid aren’t in coalition in Wales, we’re in opposition. We’re sort of back to square one here, this is a good example of why I personally gave up on forums years ago.

I have said this before and will say it again, anyone who is in any sort of position of power should not be anonymous, councillors, council officers, etc. anyone who is not Joe Public should state who they are, because judging by many posts Joe Public is in the minority on here :([/quote]

The problem with the above thought MP1953 is this. You are anonymous, how do we know you aren’t doing exactly what you say others shouldn’t do. Are you really “joe public” as you call them, or maybe you are somebody in power with your own agenda. I have always posted under my own name (even before I was elected as a councillor). That was my choice. I sometimes think that anonymous people shouldn’t be able to make personal remarks about “real people”. I have had anonymous posters making personal and untrue statements about me on this forum, only for them to say afterwards “oops sorry, I was wrong”. Should that be allowed? It doesn’t really encourage me to want to debate on a public forum when I don’t know who I am talking to. Remember, this forum is un-moderated and it is possible to say just about anything without any redress.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=140926]

I have said this before and will say it again, anyone who is in any sort of position of power should not be anonymous, councillors, council officers, etc. anyone who is not Joe Public should state who they are, because judging by many posts Joe Public is in the minority on here :(

The problem with the above thought MP1953 is this. You are anonymous, how do we know you aren’t doing exactly what you say others shouldn’t do. Are you really “joe public” as you call them, or maybe you are somebody in power with your own agenda. I have always posted under my own name (even before I was elected as a councillor). That was my choice. I sometimes think that anonymous people shouldn’t be able to make personal remarks about “real people”. I have had anonymous posters making personal and untrue statements about me on this forum, only for them to say afterwards “oops sorry, I was wrong”. Should that be allowed? It doesn’t really encourage me to want to debate on a public forum when I don’t know who I am talking to. Remember, this forum is un-moderated and it is possible to say just about anything without any redress.[/quote]

It is also the case that we don’t actually know whether you are Mike Davies. Just because you have set it up as your user name does not mean that is who you are. And, without wishing to sound harsh, just honest, even if you are Mike Davies, I don’t actually know who Mike Davies is. I’m guessing you’re a councillor? But anyway, how do we know it’s really you?

Mike Davies
    Participant

[quote quote=140932]

The problem with the above thought MP1953 is this. You are anonymous, how do we know you aren’t doing exactly what you say others shouldn’t do. Are you really “joe public” as you call them, or maybe you are somebody in power with your own agenda. I have always posted under my own name (even before I was elected as a councillor). That was my choice. I sometimes think that anonymous people shouldn’t be able to make personal remarks about “real people”. I have had anonymous posters making personal and untrue statements about me on this forum, only for them to say afterwards “oops sorry, I was wrong”. Should that be allowed? It doesn’t really encourage me to want to debate on a public forum when I don’t know who I am talking to. Remember, this forum is un-moderated and it is possible to say just about anything without any redress.

It is also the case that we don’t actually know whether you are Mike Davies. Just because you have set it up as your user name does not mean that is who you are. And, without wishing to sound harsh, just honest, even if you are Mike Davies, I don’t actually know who Mike Davies is. I’m guessing you’re a councillor? But anyway, how do we know it’s really you?[/quote]

Bubble, it would be quite easy to confirm my identification if you didn’t really believe it. Do you doubt everybody that you have discussed things with on this forum?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News