'Welcome to Wrexham' signage

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum 'Welcome to Wrexham' signage

• Author

zinger
    Participant

[quote quote=143772]The problem is , it takes too long to bring to fruition any good ideas. Meeting after meeting, plans of action etc, etc. It is just too long winded.[/quote]

Tell me about it.

Daave63
    Participant

“Parliamentary probe into tackling ‘legal high’ issues takes evidence from Wrexham”
    Thats the signage issue sorted then :

WELCOME TO WREXHAM
    The Birth Place of
    The Spice Boys

JP
    Participant

I remember reading the Lonely Planet guide entry on Wrexham some years ago, that was hardly flattering.
    I grew up in Wrexham in the late `70s, I can remember how the town changed; for the better.
    Walk through Wrexham now, and I really can not see how you can come back from the current situation.
    Wrexham is now a dormitory town.
    The centre is somewhere to avoid.

I went to the David Starkey talk at the Parish Church last year, walking out down church street you are faced with a store that has not been occupied this century, with a dosser in a sleeping bag in the doorway, got to the corner of High street/Chester street and there was a ~10 year old lad shouting abuse in a broad traveller accent, while he stood on the kerb and pissed in the road.

I will not take my daughter into town due to the prevalence of drug dealing or drugged up dossers there.
    The centre of town, Queens Square, outside the Guildhall, in banking hours.
    I made the mistake of pointing a drug dealer out to the town centre bobby on the only occasion I`ve seen a copper in town (rememberance day), and nearly got arrested for the effort.

JP
    Participant

As for the signage, I travel to the Nottingham area fairly often.

You pass three prisons on the way, dove gate(?) just after Uttoxeter, Fosson(?) off of the A500 and another in Cotton in the Clay.

Non of them have banner size signage like Berwyn, if you didn’t know they were there, you would probably miss them entirely.

Why is it that Wrexham seems to be infatuated with the crap end of the population?

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=143772]
    Who am I to say how to market the town. When I have asked questions and given ideas to the Council on markets, all I get back is, I cannot have input as I am not a stallholder.
    The Council have a well paid Regeneration Manager, countless number of staff in Economic Development and a Destination Wrexham team. There are Steering Groups and Task and Finish Groups.
    The problem is , it takes too long to bring to fruition any good ideas. Meeting after meeting, plans of action etc, etc. It is just too long winded.[/quote]

You only need to look at the volume of different groups & management & their ridiculously stuffy titles to realise how terrible they must be at achieving anything. Regeneration Manager, Steering Groups, Task and Finish – what a massive load of hot air and bureaucracy.

You just know the outcome of these meetings has all the creative edge of when you were asked by your teacher in school to design a poster to make Maths look cool & they genuinely felt this was achievable. Some kind of nerd dazzling a layabout with his cap on backwards and a skateboard by using a calculator.

You apply that level of dullard thinking to a town and county level and you know we’re screwed. They can’t even consult the kids about what they like doing about the town as they are too busy being issued with dispersal orders.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham students dig in to create peace garden at local care home

News

Hundreds take part in inaugural 5k and 10k race in aid of Wrexham-based hospice

News

College students hosting Wrexham football themed charity dinner for local causes

News

RSPCA urges a radical rethink of animals’ rights as part of ‘For Every Kind’ campaign

News

Wrexham to host to second stage of Tour of Britain Women

News

Man “arrested on suspicion of wounding” after “public order incident” in city centre

News