'Welcome to Wrexham' signage

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum 'Welcome to Wrexham' signage

• Author

zinger
    Participant

Go on then JP. Tell us what you think should be on the signage. There will always be someone who disagrees.

I mentioned the markets & industrial heritage as well as having the oldest international football ground & the 3rd oldest football club in the WORLD but of course those are all past Wrexhamites achievements.

With your POSITIVE head on, what do you think should be on the signage to encourage people to come to Wrexham County as well as the town. Anyone can be negative it is much harder to be positive.

JP
    Participant

Welcome to Wrexham.

Home of three of the seven wonders of Wales.

You only mentioned football, if you want to start on local industrial history; I suggest you really swot up first.

You could look at Olympic medal winners from Wrexham, Matthews in Tokyo, and at least two since Wrexham FC last staggered from a relagation battle.

Animal Mother
    Participant

[quote quote=143735]Welcome to Wrexham.

Home of three of the seven wonders of Wales.

You only mentioned football, if you want to start on local industrial history; I suggest you really swot up first.

You could look at Olympic medal winners from Wrexham, Matthews in Tokyo, and at least two since Wrexham FC last staggered from a relagation battle.[/quote]

Agreed, who cares about “a bunch of vein, illiterate, millionaire, borderline rapists, who’s job it is to shepherd a bit of leather into a badly made outdoor cupboard”

Wrexham has so much cultural and industrial heritage you couldn’t fit it all onto the sign.

For me, the things to be proud of here are:

3 of the 7 wonders of wales
    Home of the Poncysyllte and Chirk aqueducts
    Home of the Fron male voice choir
    Birthplace of Charles Harold Dodd
    Olympic medal winners

jimbow
    Participant

JP, Animal Mother,

Could 3 of the 7 wonders of Wales be Mark, Hugh and David. People are always saying I WONDER what they will come up with next.

Matt
    Participant

Elaborate signage is just posturing anyway in this day and age. Who in this country has ever seen a sign for what’s in a town and spontaneously thought bloody hell best stop off here? People are very meticulous of getting from a to b with pre-defined stops on the way (their favourite service stations). This is especially true in the day and age of the sat-nav and still happened when we were reliant on AA road maps.

I like the whole idea of going on an American road trip where you get hundreds of miles of straight road and signage for ridiculous roadside attractions like see the Midwest’s largest pumpkin or world’s largest collection of carved soap Lionel Richie figures. Do something like that will get the punters into town.

zinger
    Participant

We have one of the highest villages in Wales and one of the largest. I won’t mention the largest Council Estate as that could be a negative. As you say there is Gresford Bells, Wrexham Steeple & Overton Yew trees. We have Wats Dyke & Offas Dyke. We have Erddig Hall & Chirk Castle. Industrial Heritage wise we have Bersham Ironworks without which James Watt might not have perfected his steam engines. We had coal, steel, iron, lead, brick & tile works aplenty. Biggest amongst the negatives are the people who make mockery of the town & county & just love to put it down.

JP
    Participant

Had.

Wrexham has gone backwards for 20 years

jimbow
    Participant

Zinger.

Every town have bells,a steeple and yew trees. Visitors to Wrexham I believe do not come especially to see just these.
    I regularly see coach trips to the Aqueduct. However, if coming from the North the overnight stay is in either Ruthin or Mold, and from the South it is usually Shrewsbury. Wrexham as a town does not benefit a lot from the Aqueduct, it is of more benefit to Llangollen. It seems to me Wrexham have lost the plot in attracting visitor footfall.

zinger
    Participant

How do you think that we should market the town then? Just give up? That would be the easiest option. It is hard to keep positive amongst so much negativity.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=143770]How do you think that we should market the town then? Just give up? That would be the easiest option. It is hard to keep positive amongst so much negativity.[/quote]

Who am I to say how to market the town. When I have asked questions and given ideas to the Council on markets, all I get back is, I cannot have input as I am not a stallholder.
    The Council have a well paid Regeneration Manager, countless number of staff in Economic Development and a Destination Wrexham team. There are Steering Groups and Task and Finish Groups.
    The problem is , it takes too long to bring to fruition any good ideas. Meeting after meeting, plans of action etc, etc. It is just too long winded.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News