Webchat with North Wales Police

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Webchat with North Wales Police

• Author

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

[quote quote=96748]L asks “Do you have any update on when you are starting to build in Llay and knock down the tower? Wasnt this meant to start in August?”

The build is underway in Llay – I understand the completion date is middle of next year. The tower at Wrexham will not come down until the new town centre police station is complete and that has been delayed a litte. We expect that build to be complete by early 2016 so the tower (and the rest of the existing police station) will be demolished soon afterwards.
    Paul Wycherley.

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

[quote quote=96749]Darryl (yeah that one!) asks “Over the last few weeks there have been an increase in patrols in the Hightown area – has there been a notable reduction in crime and incidents in that area since the increase of patrols? And has this had a knock on impact on crime in the surrounding areas?”

The increased patrols have brought recorded instances from that area back to what we would expect. There is no eviddence that crime has been displayed elsewherre.
    Paul Wycherley.

R T
    Keymaster

In the interests of completeness Adam and Paul both could not resist a hopefully comedy question asking “What’s the best way to kill someone and get away with it?” “How do I pull off the perfect heist?”

R T
    Keymaster

Just had one sent in from Nic saying: “Can you ask if there is any plans to do spot checks with the new drug and drive devise loads of people drive under the influence of cannabis in the early mornings?”

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

[quote quote=96752]In the interests of completeness Adam and Paul both could not resist a hopefully comedy question asking “What’s the best way to kill someone and get away with it?” “How do I pull off the perfect heist?”

I retire in 9 years – I’ll tell you then!

Paul Wycherley.

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

[quote quote=96753]Just had one sent in from Nic saying: “Can you ask if there is any plans to do spot checks with the new drug and drive devise loads of people drive under the influence of cannabis in the early mornings?”

Yes there is, in fact first arrest made in North Wales using this device two weeks or so ago.

Paul Wycherley.

R T
    Keymaster

I have been passed a question about burglaries – enquiring how things are looking this year compared to last? I would imagine the other thing to ask on that is why and how things have changed…

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

[quote quote=96756]I have been passed a question about burglaries – enquiring how things are looking this year compared to last? I would imagine the other thing to ask on that is why and how things have changed…

We know this offence category cuts into the heart of communities. So far this year compared to last we have seen a reduction in house burglaries of 41% in this area and of buildings other than dwellings (shops, sheds etc) of about 17%.
    I are very open that we are targetting those who do most harm in this crime recording area. Most of our career burglars have now been imprisoned – indeed a further one, Ashley Butterfield, was imprisoned today for 16 months following a burglary in the rural area.
    This crime category remains a priority for us.
    Paul Wycherley.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote quote=96742]<P>Stephen submitted several questions with a common theme indicating a certain scepticism on police and policing. Enquiring why police are ‘unpleasant’, ‘why do you arrest people for pointless crimes’ and finally posing a question of “Why do you think I don’t like you ?”</P>[/quote]

Welcome to the Chat Stephen. Arrests have to be justified and proportional on EVERY occasion. These are usually in order to protect other people from har, protect that person from harm, protect property or secure and preserve evidence of a crime. There have been several legislation changes from the government in the past few years which has led to the use of Code G. This has resulted in more people being voluntary interviewed whereas before they may have been arrested. We have also seen increased use of community resolutions and fixed penalty notices, all of which are an alternative to arresting somebody.

It should be noted that all arrests are scrutinised by not only the custody sergeant but also a reviewing Police inspector and finally they have to stand up to scrutiny in court. I am confident therefore that arrests made by officers are fully justified in the majority of cases. Officers are under increasing demand at present and police a large area and due to this will only arrest if really necessary.

Without knowing what you refer to as a ‘pointless crime’ I am unable to respond to this point.

The vast majority of the community find us quite pleasant and approachable and recent polls would indicate an increase in customer satisfaction.

Sgt Simon Kneale

R T
    Keymaster

As we come to the end of all, or variations of all, questions that have been submitted I will use the opportunity to add my own pair!

First is predictably about restrictions on fans travelling to and from football matches in a so called ‘bubble’. This season it is sounding likely that Wrexham’s fans could be restricted for Tranmere and Chester games along with (non bubble) police restrictions at a fellow fans owned club FC United in a preseason game.

The question is the likes of Manchester and Liverpool derbies, and even Millwall, do not get bubbled so what makes us such a uniquely terrible set of fans that requires such policing bearing in mind the scale of crowds involved?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News

“Disrespectful” easter egg hunt in cemetery cancelled after backlash

News