Webchat with North Wales Police

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Webchat with North Wales Police

• Author

R T
    Keymaster

Andy asks: “What more is being done to prevent the use of Heroin in our children’s playgrounds & the used needles left behind, such as in Rhosddu?”

R T
    Keymaster

More of a statement than a question that has just come in on twitter just now: “we really struggle with motorbikes and scooters riding on the footpath outside the houses. Nearly hit my daughter!” What would be the right course for Jenny to take on this issue?

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote quote=96715]<P>James asks: “In a recent report compiled from a Freedom of Information request, the number of complaints lodged against NW Police has increased from 37 in 2012 to 75 in 2014, whilst up to March 2015, 20 cases were under active investigation.<BR>Is this indicative of institutional arrogance or that Officers of NW Police are in need of training in interpersonal skills for dealing with the general public?”</P>[/quote]

Good Afternoon James, many thanks for your question. We pride ourselves as an organisation on our professional standards and ethics. We follow the Code of ethics which is a detailed document providing a standard at which we operate. The vast majority of complaints we receive from members of the public were about “quality of service” issues. As with all complaints, these are investigated and often provide us with valuable information to improve practices.

Another potential reason for the increased reporting is due to the fact that the Police Service has become much more transparent and accessible to the public. There are now far greater means of contacting the local Police with the introduction of SMS messaging, Email and also the various social media platforms. Processes have changed nationally with the Independent Police Complaints Commission and as a result we investigate far more reports which may not have been recorded previously. This is positive indication of the evolution of the police service who often welcome the feedback in order to identify whether there are any training / developmental needs. The public have more confidence in contacting the police and there is a far greater awareness of the Police Commissioners office who oversee the complaints.

Recently we have improved our processes significantly in victim care and this has led to an increase in customer satisfaction. We now have contracts for victims of crime and this enables an agreement to be made with the investigating officer to ensure that the victim is fully versed on the progression of an investigation.

The assurance I can give is that we are constantly improving and we continue to seek ways to increase customer satisfaction. We investigate all complaints thoroughly to ensure that we are in line with the code of ethics and the Victims Code of Practice. The vast majority of officers carry out their duties to the highest of standards and integrity.

Sgt Simon Kneale

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

[quote quote=96730]Andy asks: “What more is being done to prevent the use of Heroin in our children’s playgrounds & the used needles left behind, such as in Rhosddu?”

Needles left in playgrounds is not acceptable – I am really concerned to hear about this. Wrexham County Borough Council’s Streetscene (part of the environmental department) regularly attend areas where these items are discarded and collect them. So if see any – anywhere – please let them know.
    With regard to heroin use this is a significant problem nationally. I met recently with Ian Lucas MP and he raised this issue. We have had successes with regard to drug warrants executed on dealers and offenders imprisoned but I accept that everytime we do this, a new dealer pops us. In reality we are intelligence driven, so if anyone has intelligence or information on known dealers please let us know on 101 or, in total confidence, via crimestoppers on 0800 555111. Every piece of intelligence received regarding drug abuse in this area is seen by Sergeant Simon Kneale or myself and either acted upon immediately, or developed for a future operation. Since April 2015 we have conducted more search warrants in this area than in the preceeding 6 months and more are imminent.
    Paul Wycherley.

R T
    Keymaster

Ryan asked: “Why is it I see the same drug dealer dropping off drugs at the same house every day/ every other day and nothing is done I’ve reported it twice and still nothing gets done” Joy added: “I say the same as Ryan we have drug seller rideing round the rd like mad man round the backs of were I live people coming in their pj buying off them. If a child was playing round were they turn and back out they be killed the police know about it and do nothing about it”

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

[quote quote=96734]Ryan asked: “Why is it I see the same drug dealer dropping off drugs at the same house every day/ every other day and nothing is done I’ve reported it twice and still nothing gets done” Joy added: “I say the same as Ryan we have drug seller rideing round the rd like mad man round the backs of were I live people coming in their pj buying off them. If a child was playing round were they turn and back out they be killed the police know about it and do nothing about it”

I don’t know the area you are referring to. However, I promise you that Sgt Simon Kneale and I personally see all intelligence we receive about drug use/dealers in our area. Yesterday we executed a drugs warrant resulting in 4 arrests and recovery of class A substances. That operation started via local people alerting to us. Sometimes firming up the intelligence takes a long time – that frustrates me as well – if you want to call me personally on 101 I will look at your specific area and tell you where we are up to.
    Paul Wycherley.

R T
    Keymaster

Colin asks: “Why is a police officer allowed to talk on a mobile phone whilst driving!”

R T
    Keymaster

Mark colourfully asked about restraining methods used by police, to paraphrase he said it can be assault if he placed a hand on a policeman yet a policeman ‘can kick, punch, bend ya arms ways that’s not possible’ and ‘we don’t get that option to call it assault’. The question (I guess) is what is the difference?

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote quote=96731]<P>More of a statement than a question that has just come in on twitter just now: “we really struggle with motorbikes and scooters riding on the footpath outside the houses. Nearly hit my daughter!” What would be the right course for Jenny to take on this issue?</P>[/quote]

I would urge anybody to report incidents such as this directly to the police control room on 101. We have recognised that there is an issue with individuals riding motorbikes and scooters, often without helmets, in an anti-social manner. It assists us greatly if full information can be passed such as descriptions of the riders and the machine and any registrations. This enables us to respond effectively along with our partners in the Local Authority CCTV office.

We recently ran a proactive operation in the Caia park area utilising specially trained officers riding off road motor bikes. In the past 3 weeks we have successfully seized 3 motorbikes and will actively seek to remove any machine driven in an anti-social manner.

PLEASE report these incidents and we will respond wherever possible. Alternatively pass the information to your local CBM or PCSO.

Sgt Simon Kneale

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

[quote quote=96736]Colin asks: “Why is a police officer allowed to talk on a mobile phone whilst driving!”

They’re not! Historically officers were allowed to use their radios when they were driving under an exemption provided for in law. The modern day radios though have a built in mobile telephone and so officers should not use that when driving. All police patrol vehicles have a specific set built in so that officers should use that when driving by pressing a small button on an arm like an indicator switch.

Psul Wycherley.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News