WCBC + Unison are playing the deception game

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum WCBC + Unison are playing the deception game

• Author

Conde
    Participant

Hello all,
    I don’t know how many of you saw the article in the Leader today ( 18/07/2013 ) in which the Council explain a bit about their package of volentary redunancies etc.

It strikes me as exceddingly odd, that the Unison branch representitive is not striking at the council for this mass staff cull.

Or at least it was until I followed the process through.

Con-Lib Gov in Westminister give less money to Labout Gov in Wales ( True)
    Labour Gov in Wales give less money to Labour Adminstration in Wrexham ( True)
    Labour Administration in Wrexham have less money for staff ( True).

Yet who does the Unison representitve blame? Westminster of course.
    He must forget that Westminster give all of Wales’ money to them in 1 big lump sum – that the Welsh Government get to divvy up between different services.

So what do the Welsh Labour Government spend their money on?
    £52 million on Cardiff Airport
    Many more millions on Anglesey Airport
    Sponsorship of Cardiff City Football Club

It is typical of the Labour-Union relationship that the problems never involve the Labour Party, but let’s not forget who put us in so much debt in the first place.

Discraceful.

Liam
    Participant

As the person who wrote the story I must say that I was perhaps expecting a bit more indignation from the unions.

The article is here for those who haven’t seen it:

http://oldleaderlivestory.co.uk/news/124740/wrexham-council-staff-offered-voluntary-redundancy-or-retirement.aspx

Conde
    Participant

Well Liam, you know I rate you highly as a Journo…. unfortunatly I think it’s a shocking case of double standards by the Unions and the Labour Party.

It’s funny really, I made a post about the unions and their power links with our councillors only to be told ” Don’t worry, I don’t think it’s a big of an issue as you think”…

I’m starting to think my hunch has a lot more gravitas to it than I originally believed.

NJones
    Participant

I left WCBC after Unison supported my 25% pay cut. I was told that a Unison rep would attend a meeting to discuss this only to find they were sat on the opposite of the table arguing against me. Unison are in cahoots with WCBC without doubt and I will never trust a union again.

Conde
    Participant

It’s the filthy links they have with the council that upset me.

I am not a union member, but I do see the “potential” benefits of it all. However, it’s obvious from Liam’s article that Unions don’t care when it’s Labour who are pulling the plug on jobs.

Conde
    Participant

@NJones 7942 wrote:

I left WCBC after Unison supported my 25% pay cut.

Also, I’m very sorry that the Unions put you in that situation

wrexview
    Participant

I wonder if all departments are facing reduced staffing?

Rob
    Participant

The original post was submitted as a ‘letter’ to both the Leader and Wrexham.com , but author was pointed to put it here as there isn’t a letters page – we went for the more modern option.

This morning several queries on this topic were submitted to the council and so far there has been no response…. As and when there are they will get put up :)

Liam
    Participant

Council response to my queries was along the lines of ‘the minutes of the meeting will go online in due course’ whether they will reveal much detail I don’t know.

wxm
    Participant

We must all surely be aware in each of our walks of life that we are all reshaping the organisations we are in. Whether that is business because markets and the demands for products change, it may be exchange rates for bigger companies; technology (whether materials or computers or) has enabled us to do work differently and hopefully more efficiently, and this will obviously affect those in the public service whether in government or charitable organisations.

Better ways of working are clearly one good reason for change, but we also all in each household have to live within our means, which must clearly be the case for a local authority. Essential change because of ways of working and the money available to spend is surely a natural reason to look at restructuring organisations, and putting the right skill bases in the right places.

What we really need to know is what is the total spend of Wrexham, and how should this be reshaped and why?

We should then be asking how we generate substantially more revenue into our economy, through inward investment, and higher earnings. And if we are to encourage and secure investment such as a prison, we need to understand how this will reshape our whole economy locally, and plan & provide for this.

The financial crash in 2008, which was the result of building on a false debt economy for 20 years before, we will have to pay for a lot longer yet. The lack of transparency and action that led to that crash, should be a clear lesson why we should be open in public about the future.

We all need to understand what our economy will look like for the future, and reshaping this transparently with the many public services people, will lead to a much stronger economy, and future for everyone, especially in health, education, and for our aging community.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

“Lots of Wrexham routes make perfect sense for review” – Ken Skates on 20 MPH

News

Eisteddfod proclamation on Saturday will be ‘full of colour’

News

“Constructive” meeting over odour complaints at Hafod landfill

News

Hundreds facing cancer treatment delays as waiting times hit second-worst on record

News

Thrilling new water park to waves in North Wales seaside town

News

Nationwide ban on wet wipes containing plastic set to be introduced

News