WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

• Author

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Do your best to make the council unhappy!

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Despite their protests, even those councillors that offered to propose the budget admendment failed by not going through with it. full of hot air.

Every councillor should be ashamed of themselves, they have mislead the public.

It’s important that the lobbying doesn’t stop. There is nothing wrong in lobbying a councillor’s electorate either.

michellecook
    Participant

Email I sent to all councillors earlier :D

Dear Councillors

I appreciate this matter does not apply to all councillors, but as you were all at the meeting to which I refer, I have included you in the interest of transparency.

I of course refer to the meeting held on Wednesday 27 February 2013 where senior council officials gave assurances that the Kerbcraft scheme would continue to receive funding and remain at the same level at which it is currently running. These assurances were repeated in the Leader, Friday 1 March 2013. I quote from the article ‘Deputy leader of Wrexham Council, Mark Pritchard, stressed the good work carried out by Kerbcraft and insisted there had never been talks held on cutting cash for the scheme. “I’m disappointed I have to stand up and discuss Kerbcraft” said Cllr Pritchard. “I think it is a poor show some elected members play politics with children and fatalities. It is a disgrace. There haven’t been discussions on cutting the funding.”

I’m very sorry, I have to strongly disagree with Cllr Pritchard. There is documentation available that suggests otherwise. Officers also spoke to 2 members of staff a number of weeks ago informing them that the scheme was to be reduced from 12 weeks to 6 from April 2013. A member of staff was given 90 days notice for terminating their employment on 8 April. Mike Priestly, chairman of TAITH in North Wales also confirmed to BBC Wales that all North Wales councils (Wrexham councillor(s) included) voted to accept the proposed reduction to Kerbcraft in preference to motor bikes and young motorists. You can read the article here BBC News – Road safety: Protest over Kerbcraft Wrexham cuts. So Cllr Pritchard, no discussion took place? I am glad that some elected members have taken an interest and supported our cause.

Imagine my shock, horror and severe displeasure to learn that the appeal to overturn the termination of employment had been lost. An extremely important and valued member of the Kerbcraft team is going to lose their job on 8 April despite the assurances given less than 48 hours prior .

As you are aware on Friday 15 February, I attended a demonstration in front of the Guildhall along with fellow volunteers and supporters . Even then Cllr Pritchard came out and told supporters we had no need to be there, there are no cuts. After our demonstration I hand-delivered a letter addressed to Dr Paterson requesting answers. To date I have received no correspondence, not even an acknowledgment. I also requested that a copy be given to all councillors, to the best of my knowledge, this has not been carried out. Again, in the interest of openness and transparency I have attached a copy of the letter for you all to see.

On 17 February, I also sent a further email to all councillors requesting answers. Out of 52 councillors emailed I received 6 individual responses and one group. I’m sure you will agree that is shocking, especially as most councillors have been given new Ipads and other communication devices.

I am at risk of repeating myself, however the questions remain;

If no discussions about cash cuts have taken place, why is a member of staff having their employment terminated, especially significant with the assurances to the contrary?
    Exactly how is the service going to be delivered at the same level as assured?

Your earliest response would be appreciated.

Michelle Cook

wxm
    Participant

What is the total amount we spend for each grade of officer in WCBC. Someone in the know told me the other day three million pounds of savings had been identified but it has been hushed up. They also told me this was the tip of the iceberg and with less absence and normal productivity rates we could employ 200 less people in WCBC. All this without affecting the care of those who are sick and elderly amongst us, and the provision we want for our children.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    wxm;4128 wrote:
    What is the total amount we spend for each grade of officer in WCBC. Someone in the know told me the other day three million pounds of savings had been identified but it has been hushed up. They also told me this was the tip of the iceberg and with less absence and normal productivity rates we could employ 200 less people in WCBC. All this without affecting the care of those who are sick and elderly amongst us, and the provision we want for our children.

please can you provide proof?

Conde
    Participant

I’m aware that Aled Roberts the North Wales Regional Assembly Member ( Also former Leader of the Council) is a massive, massive supporter of Kerbcraft, have you contacted him?

michellecook
    Participant

Thank you, yes Aled Roberts is a supporter. There are actually quite a few cllrs who support Kerbcraft, sadly not all of them feel able to publicly say so or do anything about it.

Maybe we will learn more if they ever decide to stop spying on me via twitter and answer my emails/letter.

NJones
    Participant

@wxm 4128 wrote:

They also told me this was the tip of the iceberg and with less absence and normal productivity rates we could employ 200 less people in WCBC. All this without affecting the care of those who are sick and elderly amongst us, and the provision we want for our children.

This doesn’t surprise me. I could name a few people who continue to work for WCBC who should have been sacked years ago for incompetence, lack of attendance and continual ‘sick’ leave. I know of one person who has been formally reprimanded for spending hours during the work day on the internet, lied about their qualifications on their application form for the job they are in, is incapable of answering phone calls or taking messages and has assaulted a colleague and continues to work for the authority!

michellecook
    Participant

Oh dear :D

Wrecsam Council paranoia over the Kerbcraft funding scandal is running deep – some councillors now reckon Michelle Cook is not a real volunteer but invented solely to embarrass the council. Seems councillors can’t believe “ordinary people” can be so articulate and passionate and well informed. Well, perhaps they should get out of their ivory towers and then they’d realise why people are so fed up with them. So will the real Michelle Cook please reveal herself :-)

Well WCBC, I know you are reading this. As far as I am aware, I do infact exist. Apart from most people calling me Shell or Shelley, Michelle Cook is my only name. I am a real Kerbcraft volunteer, and have been for over 5 years and at a number of schools.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@michellecook 4307 wrote:

Oh dear :D

Well WCBC, I know you are reading this. As far as I am aware, I do infact exist. Apart from most people calling me Shell or Shelley, Michelle Cook is my only name. I am a real Kerbcraft volunteer, and have been for over 5 years and at a number of schools.

Where did the quote come from? You must be having an effect on the council for them to comment.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News