WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

• Author

NJones
    Participant

@michellecook 3532 wrote:

I’m off to buy the Leader (I know swear word)

Good luck- from past coverage of stories its probably inaccurate!

I agree with supporting Kerbcraft. My child has been through the sessions and is now aware of crossing roads etc. They have taught him more than I’d think of, for example look for the white lights on the back of a car and you know if its reversing towards you.

michellecook
    Participant

@NJones 3585 wrote:

Good luck- from past coverage of stories its probably inaccurate!

I agree with supporting Kerbcraft. My child has been through the sessions and is now aware of crossing roads etc. They have taught him more than I’d think of, for example look for the white lights on the back of a car and you know if its reversing towards you.

It wasn’t an experience I intend to repeat to often, I wasted 50p on that rubbish :p

Thank you re Kerbcraft (have you signed petition? Petition Save Kerbcraft in Wrexham ) There is a lot more to Kerbcraft than people realise. We don’t just tell them how to cross a road, it’s also about reading what’s going on around you, think Hazard Perception.

Also, the fact your child has told you about the lights shows how much actually goes in and they do retain the info. :)

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Have signed the petition. I hope it works.

michellecook
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 3605 wrote:

Have signed the petition. I hope it works.

Greatly appreciated, thank you

michellecook
    Participant

I have received a not so endearing response from our “Leader” :)

Dear Ms Cook, (How dare he assume I am a Ms, Michelle would have been fine)

Thank you for your message.

I can assure you that Wrexham County Borough Council is fully committed to ensuring the safety of all road users, particularly the more vulnerable members of our community. As a Highway Authority responsible for road safety, we fully recognise the contribution this service makes in helping to ensure our young people are well equipped with the skills to respond to potential hazards that may present themselves.

It is unfortunate, in this instance, that information has been released before the full details of any potential reduction in Welsh Government funding have been confirmed. It is also disappointing that some of the information released is inaccurate and has caused confusion and a great deal of concern for those who deliver and receive this service. Translates as, we really did not want you to know that. Note he makes no attempt to clarify or correct any inaccuracies.

It is appreciated that Kerbcraft is universally popular and valued by those who deliver and receive the training. Please be assured, therefore, that Wrexham Council is monitoring this situation very closely and will continue to examine potential issues and options available as they develop further. Yes, I am sure they are monitoring very closely.

Yours sincerely,

Neil Rogers

Councillor Neil Rogers

Leader of the Council / Arweinydd y Cyngor

On the same day we received this email from David I Bithell

I attended a Taith meeting last Friday, and raised the matter with the Chairman. He informed me that WAG have reduced the allocated funds to Taith. I expressed my concerns about the reduction in funds for Kerb Craft, and asked if they would review the situation, but unfortunately the reduction in funding from WAG means that Taith is having to give a reduced amount to the Kerb Craft scheme. I have also held a meeting with the Leader of the Council, Cllr Neil Rogers and expressed my concerns about the situation. He has assured me he is looking into this matter and will contact me about any developments.

David

beedar
    Participant

And how much are they gonna pay for this beach?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

so basically …

neil rogers replies in waffle and politico speak with no substance whatsoever.

good luck michelle as it seems the council is just going to pass the buck and blame the welsh assembly again..

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

If the budget is cut and the council have to find the shortfall then something else loses out. I hope Kerbcraft survives intact (we had the green cross code in my day) but it makes me wonder what other cuts are lurking in the background.

Born Acorn
    Participant

I’m not terribly familiar with Kerbcraft or the situation, but both of those responses made it seem like it is the WAG that is cutting spending, and not the council?

Perhaps a letter/petition to our AM would be more helpful?

michellecook
    Participant

@Born Acorn 3663 wrote:

I’m not terribly familiar with Kerbcraft or the situation, but both of those responses made it seem like it is the WAG that is cutting spending, and not the council?

Perhaps a letter/petition to our AM would be more helpful?

It is both, not that Cllr Rogers is likely to own up to that fact, he’s too busy copy and pasting his email to everyone. AM has already been contacted, but thank you for the suggestion.

Unless you have a child/grandchild who has participated in this scheme then you probably wouldn’t recognise the name, though you may have seen us out an about. We are hard to miss in our Orange and Yellow hi-vis jackets. We quite often get comments from members of the public of how good an idea it is.

If anyone is passing the green at the back of the Guildhall at about 11.30 on Friday, come and say Hello :)

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News

Prioritise support over punishment for young vapers, says Public Health Wales

News