WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

• Author

michellecook
    Participant

If you have a child/grandchild/neice or nephew between the ages of 5 – 16 chances are you may have heard of Kerbcraft. For those who haven’t, Kerbcraft is a national scheme to help teach Road Safety and other skills to school children age 5 – 6. The scheme has been running in Wrexham now for about 11 years and around 1200 children per year benefit.

The scheme is currently run by 2 members of staff paid for by WCBC and is assisted by an army of volunteers at each school.

I have been a Kerbcraft volunteer for over 5 years and assist with training at 5 schools in the Wrexham area. Over the years I have seen how vital this training really is. There are official statistics available that show a dramatic decline in serious road traffic injuries in Wrexham alone during the time the scheme has been running.

Now Wrexham County Borough Council want to reduce the effectiveness of the scheme by making one member of staff redundant as of 8 April and instead of 1200 children only 300 will be able to participate, they will also see the scheme reduced from a 12 week programme to a 5 week.

Whilst I appreciate cuts have to be made somewhere, surely the safety of our children is paramount. Please pass this on, let’s make WCBC see sense and keep our Kerbcraft as it is.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

which dept, dept head and councillors are responsible for the cut?

…as if an unthinkable tragedy was to happen they are responsible.

michellecook
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 3520 wrote:

which dept, dept head and councillors are responsible for the cut?

…as if an unthinkable tragedy was to happen they are responsible.

At the moment the details are a bit sketchy, was only announced this morning. The Kerbcraft scheme is currently under the Environment Department based at Abbey Road.

Yes, they will be responsible. I intend to write to as many councillors I possibly can as well as the Chief Executive Helen Patterson . Perhaps if they were to leave their cosy chairs and attend a Kerbcraft session they might think twice.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

well in that case this committee is responsible…
    WCBC: Homes, Environment & Communities (Place) Scrutiny Committee Membership

and this one should be made aware:
    WCBC: Education, Safeguarding & Well-Being (People) Scrutiny Committee Membership

hard to work out the dept head.

michellecook
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 3522 wrote:

well in that case this committee is responsible…
    WCBC: Homes, Environment & Communities (Place) Scrutiny Committee Membership

and this one should be made aware:
    WCBC: Education, Safeguarding & Well-Being (People) Scrutiny Committee Membership

hard to work out the dept head.

Thank you.

Have also just started Petition Save Kerbcraft in Wrexham

michellecook
    Participant

I’m off to buy the Leader (I know swear word) a little birdie has just told me Wrexham Council has paid for a 2 page spread boasting about their visions for a safe and healthy community. Anybody seen it? Anybody know how much it would cost for such an article?

You can’t get any more safe and Healthy than a few Kerbcraft sessions :mad:

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    michellecook;3532 wrote:
    I’m off to buy the Leader (I know swear word) a little birdie has just told me Wrexham Council has paid for a 2 page spread boasting about their visions for a safe and healthy community. Anybody seen it? Anybody know how much it would cost for such an article?

if you can take a photo and publish it on here.

I’ll do an foi and find out how much it costs and include a few marketing questions about it.. e.g. what were the objectives, how can they be recorded & evaluated, etc.

I have to say the council shouldn’t be advertising in the leader at all, until it improves on the way it portrays the image of wrexham.

michellecook
    Participant

[IMG]leader1.jpg

[IMG]leader2.jpg

Not the best scans unfortunately. Apparently “second part of this in-depth look will appear next week”

Rob
    Participant

@michellecook 3532 wrote:

I asked about this tonight at the Guildhall – apparently its not a paid advert.

michellecook
    Participant

Thanks Rob, I find that hard to believe, but then Leader brown-nosing, quite possible. Also, there is a picture of what looks to be a professionally produced publication. Are we to believe that was also free?

Perhaps I am just too cynical but the report regarding Kerbcraft cuts was hidden away on P2 and hidden even further on Leaderlive, tried to comment twice but they didn’t appear. :rolleyes:

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News