WCBC annual Feb/ Mar roadworks farce

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum WCBC annual Feb/ Mar roadworks farce

• Author

Andy
    Participant

The roadworks/ lights at Felin Puleston bridge. I haven’t seen anyone working there for 2 weeks. Anyone know what’s going on?

Chris
    Participant

I was told after spending all that money on the refurbishment, it was not approved because they have used concrete capping stones instead of sandstone. Also there should be less metal hand rails with the sandstone being higher. When the bridge was assessed to see if it could take the additional weight it was found serious structural flaws. (The bridge has listed status)

There are now signs stating bridge weak point which is why they are keeping it to single file traffic. I was told to resolve it will mean a complete rebuild obviously this means long term road closures. Know idea when or if the remedial work will be undertaken or if they will install permanent traffic lights.

Chris
    Participant

The bridge strengthening work on 483 is nothing to do with council but the responsibility of the Welsh Government. (When did it change from assembly to a government)

lazyjack
    Participant

@Chris 4013 wrote:

I was told after spending all that money on the refurbishment, it was not approved because they have used concrete capping stones instead of sandstone. Also there should be less metal hand rails with the sandstone being higher. When the bridge was assessed to see if it could take the additional weight it was found serious structural flaws. (The bridge has listed status)

There are now signs stating bridge weak point which is why they are keeping it to single file traffic. I was told to resolve it will mean a complete rebuild obviously this means long term road closures. Know idea when or if the remedial work will be undertaken or if they will install permanent traffic lights.

Well if that’s true (not doubting you by the way), it makes the farce even more farcical. The job must have been specced up so how can it go so badly wrong ? Surely even Wxm Council can’t consider permanent lights on such a main route into the town centre.

It reminds me slightly of a couple of years back when they had to redo all the tarmac on the A483 (by Ruabon). I’m sure I read somewhere that the tarmac mix was not right the first time they did it.

Perhaps a FOI is required to find out the answer (to the bridge situation) ?

beedar
    Participant

Employ the PG Tipps chimps, they couldn’t do any worse

keveljay
    Participant

Every time I travel through the roadworks on the A483, joining after the Croesfoel on ramp heading towards Chester, the traffic is moving well until you actually get into the cones when speed reduces down to about 15mph. Why???… there is no r/h lane traffic filtering in, and no chicane to speak about; can anyone shed any light on this phenomenon – it appears that put a cone on either side of most folk and they can’t adhere to the 40mph limit, but brake ridiculously for no reason.

NJones
    Participant

They’ve really messed up with the way they have set the traffic filtering- to do it on a junction is madness. It should start filtering before the exit of the slip so that traffic is able to to merge better. I’ve noticed propel who refuse to get into one lane early enough to filter through are diving into the spaces people are leaving so cars joining from the slip can get in- result people braking all over the place and cars getting into spaces from both sides- absolute madness.

Come on WCBC- SORT IT OUT!

Darlofan
    Participant

What’s worrying on the 483 is that last year they did the Jct5 bridge, now they’re doing jct 4 bridge. So lets guess that next year the same happens and they do the next bridge along!
    Also they are replacing the metal barriers for concrete around the bridge supports. Is this for a particular reason? I haven’t noticed a whole load of accidents into the supports over the last few years.

As for the Felin/Puleston bridge farce, why the hell as it listed status it’s a bloody bridge most of which you can’t see because it’s under the road. If it’s weak get it ripped down and get a new concrete/metal one in it’s place as quick as possible so we can get back to normal.

Chris
    Participant

Ref 483 think this is last junction to be done.as this is oldest part concrete barriers are to protect workforce

Chris
    Participant

@Chris 4216 wrote:

Ref 483 think this is last junction to be done.as this is oldest part concrete barriers are to protect workforce

Well i got that wrong :eek: Looks like it is being done to same standard as previous bridge.

Whilst keeping my eyes open on way home I noticed bridge for Llay new road is built to same design as the junctions so could be a candidate for next March

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News