Waterworld Up For Closure – Possible New Facility

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Waterworld Up For Closure – Possible New Facility

• Author

zinger
    Participant

As far as I remember, a lot of the demise of the football club started with allowing no good, low lives get involved in the running of it. They didn’t pay the bills which meant that Wrexham lost points and then ran it into the ground after sucking every last bit of equity out of it. It is in an excellent position for away supporters with the railway & bus stations within easy walking distance, just off the bypass and there was ample parking until the low lives moved in. It will be a long hard road for Wrexham to climb back up but the Crusaders Rugby Club is an excellent partner as long as they can rub shoulders without falling out.

Alunh
    Participant

I agree with you about the people who drained the club

I also noted the people that were going through the gates when the descent began. Football clubs, even in partnershiop with Rugby clubs, don’t make money (or at least not enough).

Almost all of the clubs that have actually succeeded now occupy fresh sites usually organised with the public-private sector. Swansea HAD to move from the historic Vetch Field or go down the tubes. In the last coupleof years that ground has been host to major pop and rock concerts. I love the fact that Wrexham FC is owned at grass roots level but that will not be enough over the long haul to grow the club. A multi-purpose facility would.

Anyway, I digress here because the ground is now owned by Glyndwr and short of a radical reconstruct of all of the leisure facilities in Wrexham, the status quo will prevail- yunless, of course, the Club defaults on debt and student flats suddenly replace it

ben10
    Participant

i heard last week from someone who attended a council meeting that in order for waterworld and plas madoc to stay open, they need to add £4 to everyones council tax bill, personally that does not bother me, but if they got rid of the mayor and the rest of the pomp that goes with it, that would free up a few hundred thousand to put towards the up keep of the centres every year, and instead of an extra £4 per year it could be half that. Like most places a mayor is a symbolic figure, it would be different if a mayor had some actual powers, so i think its time to do away with the position, even more so now when every £ counts, its an expense the town could do without.

zinger
    Participant

If you get rid of the Mayor now in times of this round of cuts, what would you get rid of 20 years down the line when if happens again. No, I think that we should keep some of the pomp & ceremony to brighten our lives & also as money in the bank for the really hard times.

Alunh
    Participant

@zinger 11882 wrote:

If you get rid of the Mayor now in times of this round of cuts, what would you get rid of 20 years down the line when if happens again. No, I think that we should keep some of the pomp & ceremony to brighten our lives & also as money in the bank for the really hard times.

Quite agree with this….and I would give more power to the office. The Council needs to try and rationalise on ventures that seemed good in their day but are now loss making. All other individuals and businesses are doing the same

99DylanJones
    Participant

Were is the consultation from the Council — has anyone asked the Council Tax payers if they would pay more to save services.
    This is a much bigger issue than Waterworld the principle of open , transparent government for Wrexham is at stake. Why elect 52 Councilors when only 10 make a decision.

ben10
    Participant

@zinger 11882 wrote:

Your not on the list for mayor are you, joking. But seriously is there any point of a mayor these days, when i grew up the mayor visited schools and attended other local events, back then i suppose it was a position of importance, but the world has changed, and you have to ask yourselves does wrexham need a mayor or is it something wrexham can do without. To me it seems an expensive luxury, someone on this site stated the council paid over £100k for number plates for the mayors car i assume, if true that cannot be justified which ever side you are on. Factor in all the other costs associated with the position and i bet its not far off £250k per year. Now if that position generated substantial local investment, then yes keep the position, but the truth is it does not, and i think the money saved from removing the position could go to better use.
    And if it were to cost about £250k for the mayor every year, that would be close to keeping water world open assuming it is losing about £300k per year.

zinger
    Participant

I think that maybe you are plucking figures from the air. Having children & grandchildren I know of a great many events, no matter how small, that the Mayor attends if asked, & which is the focal point of the event. Some people work extremely hard unpaid and it is nice for them to be recognised for what they do.
    Wearing their chains of office which are already in place, a past council purchased number plates which don’t have to be paid for again, the robes when needed are already bought. Would you prefer that they catch the bus? A feel good factor is beyond price. For Heavens sake we don’t have much of a feel good factor these days. No I am not, nor ever have been employed by the council.

johnhoppy
    Participant

If the position of Mayor were dispensed with in theory a saving could be made. But life isn’t like that as a representative of the council would have to be nominated to attend functions at which council representation is required, and I suspect that these events would not be infrequent. I think it would be better to have a dedicated person to do this (i.e. a Mayor) than to hold a raffle amongst the councillors each month to see who does the job for the following month!!

ben10
    Participant

@zinger 11889 wrote:

I think that maybe you are plucking figures from the air. Having children & grandchildren I know of a great many events, no matter how small, that the Mayor attends if asked, & which is the focal point of the event. Some people work extremely hard unpaid and it is nice for them to be recognised for what they do.
    Wearing their chains of office which are already in place, a past council purchased number plates which don’t have to be paid for again, the robes when needed are already bought. Would you prefer that they catch the bus? A feel good factor is beyond price. For Heavens sake we don’t have much of a feel good factor these days. No I am not, nor ever have been employed by the council.

Unfortunately you can’t buy much with a fell good factor, and I am afraid it will take more than someone wearing a gold chain to fetch the feel good factor back. Yes the plates are paid for but the cars still need maintaining, they probably have expenses, cars need to be taxed and insured. What people want is better public services and a safer place to live in. And I am writing figures from people on this site, and admit they could be wrong but I would guess it’s not that far out.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News