Waterworld Up For Closure – Possible New Facility

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Waterworld Up For Closure – Possible New Facility

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

There are clearly many Leisure facilities that don’t make money – how come SERCO (A large multinational management company that run everything from Prisons to older peoples services) are now running the Leisure services in Shropshire. They are a profit making business so what can be learnt from their methods

Ferret
    Participant

@ben10 11724 wrote:

The council have indicated that they will open a new building costing £11 million and close both sites, but they don`t mention when it will be opened, don`t be surprised if the new place never gets built, personally i would say the two sites have planned uses, plas madoc i would guess more sheltered housing and a prime piece of land in the center of wrexham complete with carpark and possibly the land from the police station, if we didnt already have the usual suspects i would have said one of them, but we have not got a waitrose, well yet. So don`t be surprised if a large store gets built there.

Waitrose in Wrexham? No chance – wrong demographic. Also is there really such a thing as “prime piece of land” in Wrexham.

ben10
    Participant

Well if you get a few million quid for it I would say yes, after all jacques scrap yard went for about £4 million and that was a good few years ago, who knows what the premier inn paid castle mead for it, so you can see just because it’s Wrexham big money is still changing hands, is waitrose any better than M&S.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Good to see that there are some Councilors who seem to be seeing sense and called i the decision of the Executive Board.. Let us all hope that the Executive are brave enough to now start asking the right questions of the consultants and get the true facts.
    Time will tell of hearts and minds rule over party poloitics

Born Acorn
    Participant

You could get a Waitrose here, but it wouldn’t be for the people of Wrexham; it would likely be targeting customers out in rural areas, like the Maelor and toward Ellesmere.

zinger
    Participant

I wonder if the Cardiff International Swimming pool makes money. It sounds fantastic. The only gripes in the reviews were that it was a few centimetres short of the full 50 metres, a bit far out if you don’t have a car, the car park is too small & it doesn’t have the traditional facilities such as badminton & the bus service is a bit haphazard. Apart from that it sounds wonderful. A 50 metre pool, 2 x 25 metres, 5 water slides, fantastic gym facilities, seating for 1000 if I have remembered rightly & a coffee shop. That would take up the Waterworld car park so where would you be able to park. You would have to factor in of course the loss of parking charges in the car park as it stands which could be quite a substantial sum as it is a sizeable car park. Do you think that they would provide a free bus service from the outreaching villages? We would need some better road links too.

Alunh
    Participant

This is of course where joined up thinking was always needed. Years ago, Hamilton (yes! that Hamilton) suggested that the Football Club needed to move because the Ground was a restriction on it ever making money. He was right about that (in the long term) because Football in itself cannot generate enough revenue in a small town to progress. What a town like Wrexham actually needs is a multi purpose site which can house all of these types of things (Leisure, Theatre, Conferences, Concerts, Swimming). Unfortunately, the circumstances have changed since Hamilton’s comments but something like this would be my end objective with a part private, part public partnership

dewi73
    Participant

@Born Acorn 11830 wrote:

You could get a Waitrose here, but it wouldn’t be for the people of Wrexham; it would likely be targeting customers out in rural areas, like the Maelor and toward Ellesmere.

Why wouldn’t it be for the people of Wrexham?

zinger
    Participant

The Wrexham Racecourse ground has heritage on it’s side. Any other town would promote that fact to the hilt. It would be Wrexham, Home of the Oldest International Football Stadium in Europe/ World, on every signpost leading into the town.

Alunh
    Participant

I actually agree with you 100% about the heritage aspect. It is something to ponder on long and hard. In itself, however, and set against the demise of the Football Club it is not enough. The problem with the Racecourse is that you can only use it for football (though the ground has been shown to be able to promote Rugby as well).

The choice appears to have always been to languish in the nether regions of the Conference or do like Swansea, Stoke and others- bite the bullet and move.

The problem in Wrexham is that we have a whole series of places like the Memorial Hall, the Stiwt, Plas Madoc Leisure Centre, Queens Park Centre, the Wrexham Baths, even William Aston and the Football Ground that are incapable of turning in a profit or struggle. If they were launched from scratch, there would be few planners that would place any of these where they actually are or would ensure that the appropriate facilities were also sorted out.

I have heard this heritage argument rolled out so many times and yet the Club has descended into near oblivion rather like the Titanic with the heritage band still playing as it siinks.

Wrexham clearly needs a Venue like Llandudno for concerts, iit needs a Leisuure complex, it needs a Theatre and it needs a Sports complex capable of sustaining any number of sports including top class football. Surely we can have the vision to cover at least a few of the angles.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News