Waterworld Up For Closure – Possible New Facility

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Waterworld Up For Closure – Possible New Facility

• Author

gogledd
    Participant

@NJones 11326 wrote:

This has now been referred to CADW’s historic building inspector who is considering Waterworld for protection due to architectural interest and technical innovation due to its hyperbolic paraboloid roof.

Well done NJones!!

Does this go to prove that the consultants fees were not worth the money paid out. It should have been one of the fundamental questions raised in their research!

Ferret
    Participant

@wrexview 10913 wrote:

Looking across at Waterworld from the Tesco roundabout it is an iconic design. Have the Council looked at other uses for the building?

Is there anything or anyone that ISN’T “iconic” these days. Journos are incapable of writing anything without describing something or someone as bloody iconic. The Waterworld roof is unusual is all.

Chris
    Participant

OK I’ll bite name two other buildings of a similar design.

NJones
    Participant

I agree on the overuse of the word ‘iconic’.

As for similar designs look at the link provided by another poster above to Scorer’s 1950’s roof for a petrol station off the A1 at Markham Moor, Nottinghamshire. English Heritage’s listed this structure (List entry Number: 1402678) in 2012 due to the fact that this design used this hyperbolic paraboloid structure and was deemed worthy of listed building status due to architectural interest and its technical innovation.

Another design is The Parabola (previously known as the Commonwealth Institute) (built 1962), High Street Kensington, London which is Grade II listed following threat of demolition in 2009 Click here

Mike Davies
    Participant

@Ferret 11351 wrote:

Is there anything or anyone that ISN’T “iconic” these days. Journos are incapable of writing anything without describing something or someone as bloody iconic. The Waterworld roof is unusual is all.

There is just a touch of hyperbole in your post (see what I did there?).

The Waterworld roof is more than just unusual, it is a pretty rare design and it used to be the largest such roof in the world. It is an interesting local landmark and deserves to be preserved.

gogledd
    Participant

… and didn’t the council spend a fortune on it on the last refurbishment removing all the asbestos from the structure. Surely it should be reused not knocked down.

Ferret
    Participant

@Chris 11352 wrote:

OK I’ll bite name two other buildings of a similar design.

OK, VERY unusual! Sorry chaps I had a moment.

Rob
    Participant

Seems there is a very small one in Edinburgh for a music school roof, although nothing to the scale or awesomeness of ours:
    george_watsons_building.jpg

wrexview
    Participant

It looks like Jane Hutt has found £5 million pounds to help local authorities maintain leisure facilities, ring fenced of course! Where does the Welsh Assembly keep finding these substantial pots of money? I would prefer it to be spent on the Welsh NHS to solve the A&E / Ambulance waiting problems which is more of a priority in my opinion!

zinger
    Participant

We would all love to solve the Health Service crisis but whilst we keep adding to our population we don’t stand a chance. Closure of all the leisure facilities will add to the crisis in my opinion.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News