Waterworld Up For Closure – Possible New Facility

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Waterworld Up For Closure – Possible New Facility

• Author

Rob
    Participant

@Katia 12066 wrote:

Is there any way of finding out the name of consultants advising WMBC regarding Plas Madoc / Waterworld and also finding out if the same consultants advised Blaenau Gwent Council to close Nantyglo Sports Centre ?

Is information available whether WMBC pay any consultancy fees to Isotoro.co.uk ?

Has anybody queried the opinion of Wrexham Town Centre Manager Isobel Garner on the closure of Nantyglo given her role as an Education Commissioner at Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council ?

……

Looking at the link I think they are two different people just the same name?

Town Centre Manager:
    19w5p07watsonINT.jpg

v pic from the link:

group_pic_rdax_380x197.jpg

Katia
    Participant

Thanks Rob that’s cleared that up.
    At least I know what the Town Centre Manager looks like now.

You may delete my post if you wish.

myfanwy
    Participant

Closing the baths seems very short sighted especially as our Wrexham swimming club seems to be doing so well!!

99DylanJones
    Participant

Katia
    Rob is correct- case of mistaken identification,they are definitely two different people. The one that you refer to was the Chief Executive in Wrexham prior to Helen Paterson who is the current Chief Executive. The other Isobel Garner used to be Isobel Watson before marrying.
    Hope this clarifies the identity issue. Having said that the Town Centre Isobel and lead officer for Town Centre Forum that she runs should be asked what do they think the impact would be if Waterworld closed. Surely there would be less footfall in the town as a result.
    The consultants who have produced the report are called The Sports Consultancy which is a subsidiary of Capita.

Katia
    Participant

Thanks for clearing this up for me, its possibly helped others not realising there are two separate Isobel Garners, or it could be just me.

Now I know where to look I will scan the Town Centre Manager’s twitter account for comment regarding Plas Madoc or Waterworld.

I found a tweet on Destination Wrexham from Feb 27 replying to a question what brings people to Wrexham referring to ” shoppers, leisure users, library, gallery, museum – and yes Waterworld!, groups regularly come just to see St Giles too.”

I would be interested to know what impact closing Waterworld our Town Centre Manager feels will have on town shopping, cafes etc.

Even if its just within 140 characters on twitter.

Forgive me if I am wrong but we haven’t heard either way.

Regarding The Sports Consultancy I suppose there is no way of knowing whether any present or former members of WMBC are connected or if so whom.

Apologies for being quizzical I’m just interested in saving swimming facilities in and around Wrexham and am puzzled how decisions are reached.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Nothing wrong with being quizzical- I would actually extend the connections beyond the Council Members to include current or former senior management. The Sports Consultancy is part of Capita that has I believe done work for WCBC in the past few years.

Katia
    Participant

Some say they feel strongly enough about closing facilities it will change the way they vote at the elections.
    To help us do this we need to make sure we find out who is for and who is against. There are articles on Wrexham.com and elsewhere to name councillors, but what would be interesting is to shine a light on who is influencing in other roles, perhaps with anonymity.

I wonder if when the time comes will most remember Plas Madoc situation or will they forget about everything and just vote along party lines. Which in Wrexham I guess means they will just vote Labour, whatever happens to our leisure facilities.
    It would be good if we could have a single issue vote to let those depending on being voted for realise the strength of feeling about this.
    I have a feeling the same faces will be voted in again regardless.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Will people vote Labour — the links with the traditional Unions have all but gone- locally people vote for the person who seems the nicest rather than the colour of their party politics. Mire space for independent councilors but that makes them join together to form an Independents party who then can’t all agree so in Wrexham their are now two Political Independent Parties. You may well ask why this has happened and it is all down to the personalities of the individual Councilors and who get’s on with who. If the two parties in Wxm got on they would have mire seats on the Council Exec Board to have balance rather than a Labour, Independent and Conservative coalition– something that is unique in the UK

99DylanJones
    Participant

Yes the closure threat has come a step closure despite the group who are trying to set up a Trust have put forward proposals that show they can save over £400k in a year. With these type of savings how can the Council be trusted to run ANY of our service. I wonder if the Council Members and Officers will actually speak with this group or will it be too embarrassing for them to find that others outside of the Council can create a Financial Modeling that can achieve cost cutting whilst retaining services at a level unprecedented in Wrexham .

Rob
    Participant

If the cost savings are right then it would, as you say, be interesting to get the group to have a nose at other WCBC stuff!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News