Waterworld not to be replaced

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Waterworld not to be replaced

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

Isn’t the Memorial Hall run by a Charity– wonder what their trustees think about what the Council want to do with their plot..

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

It was run by the Council when I worked there, but it might have been signed over to a charity in the asset transfers. I seem to remember someone saying that it was like Groves School which has an educational use covenant, there was a legal requirement for the land to be used for the community. I suppose they could include a new hall in whatever development they have planned.

zinger
    Participant

I hope that they don’t use the same method of calculating that they used for the art centre in the library, when assessing the usage of Waterworld or Plas Madoc.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Congratulation Wrexham.com on an excellent report of the meeting — looks like it was actually one of the first time for ages that non Executive Council Members have shown any teeth- would have been excellent to have seen it on a web cast–(it would help with minute taking).
    This sound like the meeting had much bigger issues going in and nit just about Waterworld- issues over accuracy of minutes, interpretation of decisions. Lead Member, consultants (being aid £1,000’s) , Lead Officer in disarray and not having a unified view.
    Lets hop that the Executive now wake up and realize they DO NEED TO LISTEN.
    My concern is that as this has been a making if the Lead Member that even less reports will go to Scrutiny. Already less than 50% of reports going to the Executive actually go via a Scrutiny process.
    There was party political fallout over the Plas Madoc issue– how long will it be before we see some more seat shuffling and reallocating portfolios- The 10 Labour renegades have a dilemma now as they didn’t want Plas Madoc to go forward but wanted Waterworld — which side are they going to vote with now.
    As part of the next stage will they look towards Splashmagic to see what they have done to strip out the budget deficit- if they can conjure up a solution then surely Offcers and Lead Member should meet with Splashmagic and take advice from them (be less costly than consultants!!)

PhilWynn
    Participant

@99DylanJones 18896 wrote:

Congratulation Wrexham.com on an excellent report of the meeting — looks like it was actually one of the first time for ages that non Executive Council Members have shown any teeth- would have been excellent to have seen it on a web cast–(it would help with minute taking).
    This sound like the meeting had much bigger issues going in and nit just about Waterworld- issues over accuracy of minutes, interpretation of decisions. Lead Member, consultants (being aid £1,000’s) , Lead Officer in disarray and not having a unified view.
    Lets hop that the Executive now wake up and realize they DO NEED TO LISTEN.
    My concern is that as this has been a making if the Lead Member that even less reports will go to Scrutiny. Already less than 50% of reports going to the Executive actually go via a Scrutiny process.
    There was party political fallout over the Plas Madoc issue– how long will it be before we see some more seat shuffling and reallocating portfolios- The 10 Labour renegades have a dilemma now as they didn’t want Plas Madoc to go forward but wanted Waterworld — which side are they going to vote with now.
    As part of the next stage will they look towards Splashmagic to see what they have done to strip out the budget deficit- if they can conjure up a solution then surely Offcers and Lead Member should meet with Splashmagic and take advice from them (be less costly than consultants!!)

Dylan – It didn’t come out in the debate tonight as to whether officers have looked into how Splashmagic are delivering against their business plan and whether it is sustainable. I hope it is as I want to see as many Wrexham folk take an active role in running those services they value and are sadly under real threat of closure as part of the £45m cuts we are about to deliver at the request of our own Paymaster.

It’s early days but Splashmagic are the beacon for others to follow.

Cllr Phil Wynn

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

Wrexham is not an isolated case, I think in the next five years, as Leighton Andrews forces through the mergers, more Labour led Councils are going to find themselves in a political and moral upheaval. For Councils who are not majority Labour, it is easier to stand up to the Welsh Govt. If ever there was an example of why party politics should stay out of local govt, this is it.

BBC News – Six Bridgend councillors suspended over merger vote

JaneJ
    Participant

One of the option sites was the Memorial Hall this was built by Public subscription — when did the Council take ownership. As someone whose family subscribed to the building I would like to know when it changed hands

wrexview
    Participant

It was built by public subscription and was managed by the then Wrexham Borough Council as a responsible custodian, on reorganisation it transferred to Wrexham County Council. In the foyer are memorials containing all the names of those who died in the 1914-18 and 1939-45 World Wars, together with other memorials one of which includes the names of those employees of the then Wrexham Borough Council who died serving their country.

wrexview
    Participant

Going back to the consultants report what does ” not undertaken any independent verification ” mean ? Surely we haven’t paid for three sets of consultants that haven’t even visited Waterworld!!!

BenjaminM
    Participant

Not a very astute question Wrexview, I expected more from you.
    You really don’t know what ‘independent verification’ means do you?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News