Wales to introduce a minimum cost for a unit of alcohol.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wales to introduce a minimum cost for a unit of alcohol.

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

One good idea from the Welsh Aassembly !

AMA Express
    Participant

1. What is it supposed to do ?

2. Where will the extra revenue generated go ?

jok
    Participant

If a 2 litre bottle of strong cider is going to cost £5.00 due to its alcohol content, where are the people who seek and consume this type of alcohol going to find the money to purchase it? I forecast an increase in begging, petty crime and theft, but maybe I am wrong, because the politicians are always right, aren’t they?

99DylanJones
    Participant

Perhaps a bug growth in home brew again and the booze runs from across the channel– boot full of booze being sold at car boot sales

The Monitor
    Participant

Well it may cause the Supermarkets to put up their prices. For once a good thing. They can then start to use food prices as a ‘LOSS LEADER’ attraction.

It is high time that this problem was addressed.

I would add, I drink regularly. I drink in the evening and never in the day. I never buy cheap booze from the supermarkets. They have seized upon a market they should have kept out of.

Good on the WAG to get things right this time…….. BUT I wonder what the set price per unit will be to make a difference.

Hmmmm

Jamsindahouse
    Participant

Has there been any statistics released from Scotland that show this system has helped reduce the costs faced by their hospitals?

This will not stop people drinking excessively, they will just spend less money on other items.

It seems like the only answer to any health issue is to add extra tax to the items involved. There are even talks about taxing chocolate and sugary drinks.

Penalise all for the choices of a select few.

Bryn6
    Participant

What a load of rubbish. This would only serve to push up the price of cheaper supermarket drinks anyway. No one ever became an alcoholic because it was cheap to do so.

Andy
    Participant

If it is Wales only then there’s going to be a lot of offlicences on the English border.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=97233]What a load of rubbish. This would only serve to push up the price of cheaper supermarket drinks anyway. No one ever became an alcoholic because it was cheap to do so.

[/quote]

Exactly Bryn6 you are perfectly correct, putting up the price of Tobacco has not stopped people smoking there seems to be more youngsters smoking than ever, don’t forget they have never known fags to be cheap, it is the older generation that are packing it up for other reasons than price…. but the do gooders will have there way and we must all surrender :). ….

One good idea from the Welsh Assembly ! Wrexview I think not…

jok
    Participant

What if the Welsh Assembly Government set a fixed price per unit of alcohol regardless of what outlet was selling alcohol? I reckon the public houses and restaurants would be busy again. The extra tax on supermarkets could be used to offset the tax on alcohol served in licensed premises, but my overall view is to leave things as they are.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News