WAG’s response to massive job losses at Airbus…

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum WAG’s response to massive job losses at Airbus…

• Author

Ferret
    Participant

A complete guess but oddly the number was right but the country was wrong. I knew 60% would live somewhere. Maybe 20% live in Deeside which is kind of English

See Inside: The Airbus factory in Broughton

Llayby lilly
    Participant

Ferret, the last thing this forum needs is fake news from you! We already have enough BS spouting out of the mouths of the usual suspects….you know who you are!!

Still no response “from Never-been-hard” I will ask again…I take it your stance is that WAG should not financially support the airbus workers about to lose their jobs and livelihoods? Please do tell.

Well…

Lilly

Ferret
    Participant

My smartarse comments aside, terrible news for those affected including employees, suppliers, contractors and local businesses.

Matt
    Participant

WAG do need to provide bailout money to protect the affected workers who will lose their jobs. Firstly money next to redundancy pay to make sure in the short term those affected can afford to pay their bills and put food on the table. Secondly money to help those affected seek alternative employment or get training so they can go into a different field.

Plaid Cymru North Wales Llyr Gruffydd MS mentions: “Both Welsh and UK Governments must now step up to the plate and do everything possible to retain these jobs and others throughout the supply chain.”

Unfortunately this is impossible if global demand within the aerospace sector is expected to take a downturn that will take 5 years to recover because of Covid. There is literally no way you can drum up imaginary business that doesn’t exist. Unless the Welsh Government are looking to build their own planes. So the directly affected workforce and those within their supply chain who are laid off or lose business need redistributing.

At some point down the line if this all blows over – say 18-24 months down the line then possibly WAG would be able to assist in securing new wing contracts so that Airbus can eventually expand when recovery is possible, but this isn’t a short term possibility.

In terms of suggesting workforce shouldn’t be paid for if they live in England, I disagree as it’s a Welsh based site that adds to the Welsh economy. If an English business failed and there were Welsh workers from across the border, we wouldn’t expect Welsh workers to get stiffed because of geographic location within the UNITED Kingdom.

At the end of the day, if the WAG can be of any use, I’ll reserve my judgement – they badly need to show their commitment to North Wales with every opportunity to prove to skeptics that it’s not just a Cardiff and South Wales only beneficiary project.

In terms of seeking outside help from Westminster, I’m not sure we should need it for a singular instance. Why do we have a Development Bank of Wales set-up if it can’t support the economy and businesses and workers in times of need?

Ferret
    Participant

In terms of suggesting workforce shouldn’t be paid for if they live in England

Paid what? They will get redundancy from the business. Hopefully a generous offer. Then all efforts should be made by their local support agencies in Wales and England to help them retrain and/ or find new work. Why would WG “pay” them? Are they “paying” everyone who has lost their job?

Matt
    Participant

It was a direct response to you boss, so you tell me. You said paid for and I also said paid for. Quiz yourself on that one.

At least 60% of the workforce live in England. Why should Wales pay for them? It needs a regional approach. It shows we are more interdependant with Cheshire Merseyside and Manchester than with south Wales

Anyway Tata are asking for a £500m bailout that includes covering cash flow for workers in Wales, so how would offering state aid to support workers at Airbus be any different?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tata-steel-ask-500m-taxpayer-21927436

Ferret
    Participant

You wound me fatally sir. I am done for. Fare thee well.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News