Volunteers take over from Council Workers

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Volunteers take over from Council Workers

• Author

PhilWynn
    Participant

I think it is somewhat naughty to suggest volunteers are to take over from Council Workers, as the Cean Up Days are run to compliment the good work carried out by WCBC Streetscene staff.

I don’t see anything wrong in taking a pride in the appearance of your own town. Other town’s like nearby Mold have been doing the same for years.

Andrew Atkinson’s background is in the cleaning industry so his input on the Clean Up Days has always been welcome. Our MP Ian Lucas Has also rolled up his sleeves at these events, so it is very much a team effort.

Cllr Phil Wynn

Councillor X
    Participant

I can help you!
    Good old Andrew, not just there for the nasty things in life ……

Nen
    Participant

It’s disgusting that volunteers have to do things that is a basic requirement of the Council – I.e. Keeping our town clean. I hope we’re getting a reduction in our Council tax accordingly.

And they can’t say they’ve got no money given they are squandering thousands on posh new kitchens and bathrooms for council tenants!

I also think it’s wrong that we have to rely on charity for end-of-life care (I.e. Nightingale House) – surely dignity at the end of our life should be provided for by the State.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=110840]It’s disgusting that volunteers have to do things that is a basic requirement of the Council – I.e. Keeping our town clean. I hope we’re getting a reduction in our Council tax accordingly.

And they can’t say they’ve got no money given they are squandering thousands on posh new kitchens and bathrooms for council tenants!

I also think it’s wrong that we have to rely on charity for end-of-life care (I.e. Nightingale House) – surely dignity at the end of our life should be provided for by the State.

[/quote]

Point 1. – The Council has no money so why not let Andrew, Ian and their lot help out! Its not as if they are doing it for any other reason apart from their love of the Town.
    Point 2. – Is not squandering its a statutory requirement as the Welsh Housing Quality Standard requires all social landlords (like Wrexham Council) to improve their housing stock to an acceptable level by 2020.
    Point 3. – Agreed! What do we pay our NI Contributions for? They should support us in life and death. Not quite sure why you are making this point here though ………

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=110844]

It’s disgusting that volunteers have to do things that is a basic requirement of the Council – I.e. Keeping our town clean. I hope we’re getting a reduction in our Council tax accordingly.

Point 1. – The Council has no money so why not let Andrew, Ian and their lot help out! Its not as if they are doing it for any other reason apart from their love of the Town.
    Point 2. – Is not squandering its a statutory requirement as the Welsh Housing Quality Standard requires all social landlords (like Wrexham Council) to improve their housing stock to an acceptable level by 2020.
    Point 3. – Agreed! What do we pay our NI Contributions for? They should support us in life and death. Not quite sure why you are making this point here though ………

[/quote]

Point 1 – Fair point but I just think it encourages the Council to let things get so bad that volunteers have to step in

Point 2 – I know but the Wrexham.com article had a quote from a resident saying how it was great that you can choose your colours and how great the showers were – this is not a show house!! Yes, meet the legal minimum requirement but the cheapest way possible e.g. Get the same standard colour (White is always the cheapest) and the basic shower. Or repair existing units rather than fit new. Beggars cannot be choosers!

Point 3 – I raise it here because it is on the same theme – the public sector relying inappropriately on the “third / voluntary sector” for basic public services.

Councillor X
    Participant

Nen, I nod in agreement! Problem is that it is going to get worse (I would love to add “before it gets better” but hand on heart cannot)

Councillor X

PS I wonder if the quoted resident was on benefits and having their rent and Council Tax Paid? Cake and eating it springs to mind!

Daave63
    Participant

Nen said : Point 2 – I know but the Wrexham.com article had a quote from a resident saying how it was great that you can choose your colours and how great the showers were – this is not a show house!! Yes, meet the legal minimum requirement but the cheapest way possible e.g. Get the same standard colour (White is always the cheapest) and the basic shower. Or repair existing units rather than fit new. Beggars cannot be choosers!

You are a cheeky fecker Nen! I pay full rent and full council tax on my Council House and I am on no benefits whatsoever!! I love and treat my house as if I owned it, keeping it clean and tidy [inside & out] – just because some people pay a big mortgage doesn’t mean they are better!

99DylanJones
    Participant

Who says the Council have no money — the Council!
    The Leader of the Council was stating that Wrexham needed to save £15m in 2016/17 at the end of last year and is still saying the same – this is despite the settlement from the Welsh Government being a lot better an now only aprox £5.5 million is required to be saved but still cutting the extra £10m of services- where is this going –oh yes £1.5m is going for the ill thought out Arts Hub (very limited number of residents will take advantage). What other bonkers schemes are they lining up the £8.5m for?

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=110856]Nen said : Point 2 – I know but the Wrexham.com article had a quote from a resident saying how it was great that you can choose your colours and how great the showers were – this is not a show house!! Yes, meet the legal minimum requirement but the cheapest way possible e.g. Get the same standard colour (White is always the cheapest) and the basic shower. Or repair existing units rather than fit new. Beggars cannot be choosers!

You are a cheeky fecker Nen! I pay full rent and full council tax on my Council House and I am on no benefits whatsoever!! I love and treat my house as if I owned it, keeping it clean and tidy [inside & out] – just because some people pay a big mortgage doesn’t mean they are better!

[/quote]

I appreciate that you may be paying rent but it is not at a market rate so it’s effectively subsidised by the rest of us, therefore I don’t think they should be fitting them out with nicer kitchens and bathrooms than most of who have to pay for private housing can afford.

Daave63
    Participant

I appreciate that you may be paying rent but it is not at a market rate so it’s effectively subsidised by the rest of us, therefore I don’t think they should be fitting them out with nicer kitchens and bathrooms than most of who have to pay for private housing can afford.

[/quote]
    Not quite sure how much you think council rent is Nen, but it ain’t cheap and the council tax is the same as a ‘private house’.
    Perhaps next time the council decide to upgrade any of their housing stock, they should pop down to the skip site for some old cupboards that someone has thrown out! I’m thinking of redecorating my stairs & landing, I fancy a shade of light brown, so I have been having a shit in a tin all week add two parts water, should look lovely!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News