Vehicle damaged whilst parked on 'public street'.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Vehicle damaged whilst parked on 'public street'.

• Author

Katia
    Participant

[quote quote=99257] Many people who want to buy or rent a house with the convenience of a private parking space pay the premium over and above a comparable property with street parking only.
    [/quote]

Rather like stating the landed gentry visiting from their country estates have the right to tether their horse and carriage outside any dwelling on the streets regardless of any inconvenience to the townsfolk residing within.
    Which may well have been the case back then, with cast iron tethering rings often available for the very purpose, and may well be the case today.

Rather like a reversal of 15th century peasant society when townsfolk considered themselves superior to rural communities. We can’t argue that sub-urbanites are superior to urbanites by virtue of living a few miles away from the town centre where land is at less of a premium and thus had room for their own driveway or garage.
    You could make the case for the opposite argument – that those residing in the town itself are more fortunate because everything is within walking distance. The unfortunate sub-urbanite needs either to make use of public transport or has to have the use of a car – at which point they need to choose whether to park in a provided space for this purpose, commonly known as a ” car park ” or they may decide to park their vehicle directly outside a townsfolk dwelling for the duration of their visit.

It doesn’t really hold water to argue that because the town houses do not have personal driveways or garages that a visitor may park in front of them as long as they please – after all the visitor is entitled to do so as they pay their dues, especially as the visitor has their own drive at home with a garage hence they are superior to humble townsfolk. It isn’t the ” right ” thing to do, just because you can do something doesn’t mean one should.

It would be interesting if we were discussing groups of motorists parking their cars all day in Huntsmans Corner in Borras, or in cul-de-sacs at Esless Park, or why not an informal park & ride in Tanyfron where workers and shoppers could leave their cars all day along the streets and catch the Arriva bus into town.
    Of course, this will never happen because it isn’t convenient to do so.

No much easier to leave the car outside somebody’s house in Oxford Street all day instead.

After all some feel they ARE entitled.

Marie
    Participant

[quote quote=99258]It doesn’t really hold water to argue that because the town houses do not have personal driveways or garages that a visitor may park in front of them as long as they please – after all the visitor is entitled to do so as they pay their dues, especially as the visitor has their own drive at home with a garage hence they are superior to humble townsfolk. It isn’t the ” right ” thing to do, just because you can do something doesn’t mean one should.[/quote]

I’m afraid that it does hold water. The road is a public highway, it is not part of the property. Does someone who owns or rents a flat above a commercial unit in the town centre have the a designated private space on a pedestrianised street? And who says the ‘visitor’ when at home has a private parking space or garage? They may live in a mid terraced property with street parking in any village in Wrexham that has the same type of issues as the properties closer to the town centre, albeit to a lesser degree.

Katia
    Participant

[quote]
    I’m afraid that it does hold water. The road is a public highway, it is not part of the property. Does someone who owns or rents a flat above a commercial unit in the town centre have the a designated private space on a pedestrianised street? And who says the ‘visitor’ when at home has a private parking space or garage? They may live in a mid terraced property with street parking in any village in Wrexham that has the same type of issues as the properties closer to the town centre, albeit to a lesser degree.
    [/quote]

Thanks for clarifying.
    I think we agree motorists can leave their cars outside somebody’s home all day if they want to.
    Where we perhaps differ is that I would not do so and don’t believe others should either.
    Maybe its just etiquette, few these days have the privilege of attending finishing school to acquire social graces and many it seems demonstrate the sensibilities of St Trinians.
    In the particular example of the Wrexham.com story, it is clearly a house on a residential street, not a flat above a pedestrianised zone.
    In my opinion, it is acceptable for Ferret to park up in Oxford Street whilst visiting Marmaris or Rainbow House, or for somebody to visit friends or relatives for a period. People that live in Oxford Street may disagree.
    I often visit Dragon City on Rhosddu Road, where it is almost impossible to park up, unless there is a space in the little car park – if there isn’t, one of us usually hops out of the car ( whilst stationary ).
    I just don’t think it is acceptable to leave the car outside somebody’s home all day on a routine basis.
    Obviously some people think its OK, some people will do it because they are financially stressed and can’t afford the car park, some because they feel superior thus entitled to do so, and others that just couldn’t care less. I don’t think it is good manners to do so.
    So in this particular case I don’t have any sympathy for the motorist concerned – its just tough cheese bro’.

Marie
    Participant

For the record, I’m not someone who parks my car outside someone’s house all day and goes to work. However, I have been verbally abused by someone for parking in ‘their private space’ (a public highway with no dropped kerb or gated access for off road parking) whilst I attended a fitness class in the evening for half an hour in the Acton area. No alternative payable spaces were available (the park car parks were full). I’m not sure if the above circumstances would warrant a vandalism attack on my car as being socially justifiable by a theoretical perpetrator? The question is only a rhetorical one but you may get the drift.

Oh, and no finishing school for me – just a Wrexham Comp but I reckon I know right from wrong well enough.

Sheefag
    Participant

I read these comments and think of my friend in the SWP who took early retirement, and who complains about how lazy her semi-literate charwoman is. Or my Leninist friend who drives a Porsche, and jets off skiing at every opportunity. I have a couple of Guardian-reading friends who work as psychiatrists in the NHS – they send their child named Sophie to a private school, and think nothing of drinking champagne in restaurants (£60 a bottle). Then there’s the leftwing lecturer at the LSE, who has travelled round the world 3 times, and who comes back complaining about having had to sleep on nylon sheets in a 5* hotel in the jungle in Thailand. I was at a meeting of lefties this week who complained their cause had no money; at the end of the meeting there was lashings and lashings of good quality wine provided for free.

Orwell’s view of the Left was as accurate in 1946 as it is now. They belong to the ‘managerial’ class of which Burnham writes.
    That is, they are not managers in the narrow sense, but scientists,technicians, teachers, journalists, broadcasters, bureaucrats,professional politicians: in general, middling people who feel themselves
    cramped by a system that is still partly aristocratic, and are hungry for more power and more prestige. These people look towards the USSR and see in it, or think they see, a system which eliminates the upper class, keeps the working class in its place, and hands unlimited power to people very similar to themselves.

Katia
    Participant

[quote quote=99346] I’m not sure if the above circumstances would warrant a vandalism attack on my car as being socially justifiable by a theoretical perpetrator?
    [/quote]

No, I don’t think you are doing anything wrong and this would definitely not justify aggressive verbals let alone a damaged car. I wouldn’t condone anybody damaging somebody’s car anyway.
    I would say though that if I was aware of bad feeling towards people parking it isn’t somewhere I would leave a car.
    Besides, somebody can pick up random scrote expression anywhere, especially if a nice shiny car, and especially if red by all accounts.
    I just try to reduce the risk.

Katia
    Participant

[quote quote=99441]
    Orwell’s view of the Left…….
    [/quote]

Yes, yes, Sheefag …but what about the parking !!!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News