USA Data Collection

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum USA Data Collection

• Author

GasMan
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 6921 wrote:

If any Government has nothing better to do than to read my inane messages on FB or my two Tweets per year then I feel sorry for them.

I have nothing to hide so I have nothing to fear from any snooping that goes on. I have always suspected that this happens but I thought it would be the UK government. It never crossed by mind that it might be our friends over the pond.

Data that is gathered from someone’s private life, taken out of context, can hurt them enormously. Even if you have ‘nothing to hide’, what is taken out of context can sometimes be damning.

An ex colleague of mine was using MSN years ago, discussing his upcoming holiday and telling her how much of a nightmare/dangerous this boiler was, in this chat he mentioned an airport, aircraft type, going off like a b–b, referring to the boiler, everyone dying etc

He was refused to board the aircraft, without explanation, that took him 8 months to sort out and this was over 7 years ago.

Just look at the Holocaust for a great example of why we should fight for our privacy, that started with a badge, a piece of cloth sewn on the jacket or blouse. Do you think any of the Jews conforming to that law, or the communists, gypsies, homosexuals, or other groups rounded up by the Nazis who did not speak out to help the Jews, had the slightest suspicion they would end up in gas chambers or in front of firing squads? It took less than 10 years for that to happen

Andy
    Participant

Considering how much Home grown terrorism we have here it’s no wonder the US is taking notice.

MadMan
    Participant

This is interesting i am currently working in the US and have read that many news stories regarding civil liberties its scary to think that anything you say can be taken out of context.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@GasMan 6925 wrote:

Data that is gathered from someone’s private life, taken out of context, can hurt them enormously. Even if you have ‘nothing to hide’, what is taken out of context can sometimes be damning.

An ex colleague of mine was using MSN years ago, discussing his upcoming holiday and telling her how much of a nightmare/dangerous this boiler was, in this chat he mentioned an airport, aircraft type, going off like a b–b, referring to the boiler, everyone dying etc

He was refused to board the aircraft, without explanation, that took him 8 months to sort out and this was over 7 years ago.

Just look at the Holocaust for a great example of why we should fight for our privacy, that started with a badge, a piece of cloth sewn on the jacket or blouse. Do you think any of the Jews conforming to that law, or the communists, gypsies, homosexuals, or other groups rounded up by the Nazis who did not speak out to help the Jews, had the slightest suspicion they would end up in gas chambers or in front of firing squads? It took less than 10 years for that to happen

How can we fight it? The world is changing whether we like it or not. The advances in communication have made the world smaller and much more accessible to good and bad influences. Some have the idea that they can say anything on social media and are somehow immune from the consequences. We have seen recently that this is not the case. A message you write to your best friend can quickly travel the globe so my advice is use it responsibly.

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

@zinger 6924 wrote:

This is the sentence that I object to.

“Today the United States Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said the systems only targets “non-US persons”, which no doubt is great for the people of the USA, however for people in other places who use USA based services it is hardly reassuring”.

With yet another mass shooting (5 dead BBC News – Five dead in Santa Monica shooting rampage ) in the US, wouldn’t it be a good idea for the US authorities to keep a better eye on it’s own citizens ?

Rob
    Participant

Top story today is currently “Eavesdropping centre GCHQ will report to MPs within days over claims it secretly gathered intelligence from the world’s largest internet companies.”

It seems the UK has been hooking into the USA system.

“The Guardian says it has obtained documents showing that Britain’s secret listening post had access to the Prism system, set up by America’s National Security Agency (NSA), since at least June 2010.

The newspaper said the Prism programme appeared to allow the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) to circumvent the formal legal process required to obtain personal material, such as emails, photographs and videos, from internet companies based outside the UK.”

Usually such things take a court order!

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

@Rob 6931 wrote:

Top story today is currently “Eavesdropping centre GCHQ will report to MPs within days over claims it secretly gathered intelligence from the world’s largest internet companies.”

It seems the UK has been hooking into the USA system.

“The Guardian says it has obtained documents showing that Britain’s secret listening post had access to the Prism system, set up by America’s National Security Agency (NSA), since at least June 2010.

The newspaper said the Prism programme appeared to allow the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) to circumvent the formal legal process required to obtain personal material, such as emails, photographs and videos, from internet companies based outside the UK.”

Usually such things take a court order!

Sneaking through the back door then..

googlespy-768450.jpg

GasMan
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 6928 wrote:

How can we fight it? The world is changing whether we like it or not……..

Don’t ask your government for your Privacy, take it back:

Browser Privacy: HTTPS Everywhere, AdBlock Plus + EasyList, Ghostery, NoScript (FireFox), NotScript (Chrome)

VPNs: BTGuard (Canada), ItsHidden (Africa), Ipredator (Sweden), Faceless.me (Cyprus / Netherlands)

Internet Anonymization: Tor, Tor Browser Bundle, I2P

Disk Encryption: TrueCrypt (Windows / OSX / Linux), File Vault (Mac).

File/Email Encryption: GPGTools + GPGMail (Mac), Enigmail (Windows / OSX / Linux)

IM Encryption: Pidgin + Pidgin OTR

IM/Voice Encryption: Mumble, Jitsi

Phone/SMS Encryption: WhisperSystems, Ostel, Spore, Silent Circle ($$$)

Google Alternative: DuckDuckGo

Digital P2P Currency: BitCoin

Live Anonymous/Secure Linux: TAILS Linux

If you have any problems installing or using the above software, please contact the projects. They would love to get feedback and help you use their software.

Have no clue what Cryptography is or why you should care? Checkout the Crypto Party Handbook or the EFF’s Surveillance Self-Defense Project.

Just want some simple tips? Checkout EFF’s Top 12 Ways to Protect Your Online Privacy.

Having your privacy recorded is never going to go in your favour, it is only ever going to be used against you, this is what our recent history teaches us.

Rob
    Participant

I have just been reading something about the start of ANPR – thats the cameras that read numberplates – an how initial use of technology often flows down from the intelligence agencies to more common and local level.

To start with they were brought out under the guise of them only reading a few letters of a plate to manage traffic and nothing else. Apparently the data was destroyed and not linked to people.

However people began to notice in ‘big’ trials such data was being used to track and place people at scenes of crimes.

From there it has evolved, now each time you enter or exit Tesco or Asda the same system is used to log you. If you overstay your data is linked and an invoice is sent.

Likewise Councils are using the same ANPR systems.

For the new CCTV overhaul in Wrexham ANPR being tied into the towns CCTV system is stated as a ‘police requirement’ (source).

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

@Rob 6941 wrote:

I have just been reading something about the start of ANPR – thats the cameras that read numberplates – an how initial use of technology often flows down from the intelligence agencies to more common and local level.

To start with they were brought out under the guise of them only reading a few letters of a plate to manage traffic and nothing else. Apparently the data was destroyed and not linked to people.

However people began to notice in ‘big’ trials such data was being used to track and place people at scenes of crimes.

From there it has evolved, now each time you enter or exit Tesco or Asda the same system is used to log you. If you overstay your data is linked and an invoice is sent.

Likewise Councils are using the same ANPR systems.

For the new CCTV overhaul in Wrexham ANPR being tied into the towns CCTV system is stated as a ‘police requirement’ (source).

Sounds a bit like the Channel 5 drama Person of interest..

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News