USA Data Collection

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum USA Data Collection

• Author

Rob
    Participant

https://www.wrexham.com/news/united-states-government-spies-wrexham-citizens-32852.html

Many services use ‘cloud’ hosting which involves data being moved in and out of the UK. Likewise many use services hosted by the likes of Google or Facebook.

Does this concern you?

Do you think such surveillance is a good idea and you not worried as you have nothing to hide?

Christian
    Participant

Got to say Rob that headline is really amateur and irresponsible journalism. Scaremongering Wrexham residents into sharing the story and increasing pageviews / unique visits…really?

This story belongs on BBC news, not Wrexham.com .

thewayneinspain
    Participant

I don’t think the british public nor its media understand.

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

Interesting bit of reading.. But I can’t say I’m concerned.

Nosy Sods though..

Rob
    Participant

@Christian 6913 wrote:

Got to say Rob that headline is really amateur and irresponsible journalism. Scaremongering Wrexham residents into sharing the story and increasing pageviews / unique visits…really?

This story belongs on BBC news, not Wrexham.com .

Got to disagree, the idea is to bring it home as its an international, national, regional and local issue.

It is a reality that the data of the people of Wrexham is being spied on by the USA government and there isnt alot anyone can do about it. Its likely others are doing similar.

Enquiries to (local) data controllers and the ICO have got nowhere, likewise there is no method to vote on people to represent views.

So called ‘big data’ is scary stuff and alot is debated at a high level but with no local input.

Could Wrexham take a lead, perhaps informing citizens where locally collected data is processed or what it goes via?

Medical data is one element being discussed with corperate email systems now being hosted remotely.

In terms of Wrexham.com we use a business Gmail account for multiple accounts, although its theoretical the data could be accessed and shared without knowledge.

Rondetto
    Participant

As if? I’m sure there are more places they can spy on other than Wrexham. We’re practically non existent on the map of the UK. Welsh news on tv and radio only want to talk about Cardiff and Swansea.

Alunh
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 6914 wrote:

I don’t think the british public nor its media understand.

Quite agree…..and I haven’t got a clue

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

If any Government has nothing better to do than to read my inane messages on FB or my two Tweets per year then I feel sorry for them.

I have nothing to hide so I have nothing to fear from any snooping that goes on. I have always suspected that this happens but I thought it would be the UK government. It never crossed by mind that it might be our friends over the pond.

It is an invasion of privacy on a large scale but if it uncovers terrorist plots or any other breach of security I will endure it. It’s not as if I can do anything about it in any case.

wxm
    Participant

This probably means that those who are moving to cloud based systems to store backup data, share data across all their applications, and in many cases have shared access to “work” data – this data could be stored anywhere in the world.

The way that data is treated, and what will be done with it, will be subject to the laws of the jurisdiction in which it is held. How will this affect commercial, client, and company information? What would happen if data about intellectual property was used to the advantage of another party in another jurisdiction somewhere in the world? What happens if a medical practitioners practice, or a financial advisors practice, chooses to use such a service?

zinger
    Participant

This is the sentence that I object to.

“Today the United States Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said the systems only targets “non-US persons”, which no doubt is great for the people of the USA, however for people in other places who use USA based services it is hardly reassuring”.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News