Upto 13,000 New Homes to be built in Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Upto 13,000 New Homes to be built in Wrexham

• Author

Saxon1
    Participant

The Leader – News from Wrexham & Flintshire – Thousands of new homes on way in Wrexham?

I just wondered what people think of the headline in the Leader last night.
    It seems the new target areas for building are:
    Cefn Mawr, Chirk, Coedpoeth, Gresford, Marford, Gwersyllt and Rhos

So just what is going on in Wrexham 13,000 homes is a lot of houses. I can only guess its to do with Wrexham wanting city status ! But lets hope they build the infrastructure to go with it as 13,00 homes must equate to at least 30,000 people, all needing doctors, schools, hospitals etc……….

BenjaminM
    Participant

Considering that Wales needs to provide at least 14000 dwellings per year over the next 15 years (England 240000 per year over the same period) it is only right, fitting and proper that all areas should shoulder the responsibility for that provision.
    It is not an onerous prospect (900 per annum in the case of WCBC) and statistical misrepresentation does little to enhance protectionist attitudes.
    It has nothing to do with attaining city status but has everything to do with ensuring that people who are entering the housing market ( whether as a purchaser or renter) have available opportunity to have a roof over their heads.
    Even the WAG (an entity which I have little time for) are not so stupid that they don’t realise that an upgraded infrastructure is a necessity over time but let us not get carried away with the idea that it is an insurmountable problem.

Saxon1
    Participant

I wish I shared your optimism !

Andy
    Participant

If we Import millions of people they have to live somewhere.

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

If you are making reference to the inward migration then Wales would have run out of people to sustain itself about 8 years ago. By that I men if you reverse the trend of inward migration either from England or a foreign country the health service, many manufacturing plants, construction projects would nit be here today. Before you say the unemployed could take the jbs — do you want an unqualified unemployed person to perform an operation on you in the hospital or an untrained electrician.
    Even if all the unemployed people had skills we needed based on the population of eight years ago we would have aprox 4,000 job vacancies in the region,
    The fact is the deamand for peole to keeo our society sustauable cannot be met from within Wales

Sheefag
    Participant

A most eloquent post, Peter.

ddraig
    Participant

There are actually 3 options on the table at this early stage. All of which will need to meet the 10,000->13,000 home estimate. Bear in mind that below this figure is NOT an option, given that the council wasted a fair amount of money by not reaching this target the first time an LDP was drawn up. There will be no option to miss this time. The 3 options are:
    1. Focus development on Wrexham (western edges along the A483 corridor predominately). The two recent planning appliucatons around Pandy/Rhosrobin would correspond to this area.
    2. Focus development on Wrexham and the large villages (as mentioned earlier)
    3. Focus development everywhere in the county (small and large villages)

I personally would favour option 1, as I believe it helps build a stronger town for the area – which is needed to attract jobs and gives Wrexham as the hub a critical mass of population (West Cheshire is doing this in their LDP, favoring development against the urban edge of Chester). In addition, the most sustainable location for large development would be along the A483 corridor next to the Town (given additional healthcare provision etc).

Option 3 would be the worst in my view, as ‘strategic sites’ (over 500 houses) would still be required, but could be assigned to small villages in the county.

Everyone needs to be sensible and realistic, houses do need to be built – and on top of that Wrexham is one of 6 strategic settlements in Wales (Wales Spatial Plan) and the only one in North East Wales. Its future success and the ambition to create a better life and more opportunities for our community will be based on growth. Growth of appropriate and sustaining jobs, together with a growth in population. Relatively large towns and its hinterlands need critical mass to sustain facilities and well paid jobs. Hopefully through the LDP critical issues will be addressed to ensure that the development of planned sites is supported by the required infrastructure.

Saxon1
    Participant

@Peterthewatcher 19974 wrote:

If you are making reference to the inward migration then Wales would have run out of people to sustain itself about 8 years ago. By that I men if you reverse the trend of inward migration either from England or a foreign country the health service, many manufacturing plants, construction projects would nit be here today. Before you say the unemployed could take the jbs — do you want an unqualified unemployed person to perform an operation on you in the hospital or an untrained electrician.
    Even if all the unemployed people had skills we needed based on the population of eight years ago we would have aprox 4,000 job vacancies in the region,
    The fact is the deamand for peole to keeo our society sustauable cannot be met from within Wales

I am unsure how this was read or misconstrued, but it certainly had nothing to do with Inward Migration. If you look at the thread (Speedy Cars) I for one made comments about that point, sorry I am unsure how to quote from one thread to another, but if you read it you will see how I feel on this point.

My concerns are not borne out of any ill feeling towards any part of our Wrexham community, just a fear about the growth of our communities without the growth of the infrastructure to go with it.
    I am sure I am not the only genuinely concerned person about what is happening in the Maelor for instance, these things are all relevant to growth.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News

Prioritise support over punishment for young vapers, says Public Health Wales

News

New video shows Wrexham AFC chairman “Baseball-izing” Football Game ahead of MLB World Tour

News