Unnecessary work.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Unnecessary work.

• Author

EternalOptimist
    Participant

Caergwrle MOT centre only do MOT’s, no repairs, and is a good alternative to the council centre. I used them last year and no problems. They do charge a bit more than some (£40), but you then have two weeks for a free re-test, and as mentioned, they have no incentive to fail you other than for genuine safety-related reasons.

Also, bit of a myth that you cannot do any work on modern cars, especially basic servicing and maintenance. Brakes pads and discs haven’t really changed, an oil filter is an oil filter, ditto fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs/glow plugs, all simple to do. The internal combustion engine still works in the same way.

It also amazes me how many people waste money by routinely taking their cars only to main stealers (sorry, dealers) for servicing. You might as well throw your money away, shocking what they can charge for nothing more than a change of oil.

Recently had no choice but to take my mrs car to a main dealer (just off the A483, and not Ford or Peugeot) as I was working away. They diagnosed the problem (after having the car for two days) as a faulty auxiliary tensioner, and replaced it at £170. Two days later, the problem re-surfaced, she took it back, they again had it for 2 days, and said the replacement part itself was faulty, and installed another new part. A week later, the problem comes back, and it took me less than an hour, with the aid of google and youtube, to find out what the true problem was (not enough lubricant in the air conditioning system). Then got an independent garage to re-gas for a few quid.

How come the highly trained dealership guys have the car for 4 days in total, and replace a part (twice!) that didn’t even need replacing, and it takes me an hour on the internet to find the real problem? Always use a good independent garage if you can.

johnhoppy
    Participant

Caergwrle MOT centre only do MOT’s, no repairs, and is a good alternative to the council centre. I used them last year and no problems. They do charge a bit more than some (£40), but you then have two weeks for a free re-test, and as mentioned, they have no incentive to fail you other than for genuine safety-related reasons.

This who I use for my MOT’s and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Daave63
    Participant

@Mrs Crewe 20066 wrote:

I think the Council MOT centre is one of the things going in the budget cuts, bit short sighted really, with better advertising and a modest price rise it could be a money spinner.

Wrong as usual Mrs Crewe, where do you make up your info from??

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News